Oceans (+swamps) and nether portals

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
Panda

Oceans (+swamps) and nether portals

Post by Panda »

Traveling by nether portals had become a really dreadful process as of recent. The reason being has to do with water bodies where your exit portal to the overworld spawns. Hitting an ocean had become the bane of my existence for a couple of reasons: 1. About 99% of the time i spawn underground, with no idea if I'm above a ocean, swamp water or a perfectly places 5x5 patch of water. Digging straight up is not usually an option. I would much rather spawn at water level in the middle of an ocean, get butt humped by a mob of squids and deal with the nether portal making the squids do something you probably shouldn't worry about then spawn underground and have no idea if I'm getting closer to land in a vast ocean or in a puddle. Being able to see where you pop out at ground level would make it feel less like your being punished for using portals and help you to plan your next portal. In most of my games i make tall half slab wood bridges long distance instead of using portals as it tends to feel more fair.
Never say no to Panda.
Panda

Re: Oceans (+swamps) and nether portals

Post by Panda »

Edit: when i said 99% of the time i spawn underground i meant when I'm in an ocean 99% of the time i spawn underground.
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hmmm... it's an interesting point. I'll think on it.

Personally, I kind of like the frantic cave adventures that tend to result though. Sometimes I'll explore a bit if it's a particularly juicy location like deep strata or an abandoned mine. I think it also contributes significantly to the sense of danger when stepping through a new portal.

If I pop into a cave, I usually just assume I've spawned under the ocean and need to try another location. "Where am I?" never seemed to require more of an answer than "underwater" under those circumstances.

It wouldn't be hard to add a relative vertical component to nether portal placement though (so say if your portal is at world height 128, it won't create a portal below height 64, or what have you) which would give the player the ability to prevent this happening, so let me mull it over some as to whether I think it's something that should be addressed.
Panda

Post by Panda »

Yeah if i realized I'm hitting an ocean i just go to the overworld and make a 1 wide (high up) slab bridge across the ocean.

But i also see your point about underground exploring!
Never say no to Panda.