Question on Piston Shovel Behavior [Possible Spoilers]

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
jackatthekilns

Question on Piston Shovel Behavior [Possible Spoilers]

Post by jackatthekilns »

So I have been playing with the Piston Shovel and I am loving it. I managed to get a somewhat set-and-forget automated setup. I did have some trouble with flint blocks though.
Spoiler
Show
The shovel pushed the flint instead of popping it up. I wondered if this was intended behavior, since it was a hard, heavy block. But I checked the bone block and that popped up. So if there is a logic to what pops up and what doesn't, I can't see it.
All of that to say I wanted to check if this was intended behavior or not.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Question on Piston Shovel Behavior [Possible Spoilers]

Post by FlowerChild »

It's largely whether or not a shovel (the hand tool) is effective on a given block that determines it. Flint is an odd case admittedly, as it is a piston-packed block, but a "stone" one which you wouldn't expect a shovel to work on.

I'll mull it over some. There's a few fringe cases, like cobble, that I have a prolonged internal debate going on about. If there are any particular blocks that don't seem to be behaving as you'd expect, feel free to let me know about them.

And glad you're liking it! I think this is the first I've heard about anyone using the thing since I put it out, which was a bit of a bummer :)
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

It took a while for me to come up with a way of using it that didn't require a lot of manual work. I'm just glad I can have packed earth in reasonable quantities now, I really missed using it.

And I understand on the flint, at this stage my automation is optimized for packed earth so making the flint blocks in the crafting grid isn't much more work anyway.
Hiracho

Post by Hiracho »

FlowerChild wrote:And glad you're liking it! I think this is the first I've heard about anyone using the thing since I put it out, which was a bit of a bummer :)
I love the shovel block! as soon as it came out I got around to using it :) It is quite easy to set up in a mobtrap for flesh and bone, and I love that it drops the item so the items can be picked up by a hopper/chest instead of the usual block dispenser. even while almost at end tech I'm happy with it (plus it's mechanic is really simple yet brilliant) :)

I included a picture of my design blueprint that i used in the mobtrap
Spoiler
Show
about other shovel spoilers
Show
I was too far in the tech tree, but I always hated the fact that silk touch was end tech, mainly because i wanted to terraform with grass and mycelium way earlier.. this tool helped cultivating my desert!