Feedback for early game difficulty curve

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
NotEvenOdd

Feedback for early game difficulty curve

Post by NotEvenOdd »

I'm really enjoying the new early game challenges since version 4.AAAAAAAAAAHHHH. There are two points however which I think are too challenging:

* Brick oven can set things on fire. I found this to be unintuitive (the fire should be contained, right?)
* When spawned in a jungle, it's near impossible to escape without the spiders getting to you first. This leads to a cycle of deaths which is no fun at all.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Feedback for early game difficulty curve

Post by FlowerChild »

NotEvenOdd wrote: * Brick oven can set things on fire. I found this to be unintuitive (the fire should be contained, right?)
Contained relative to the one block where flames are visually shooting outwards, and the one and only block where it starts fires?

Please don't confuse angst over something that affected you negatively with something that is "too challenging". There's nothing challenging about not putting flammable objects directly in front of the oven.
* When spawned in a jungle, it's near impossible to escape without the spiders getting to you first. This leads to a cycle of deaths which is no fun at all.
Same as always (it's come up many times in the past), this one isn't ideal, but the player loses very little from it. Do something else for 10 to 20 minutes instead of beating your head against the wall. I'll get around to resolving it eventually, but it's not a priority given that it doesn't cost the player anything other than perhaps a short break from the game.

Also, I survive maybe 75% of jungle spawns by booking it for the nearest edge. "Impossible" is a gross exaggeration. It certainly makes things more difficult by eating into your first day time, but with the balance changes in the last release, I find it very survivable in most cases.