BtW Succession Game v2

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
ElectroBot

BtW Succession Game v2

Post by ElectroBot »

A few years ago (almost 5 it seems, wow) a few of us played the BtW Succession Game where we passed around a world save after dying (with HCSpawn).

Let's play it again with a bit more difficulty, hehe.

I'll setup up a server (located in Ontario, Canada somewhere in NA) that will allow only 1 player on at a time and will update the whitelist with the next user once the previous player has died and posted to this thread.

- If interested, then post your MC username below and I'll add you to the list. Leave a link to your livestream/youtube/twitter/etc. if you intend to record.
- If you can only play certain days, please mention when. Try to play within 2-3 days or ask to be pushed in the list if you can't (I will do this automatically if I see no sign of play/post for 48 hours).
- To make it more interesting, if possible livestream/record your play.
- When you login, check the time (based on sun/moon) and relog in morning (only wait to make it "fair" AFAIK).
- Post a tale here about your journey and your heroic/stupid death along with any link to video/pics.
- Hardcore mode (ban) will be on. Commit suicide to get a HCSpawn (not at spawn).
- If you spawn in an area with no animals and can't find any, then you may commit sepeku again (after 10 min to get different HCSpawn).
- When you die, please post here so I can whitelist the next person or post in the #btw channel on the vioki Discord (if you have no forum account). I will then ban you so you don't accidentally join again.
- Server will be on the newest version of BtW with default configs and Normal Difficulty.
- The world with be random. Let's hope its not a tiny island (I'll re-roll if it is).
- Let's make this semi-coop (don't grief too much, looting is ok, but leave some if you can for others).
- If we go through the list and players are still interested, then we'll restart the list.

If anyone knows of a better way to trigger HCSpawn on world load, then please post below.

IP: 192_99_21_28-port25595 ( replace "_" with "." and "-port" with ":" )
Server version: 4.ABCEEEEE

Player order:
- ElectroBot (ElectroBot#1327 on Vioki Discord) (I can go first if no one else wants to)
- GreenKnight (@GreenKnight1294 on Vioki Discord since he has no forum account)
- jakerman999
- EpicAaron29
- Jakezoroni
- Dawnraider00
- Pablo_Sky (PabloSky#4693 on Vioki Discord)
Last edited by ElectroBot on Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Jakezoroni

Re: BtW Succession Game v2

Post by Jakezoroni »

I'm interested, probably won't record but I may post a few cheeky screenshots in the thread

-Jakezoroni (MC)
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

I missed the first one; so this is something I'd be interested in joining. Could I get a little more elaboration on how you got to the ruleset that you have though? A lot of that seems like workarounds for moving the project to a server, and I wonder if it's not possible to find something that works a bit smoother while still keeping the spirit of the project.
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

The rules used to be viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7792&hilit=succession+game

Yeah, most were added to turn in into server (avoid having to zip/move the world). I added the "semi-coop" one so we can see other players progress and not see creeper holes where a base should be. We'd need someone to do some server-side coding to do the autoban (we can look into that later if there's enough interest), but we do still want to hear of your tale on the forums.

With 4 players we should have enough to start playing and might encourage others with our heroic deeds (lol).

@jamerman999 I assume your IGN is jakerman999

Server IP has changed to 192_99_21_28-port25595 ( replace "_" with "." and "-port" with ":" )
The server will be up all week except between 5PM EST and 10PM EST on Sundays (playing our SMP Sunday game then).
Server is on version BTWMod4-ABCDEFPotato-c.

@Jakezoroni you're up.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I totally forgot to respond to this thing. Please throw EpicAaron29 into that queue.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

Ok, Since @Jakezoroni didn't play in 3 days I put him on the bottom of the player list. GreenKnight told me that he didn't want to be first so I'll do it. I will also start streaming on Twitch (https://www.twitch.tv/electrobot/) in a few minutes. It might not be an entertaining stream, but you never know.
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

Whelp, a spider got me.

I HCSpawned on a hill near a forest with bordering forest, partial plains, another plains across a river and a desert beyond that. I dug into a hill to create my hobbit hole. I was able to get through 3 nights on only 2 string, collected enough clay to place down the next day, but was slowed down by a rain that started at night. During the day while it was still raining I decided to aggro the spiders for their silky jewels, but overthought how to attack the 1st one with wooden clubs and he got me.

VOD - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/276682239

@GreenKnight you're up.
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

Alas GreenKnight has fallen to a horde of creepers. He did have an iron nugget on him, had 2 brick ovens and feasted on derpy wolves for a while.

Links to gameplay footage:
Part 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8qsIy3Xw-w
Part 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6JeNQJeu5A
Part 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG-DQSILXKg

@jakerman999 you're up.
CrimsonStorm

Post by CrimsonStorm »

I'd be down to make a go at it!
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

CrimsonStorm wrote:I'd be down to make a go at it!
Added to list.

Server updated to 4.ABCEEEEE

@jakerman999 you're still up. Try to play in the next 24 hours or I'll bump you down the list.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Sorry, been pressed for free time lately. I'm planning on starting my session in the morning; after I get OBS up
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I'd be interested in being added to the list. Username: Dawnraider00
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

Starting my run over at https://www.twitch.tv/jakerman999

And logged in to a gloom night! I'll give it 5 minutes or so.

EDIT: Got too excited about what looked like an early double string drop, and didn't realise their was another spider waiting for me as well. He had a skeleton friend with him too. Didn't even get to collect my loot :(

Oh well; 'tis the way the wind blows. Aaron, you're up to bat!
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I'll try to put in a ton of hours tonight, as I likely won't have time to play until next week due to 4th of July shenanigans.
If I stream, I'll post the link.
Spoiler
Show
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

Quoted from Vioki Discord:
[10:15 PM] A^2: Night of day 2: Clay is set on a log drying pad connected to a tree. Had a bit of a scare digging a hole (the dirt layer was only two deep for some reason!) and was ambushed by a zombie. Wasted some stone axe durability to kill him. Not worried about string. I eventually dug myself in and set up a campfire. Need to take a break and make a phone call
[10:16 PM] A^2: The logging off kind of fucks up the time of the world, I'll time my log back to be during the night
[10:16 PM] A^2: Really looking forward to night 3 furnace
[10:16 PM] ElectroBot: congrats on getting that far (I had the clay on me, but got overconfident/derpy before my death)
[10:55 PM] A^2: Night three furnace and a ravine with all the iron I need :sunglasses:
[11:13 PM] A^2: Night 4, small walled camp constructed, all iron for chisel acquired, beginning smelting. Need to hunt
July 4, 2018
[12:00 AM] A^2: @ElectroBot Alright, I need to get off now. I think I am in a great position to build a table very soon, but unfortunately I won't be able to log back on until Sunday night due to plans throughout the rest of the 4th of July week.
[12:01 AM] A^2: If this is unnacceptable, feel free to end my turn
[12:01 AM] ElectroBot: might as well let the next person play and you can come back later
EpicAaron seems to be the most successful so far, but since he'll be busy until next week, well move to the next person on the list and come back to him later.

@Jakezoroni you're up
Jakezoroni

Post by Jakezoroni »

Was off to a good start but I let a creeper sneak up on me on the second night, gg
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

@CrimsonStorm you're up.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Aaron, glorious lord of all that dwells in the physical realm, has returned.

I am free to resume my turn whenever you guys think I should
Spoiler
Show
CrimsonStorm

Post by CrimsonStorm »

Sorry for the delay--I went out of town on Thursday, and meant to tell y'all to skip me. Well, I'll go ahead and play tonight (and probably die pretty quickly).

I'll try to do a video but might default to screenshots only.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Posting again just in case my post last week got lost that I'd like to join.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

@Dawnraider sorry, somehow missed the post. Added.

I'm going to remove the ban part to reduce the potential wait between players waiting for me.
CrimsonStorm

Post by CrimsonStorm »

Yeah, sorry all, I think I'm gonna have to bump myself down on the queue. I think I'll probably have time to play Saturday or early next week! So maybe push me down after Pablo_Sky?

I'll be online so if I'm not able to play when my turn comes up next I'll say so quickly next time.
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I couldn't muster the motivation to accomplish any real world errands today, so I opted to continue my run. Nothing off the rails has happened, but I'm certainly getting up there in terms of my POWER LEVEL.

After a few days of AFKing (as a result of this activity, I have also lost count of the number of days I have stayed alive. A fitting start to madness I suppose), I got myself a handy chisel:
Spoiler
Show
I also had time to eventually knit myself a wonderful wool shirt. I think the craftsmanship is of an exceptional quality:
Spoiler
Show
Something I don't see players do all that often is construct walled camps around the entrances to their hidey holes. All you need is a small perimeter of 1&1/2 tall dirt palisades and creepers/skeletons/zombies are never a problem again! The structure also helps with the morning spider farming (a normally simple chore that has proven the death of certain players in this thread...). It is easy to expand and not really all that resource intensive. I think I set mine up on the second day or something. What are you going to be doing in that hole for the first ingame month anyway? Chiseling rocks? That gets super boring. Punch dirt!
Spoiler
Show
Here's my crafting table and clay drying set up. Although clay can no longer be dried on leaves, an easy wooden drying rack can be stuck to the side of a tree or cactus for quick spider proofing.
Spoiler
Show
As you can see, I'm pretty well established. The only real gut fear I have experienced recently is the spying of a hungry wolf across a river in the woods. I might camp a couple of nights in a tree of something to starve the bastards out. I don't think I have any chance of surviving a direct confrontation with my current equipment alongside the slight server lag. As always, I attempt to club any non-violent wolves on sight from a safe 2 block high vantage point, but even this action proves slightly dangerous with lag. I really recommend staying away from any and all wooded biomes:
Spoiler
Show
That is all I the excitement I have to share for now. I have been slowly accumulating surface cave and ravine iron in my ranging, and now have 27+ chunks to smelt (ugh, smelting). Any tips on what I should do with it? I was thinking about collecting a bit more surface iron and starting with a hoe+axe base building combo, but this might be too safe for a succession game. I could rush diamonds/redstone with an iron pickaxe instead, and make my way towards spawn to build a beautiful monument to my influence (as well as a shit ton of crafting tables).

What are your thoughts? I am going to try to play more tonight, and will definitely resume tomorrow.
Spoiler
Show
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

The amount of hours I am putting into this game generally is starting to get a bit gross. I might purposefully throw myself off a cliff so I can't play for a while.

*ANYWAY* lot's of great progress in today's session! While waiting for my iron supply to cook, I ventured into this underground ravine that I had punctured accidentally when first digging out my hidey hole all those weeks ago. Stone picks make the whole torch situation a lot more bearable. After digging a slabbed ramp for a while I decided to use logs to staircase my way down one of the shallow ends. A ton of mobs greeted me from the abyss, so I put Operation Ravine Hawk Dive on hold:
Spoiler
Show
Eventually the iron smelted and I made myself one of these babies:
Spoiler
Show
Oooh, the ecstasy...
Spoiler
Show
I thought about going the hardcore ultra dangerous spelunker route with an iron pick, but I was honestly just bored of waiting for the iron to smelt. I wanted to do something! Clay is becoming more and more scarce, and I am currently capped at 5 furnaces. I need to find a nice cave or something to occupy my time. Hemp growth is likely going to be the next stopper, unless I get really lucky and find some diamonds!

I eventually smelted enough iron for a hoe as well, and by then I had constructed a nice new palisade to fit my rapidly expanding ego:
Spoiler
Show
Is it resource efficient and resistant to the hazardous effects of fire? No.
Does looking at it make me feel warm and fuzzy? Yes. My empire grows. I am very pleased.

Look at these babies! The base has all the comforts of home:
Spoiler
Show
This massive tree grew in my sapling wall. I have plans to turn it into my watchtower/windmill structure. PROTIP: High vantage points are a valuable asset to any BTW player. Being able to spot iron wielding mobs that would normally be out of sight every sunrise is a big edge.

Of course, the acquisition of delicious hemp seeds warrants the acquisition of a flock of hearty chickens. I somewhat anxiously entered the taiga to see if any unloaded animals still lingered in there, and found two birds. As is always the case in luring animals, I decided to do it in the middle of the day, and next to a body of water. It was dark by the time I scrambled back to base and forced the little jerks into their respective spider traps:
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show
Animal luring is the real terror of BTW. See this related clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zzjjZ3bUWo

And I think that is all the play time I am going to give it today. I feel a tinge of burnout coming and I really ought to be a little more productive with my real life self. Tomorrow, I take on the caves! I have 16 iron nuggets sitting around, so hopefully I'll forge myself an iron pick ASAP and begin moving toward diamond tier. I would love to set up a derelict array of nether portal gates for future players to explore ;)

EDIT: Fixed link
Spoiler
Show
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

Alas, Yet Another Stupid Death

Alright, I just spent the past hour writing up an epic final post illustrating the tragic downfall of EpicAaron29. Unfortunately, just as I was getting to the good part, I hit some dumb macro key on my stupid Logitech gamer mouse thing that I bought when I was a dumb kid and it took me out of the tab and erased all of my beautiful work. The salt is FLOWING right now. I'm not going to even try to recreate the masterpiece, so here's the abridged version.

I went into today's session with no small quantity of hubris. I wanted to rush diamond, locate spawn, and construct a temple in my own honor. I was going to film myself in glorious suicide upon an altar of my own creation! Within the temple would be my diamond pick, an unlit nether portal, and riches. I wanted to be a legend.

These images will explain the gist of what was going on immediately prior to my really, really dumb death:

Look mom! A dark chasm with some redstone in it!
Spoiler
Show
We're going to need a bigger pick.
Spoiler
Show
Should I go back to the surface and restock my dwindling stores of food and wood? Nah, I bet there be diamonds here!
Spoiler
Show
OH GOD WHY
Spoiler
Show
Spoiler
Show

I made some risky moves over the course of three separate ravine dives, but I don't think I had really made a mistake per se until right up to the very end. Even when I was at one heart, completely blind, and at risk of skeleton fire and creeper explosions, I could have easily escaped with a little smart thinking and patience. Unfortunately, all of the sharp wit that had carried me to that point was just about drained. Here is the embarrassing scoop.

I was out of sticks completely, but my body kept telling me that there were DEFINITELY diamonds behind that packed of dirt next to the lava pool, so I stayed to dig. Unbeknownst to me, mobs were spawning in the half lit caverns above me. When it finally hit me that I there were no diamonds within reach, and that I should probably cut my losses and just make it back to safety with my half stack if iron before the torches leave me in the dark abyss, a creeper decided to say hello.

I was climbing up my dirt ramp next to the water flow when he decided to strike, so all I did was pull out my sword, hold right click, and hop backwards into the water. I'm a fucking idiot. Another creeper was waiting in the pitch black depths behind me, then a third. I really thought I was dead right then and there! But when the dust cleared, I was still alive, pushed into an unknown corner, bathed in pure gloom and still blocking with an iron sword that should have been broken. I am practically shaking by this point, but I pull it together and light a torch. Thank the spiky gods that I didn't place the torch in the water flow. Had I wasted my fire plow, I would have died to gloom right there.

The light did not soothe my fear; the water flow had pushed my into an open corner, and I was too Dying to swim out to a safer nook. This is where the mistakes started really being made. I was in a full panic, certain that a fourth monster would come at me at any moment! I began placing slabs around me to form a cocoon, but I hit a snag. I was right next to the water flow. If I placed a block there, the water would flow over top of me and I would drown. Shamefully, this thought did not hit me until I had already ignited the mental impulse of placing the block...

oh fuck. OH PLEASE NOT LIKE THIS.
Spoiler
Show
Fool I was... Even here, I could have saved myself and healed. Unfortunately, I had wasted all of my anti-gravity planks on a surplus of torches that I didn't need and two shovels for the botched diamond dig. Had I not been flailing wildly for another way to block the water, or slamming my space key in a futile attempt to swim, I might have thought to place a block and a slab above me to encase myself in stone, leaving enough of an air pocket for me to breath and recover. I might have even tried to break the block next to me, possibly letting me flow into a spot that was not 2 blocks filled with water! Hell, I maybe could have spammed torches to try and recover some air?? I did try placing a *full* block above my head to see if it would push me out, but that was a failure.

And thus, EpicAaron29 did drown by his own stupidity.

Shamefully, I left a compass back at the encampment. The next sorry schmuck that stumbles upon my beautiful camp will be able to find spawn and steal the glory for themselves. Had I only taken the time to bury it like I had planned to! Had I taken some time to chill out and prepare for my cave dives better, I might never have allowed myself to fall to such a fate!