Solving the Dirt Slab side colour problem

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
Mesh

Solving the Dirt Slab side colour problem

Post by Mesh »

Ok so if you're in this forum you may well know about the problem that arose in v4.A7 which shows the sides of Grass Slabs to be the wrong colour when using MCPatcher. This may look familiar...

FC has already kindly attempted to address this but since MCPatcher hasn't been updated in some time it wasn't feasible for him to correct the problem. So after messing about with the problem myself from the texture side of things, I've come up with a workaround. This works best if you enable Better Grass in the options of MCPatcher. I was able to get the following result...
Final Result
Show
It's not ideal of course but personally, assuming you enable Better Grass, I don't think it looks half bad. I use this technique in my texture pack anyway because I love Better Grass and it never sat right with me that the Grass Slab never took advantage of it when full blocks did, so I botched it like this.

The main drawback to this of course is that the block that borders the slab (the one you would step up to) shows a grass/dirt side. This is because the block beneath the slab reverts to dirt and therefore becomes an invalid block for Better Grass. I've managed to mitigate this a little with my texture pack so the effect is less obvious, I'm sure all you texture artists out there can solve this by using whatever methods you feel appropriate.

How to do it

It's quite simple:
  • Grab "/textures/blocks/Grass.png" and use it to replace "FCBlockSlabDirt_grass_side.png" in the same directory.
"FCBlockSlabDirt_grass_side_overlay.png" seems to not matter when using this method so I just left it. The main point is that since the grass side now takes its colour from the /misc/grasscolor.png file, FCBlockSlabDirt_grass_side.png needs to be greyscale, like Grass.png. This means however, that the grass side will adopt whatever grass colour you use in any biome, for example...
Using Custom grasscolor.png
Show
If you want to delve deeper into it and do it "properly", you can make the grass texture fit into the existing texture of the FC block file, it uses a strange looking texture wherein half of it looks stretched and I'm not sure why, I just fit mine in with it by applying the Grass file as a layer and deleting the top half before making the whole thing greyscale. I don't know why it looks like that, but I didn't want to mess with it incase there was some specific reason.

Anyway that's it, hope this helps somebody. If anyone has any other, more elegant solutions to this then feel free to discuss!
ion

Re: Solving the Dirt Slab side colour problem

Post by ion »

we can make a texture for the grass block side to cover more that half block with grass. this way we can use better grass option. vanilla MC wont have that option
Mesh

Re: Solving the Dirt Slab side colour problem

Post by Mesh »

yeah that's what I did (to an extent) with my texture pack. I didn't quite extend it half way down but I extended it a litte. I didn't like the way it looked when I extended it as far as was required!