Java skin server

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Gilberreke

Java skin server

Post by Gilberreke »

Note: I released a mod version here: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9365

We already have two options for running servers in Node.js and Python, but I kinda wanted one in Java, so any BTW user can run it. It's open-source, with a proper license. I'm using Craftar.com to fetch the skins, which is what most applications out there use, it's a well-known and trusted service. Crafatar will update when you update your skin through Mojang, so this supports any account that vanilla supports, now and in the future.

How to use:
How to report issues:

This thread or Discord is fine, but if you really feel helpful and/or you want to ping me faster, make an issue on github. It will email me and I'll get to you faster.

What's next:

This is the initial release, I would be much obliged if you tell me what needs to be improved. Right now, every time you open the program, it will start caching skins for just that session. If anyone is getting errors, I might add proper caching, but I'm not sure how long to cache skins for and it should be fine as-is. I refreshed a lot during testing and never ran into the limit on Mojang's API.
Last edited by Gilberreke on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
jackatthekilns

Re: Java skin server

Post by jackatthekilns »

I just ran the sanity check and it worked great. At work now so I can't launch the full game. Thank you so much for this.

EDIT
Just launched the game and the skin loads perfectly.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

jackatthekilns wrote:Just launched the game and the skin loads perfectly.
Thanks for the confirmation! I'm currently looking into different ways to have the game automatically launch and close it, there's a few possible avenues
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

Gilberreke wrote:I'm currently looking into different ways to have the game automatically launch and close it, there's a few possible avenues
That would be amazing.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »