Odd behavior expanding maps

Post any bugs that you find *in the mod* here. This place is NOT for posting installation errors or bugs with vanilla Minecraft, or add-on mods.
jackatthekilns

Odd behavior expanding maps

Post by jackatthekilns »

I just noticed that after the second expansion of a map, the map must be placed in the inventory before it can be expanded again. In other words if you have a map, and then surround it with 4 papers in each of the surrounding crafting slots, you can pull the new map out and place it directly back into the crafting area twice. the third time nothing shows up unless the map is first placed in the inventory (the gui does not have to close) the fourth time works the same as the first 2.

I am still of squid a Swimming but I didn't see any changes to maps in the newest change log.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Odd behavior expanding maps

Post by FlowerChild »

Ug. You're going to make me play around with maps, aren't you? :)

Can some map enabled person verify this is some kind of new issue? I generally avoid maps like the plague, so typical behavior is not something I'm overly familiar with.
ion

Post by ion »

i can help you here.
when expanding maps from a lower zoom lvl to a higher one, the game doesn't update the map accordingly. sometimes even if you use the crafting recipe the zoom lvl stays the same but the name of the map get's updated. now for me i don't know how to reproduce it, but happens quite often. if i remember correctly it was an old issue maybe related with the server passage of MC
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ion wrote:i can help you here.
when expanding maps from a lower zoom lvl to a higher one, the game doesn't update the map accordingly. sometimes even if you use the crafting recipe the zoom lvl stays the same but the name of the map get's updated. now for me i don't know how to reproduce it, but happens quite often. if i remember correctly it was an old issue maybe related with the server passage of MC
Well, when thing I've noticed is that shift-click from the crafting result seems to produce completely different results from if you individually click and manually place the crafted map into your inventory.

Looks like a complete mess actually, but I'm a little perplexed as to how this could be a new thing. I changed like one line of code in the past while related to extended blockIDs and maps, but I sincerely doubt that's related to what is happening here, as that had nothing to do with crafting them.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

This is the one I seem to be seeing, which is vanilla:

https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-87
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, after fixing the shift-click thing, I just reproduced what the OP seemed to be talking about.

I think you may need to shift-click a whole stack of paper around the outer 8 slots of the crafting grid, then just regular click a default zoom map from the result slot back into the crafting grid. On the third try, no result appears in the output slot.

Will dig into it a bit more.

Oh, and: UG! MAPS! :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BTW, are maps supposed to lose their existing data when you zoom one out? Can't seem to find confirmation of that online.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Can verify in vanilla MC when you make a map a size larger the data previously gained is lost.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Taleric wrote:Can verify in vanilla MC when you make a map a size larger the data previously gained is lost.
Thanks man. Was worried my fix broke something else.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, given the above thing about maps losing data on zoom, I'm going to rework how maps are crafted slightly to take care of what looks like a range of issues.

Empty maps will be the ones that are zoomed. Once you begin writing a map, its scale will be fixed, and it may not be zoomed again.

If map data is cleared on zoom anyways, this causes no functionality to be lost. There also seems to be a bunch of issues related to the code that zooms out existing maps which will also be bypassed entirely.

It should also be a very straightforward task for me instead of trying to debug all this obfuscated vanilla code.

Any objections?
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

FlowerChild wrote: Any objections?
Sounds good to me! I use maps rarely due to the issues mentioned. Vanilla maps are like minecarts, half broken. I may actually use maps now that zooming in is consistent and works.
jackatthekilns

Post by jackatthekilns »

FlowerChild wrote:
Any objections?
I think it sounds fine. is there any chance of including Caevin's fix to put them all on a grid? or something like it? With the boat changes, finding a particular point to create lined up maps is extremely difficult. If not, I understand, I don't want to push the map thing too far
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jackatthekilns wrote:I don't want to push the map thing too far
You already did when you reported a long standing and rather irrelevant vanilla issue that I wasted most of my Saturday diagnosing :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fixed.