New Release! (BTW V4.A3 Headed Beastie) - NO SPOILERS

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mason11987

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.A3 Headed Beastie) - NO SPOILERS

Post by Mason11987 »

This is awesome! Thanks FC. Can't wait to give it a shot. I only wish I had checked in 2 days ago when I had a few days off.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I don't really play mc anymore but it's great to see you're still updating btw, will certainly check this one out!
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

THANK YOU SO MUCH THIS IS WHAT I WANTED FOR CHRISTMAS
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Thanks man, looks awesome!
I wish you well.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Just tried boats for the first time, they are much slower! Now I'm considering whether I'm going to start construction on a bridge over this lake near my base, just walk around it every time, or boat through waiting until I can get a sail. Before I would have just boated back and forth every time without thought. The change to furnances is so small but greatly appreciated.
kwoz

Post by kwoz »

Still a hunk. Thanks for everything FC
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mason11987 wrote:Just tried boats for the first time, they are much slower! Now I'm considering whether I'm going to start construction on a bridge over this lake near my base, just walk around it every time, or boat through waiting until I can get a sail.
What's interesting about that change is that I think I'm using boats more now because of it. Previously, they were so fast and easy to get that I think I was subconsciously avoiding them because they felt like a bit of an exploit to me :)

I find one of the nice bits about that one is that reliably using a boat while exploring now comes at least with the extra cost of an inventory slot in the later game. IMO, it triggers the "am I going to need a boat on this expedition?" consideration before setting out, or the "man... I wish I had brought a sail" moments, where a boat was practically instantly available to you from anywhere before.
The change to furnances is so small but greatly appreciated.
Yeah, I love that one myself. I can't believe I wasted so much time going OCD constantly checking on empty furnaces before implementing something like that :)
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Wow! I found this post today as I was searching the forums trying to remember how to spawn the wither. I had the skulls and just needed the star to level my priest. After finding the update delaying updating to fight the wither first felt like cheating. I guess sfs is a little further off. I'll looking forward to figuring out how to milk my villagers for what I need!

Also thank you for the sandwich Nerf. After getting wheat and before getting hearty stew I literally only used sandwiches because the hunger return for the effort was great. Now I'm actually having to look at other food options. Thanks for fixing my lazy playing!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SterlingRed wrote: Also thank you for the sandwich Nerf. After getting wheat and before getting hearty stew I literally only used sandwiches because the hunger return for the effort was great. Now I'm actually having to look at other food options. Thanks for fixing my lazy playing!
Yours and mine both :)

That change resulted from me recognizing that exact same thing in my own play: soon as I had wheat, I really didn't think of any food options other than sandwiches. The way it is now, I find myself saving particular meats for their corresponding bonus side dish, and only making sandwiches out of chicken and mutton, which I find makes the whole food system, and the related inventory management, more interesting.

I find the 2.5 shank foods are still too potent to make foods of greater value tempting, but that's likely something I'll continue to look at in the future.
ion

Post by ion »

i never make sandwiches at all. maybe just to survive at first. once i get wheat it's all ham and eggs all the way. also i stop at dinner things and never make any bowl recipes. i get some by trading with villagers, but by that time the villagers are only used to fast level as all of what they sell is mostly obsolete
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

ion wrote:i never make sandwiches at all. maybe just to survive at first. once i get wheat it's all ham and eggs all the way.
Yup, if you're breeding your own food that seems like a fairly natural thing to happen. I'm hardly breeding at all anymore in my more recent worlds though, as I find I tend to have a surplus of animal products stashed away after I'm done exploring for villages. When you have a random assortment of meats from something like that I find sandwiches would tend to become the automatic food choice.
i get some by trading with villagers, but by that time the villagers are only used to fast level as all of what they sell is mostly obsolete
Yup, agreed that they aren't particularly practical at that point in progression. Trades like that (not just food), I tend to include for tutorial purposes, in terms of reminding people that there are other bits in the mod they may not have been aware of. Often times if I rediscover parts of the mod that I had forgotten about, I will actually try to put in a villager trade related to it under the assumption that other players have likely forgotten about it too.

Because yes, otherwise, they're largely intended just to flesh out the progression in terms of leveling villagers up, as well as provide a bit of character in terms of the villagers selling items thematically appropriate to their profession.
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

FlowerChild wrote:
ion wrote:i never make sandwiches at all. maybe just to survive at first. once i get wheat it's all ham and eggs all the way.
Yup, if you're breeding your own food that seems like a fairly natural thing to happen. I'm hardly breeding at all anymore in my more recent worlds though, as I find I tend to have a surplus of animal products stashed away after I'm done exploring for villages. When you have a random assortment of meats from something like that I find sandwiches would tend to become the automatic food choice.
i get some by trading with villagers, but by that time the villagers are only used to fast level as all of what they sell is mostly obsolete
Yup, agreed that they aren't particularly practical at that point in progression. Trades like that (not just food), I tend to include for tutorial purposes, in terms of reminding people that there are other bits in the mod they may not have been aware of. Often times if I rediscover parts of the mod that I had forgotten about, I will actually try to put in a villager trade related to it under the assumption that other players have likely forgotten about it too.

Because yes, otherwise, they're largely intended just to flesh out the progression in terms of leveling villagers up, as well as provide a bit of character in terms of the villagers selling items thematically appropriate to their profession.
I think my reason for not doing sammiches all that much is for the opposite reason, that my hoarder "don't waste it" instinct kinda leaves me scarfing a lot of poached eggs leftover from my chicken coop design upgrades and my quest to flesh out an ass-ton of feathers for arrows and other craftables. Poached eggs and their occupancy of the inventory slot is no big cost right now because most of my recent gameplay has been sedentary work around the base with diamond-level tools in terraforming and underground farm construction.

Notably, I also had a massive surplus from village hunting, but you might recall some posts ago that I'd lost some progress to chunk corruption. In restoring to an earlier save, I lost much of that, and I was able to re-navigate to the same villages for a little less roaming cost -- in effect, I have the stockpile equivalent of having cheated to find my villages.

I will concur, however, that with the chicken meat surplus from feather culls, the food item I most often dump them into is sandwiches, however, which I weakly prefer over poached eggs for roaming purposes due to inventory space.
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
Xaedblade

Post by Xaedblade »

Holly Freaking Crap!!! You are awesome!!!! the changes you made make so much sense!!! and will be greatly welcomed by me :D
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

FlowerChild wrote: Yup, agreed that they aren't particularly practical at that point in progression. Trades like that (not just food), I tend to include for tutorial purposes, in terms of reminding people that there are other bits in the mod they may not have been aware of. Often times if I rediscover parts of the mod that I had forgotten about, I will actually try to put in a villager trade related to it under the assumption that other players have likely forgotten about it too.

Not perfectly related, but I do like the villagers' trades hat force you to build new buildings that I wouldn't have otherwise made. Normally I would never bother looking for melons or cocoa beans, and I wouldn't build nether or jungle mob farms until post-steel. But having the villagers request such things gives a good incentive to branch out and experiment with more systems in the mod.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

dawnraider wrote: Not perfectly related, but I do like the villagers' trades hat force you to build new buildings that I wouldn't have otherwise made. Normally I would never bother looking for melons or cocoa beans, and I wouldn't build nether or jungle mob farms until post-steel. But having the villagers request such things gives a good incentive to branch out and experiment with more systems in the mod.
Oh yeah, that's certainly a big part of the design, essentially pushing people towards larger farms and automation builds. Like in my current world it was the priest trades that finally motivated me to build a mob trap, and the village I have fortified has some rather large farms in it now for trading purposes.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

So... this version made me realize that the previous two version numbers had puns in them. Somehow I never questioned the meanings of "humped camel" or "timing rodent" until now.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

gaga654 wrote:So... this version made me realize that the previous two version numbers had puns in them. Somehow I never questioned the meanings of "humped camel" or "timing rodent" until now.
I'm curious, but also ignorant of pop culture. Mind sharing?
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Dorugami wrote:
gaga654 wrote:So... this version made me realize that the previous two version numbers had puns in them. Somehow I never questioned the meanings of "humped camel" or "timing rodent" until now.
I'm curious, but also ignorant of pop culture. Mind sharing?
Versions as of yet
Show
Version 4.A3 Headed Beastie
Version 4.A2 Timing Rodent
Version 4.A1 Humped Camel
Version 4.A Dingo
Version 4.99999A0F Marsupial!?!?
Version 4.99999A0E Marsupial?!!!
Version 4.99999A0D Marsupial??!!
Version 4.99999A0C Marsupial?!
Version 4.9Marsupial?
Version 4.89PHILLIP
Version 4.89999999
Version 4.8999999
Version 4.899999
Version 4.89999
Version 4.89667
Version 4.89666
Version 4.8942
Version 4.8915
Version 4.8914
Version 4.8913
Version 4.8912
Version 4.89113
Version 4.891124
Version 4.891123
Version 4.89112
Version 4.8911
Version 4.891
Version 4.89
Version 4.88
Version 4.87
Version 4.86
Version 4.85b
Version 4.85
Version 4.84
Version 4.83
Version 4.82
Version 4.81
Version 4.80
Version 4.71
Version 4.70
Version 4.69
Version 4.68
Version 4.67
Version 4.66
Version 4.65
Version 4.64
Version 4.62
Version 4.61
Version 4.60
Version 4.59
Version 4.58
Version 4.57
Version 4.56
Version 4.55
Version 4.54
Version 4.53
Version 4.52
Version 4.51
Version 4.50
Version 4.42
Version 4.41
Version 4.40
Version 4.38
Version 4.37
Version 4.36
Version 4.35
Version 4.34
Version 4.33
Version 4.32
Version 4.31
Version 4.30
Version 4.22
Version 4.21
Version 4.20
Version 4.16
Version 4.15
Version 4.14
Version 4.13
Version 4.12
Version 4.11
Version 4.10
Version 4.01
Version 4.00
Version 3.xx
Version 2.xx
Version 1.xx
Everything in the version numbering is quite normal up until the later 4.8 versions where we have a little wave forming that later turns into a tsunami of 9's. Thereafter he shows a clear indication of damage presumably due to the receding waters, where after he cries out to an assumed fart smeller Phillip, he gets whisked away to the land down under with their weird base 8 counting systems. After tripping out for a while being carried around in a pouch he stops by Sesame Street picking up the count. Since then they have been gradually making their way across the land to the gates of Hades.. Unsure of whether or not Cerberus actually likes cookies.

That's all I've gotten so far, but there is quite a thrilling tale being told in the version numbers.

TLDR
Show
A THREE Headed Beastie
A TWO Timing Rodent
A ONE Humped Camel
A Dingo
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
hawk

Post by hawk »

Checked the forums today on a whim...

And man that changelog is downright sexy :) The anvil change alone would have been enough to require another play through after my year-long break but the changes to boats/wither's/food promise to be a lot of fun. Furnace quality of life is a nice addition as well.

And maybe, after well over 1000 hours logged previously in this epic mod, I'll finally find my first single player BTW carrot.

Thanks, man! This was unexpected gift... the best kind. Now excuse me, I now have an itch that needs a good scratching.