The controller thread (HOTAS, Steam Controller, etc)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Gilberreke

Re: The controller thread (HOTAS, Steam Controller, etc)

Post by Gilberreke »

dawnraider wrote:I tried it a few years ago using my friend's flight joystick for movement because I was actually considering exactly that and I wanted to see if it'd be an improvement. It was cool, but I felt it didn't really add too much. Yeah it's nice to be able to have analog movement but between the two I don't feel the analog offered significant improvement. But that's just personal preference, and I actually really like using a keyboard for gaming anyways so I'm sure that's part of it.
Thanks for elaborating! Very interesting to hear other's opinions on this.
dawnraider wrote: I've tried mapping movement to the thumbstick before on my G13, but I don't like it too much for a couple reasons:
1. Because of the location of the thumbstick, your thumb rests on it at an angle so it can be a little difficult to maintain smooth movement with it.
2. The resistance is a little high (which contributes to #1) so you have to use more force to move it than is convenient for something like movement (or anything that requires rapid change in input)
Yeah, I've heard this too, that the G13 joystick is in a very awkward spot. I wanted the opinion of someone that tried it for movement in FPS. That's really too bad, as the G13 is the only one with analog support (apart from some older Saitek products, which I might need to look into).
dawnraider wrote:3. It's not analog anyways. There's a very distinct turn on point about halfway through moving the thumbstick with immediate movement and no difference until the edge.
It's very decidedly analog, but you have to go into the software and enable it. By default, it's set to 8 directional.
dawnraider wrote:I still love my G13 for the extra buttons and the better shape for my wrist, and it also lets me have my arms spaced evenly to either side (I like to keep my keyboard centered on the screen), but it's not going to revolutionize how games are played. It's basically just a different layout for keyboard input. If your issue with a keyboard for gaming is the feel of the keyboard the G13 may help (I definitely think it's a better experience) but if you don't like the digital input it won't offer an improvement.
Yeah, I think you're right, unless the analog stick is usable, it's not going to majorly improve my life. My PlayStation Navigation Controller just arrived btw, so I'll be sure to give my thoughts on that, seeing as you can pick one up for only like $6.

Thanks for the long reply!
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
dawnraider

Re: The controller thread (HOTAS, Steam Controller, etc)

Post by dawnraider »

Gilberreke wrote:
dawnraider wrote:3. It's not analog anyways. There's a very distinct turn on point about halfway through moving the thumbstick with immediate movement and no difference until the edge.
It's very decidedly analog, but you have to go into the software and enable it. By default, it's set to 8 directional.
Huh, well good to know. I guess I never saw that. Glad I could help though!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!