ECO (Global Survival)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Taleric

ECO (Global Survival)

Post by Taleric »

https://www.strangeloopgames.com/eco/

Pricey but I would love to play on a BTW members server.

Bottom line up front:

Alpha with about 2/3 features in.

Every in game day unlocks more skill points based on the more well rounded your diet is.

Survival crafting game where all plants, animals and environment are tracked by the server. If you kill all of something they are gone forever. There is a forced failure state that has a meteor on collision course unless you tech up high enough to stop it without killing environment in the process.

Pollution can enter air and water killing off plants and animals.

Tech tree is massive encouraging multiplayer sepecialization.

There is a voting and law system in game to include currency infrastructure to experiment with government, economy and policy.

The carry capacity is very hampered so roads, mechanical locomotion and machines are very desired (take a long time to tech to).

Crafting stations have various building requirements that force reasonable building sizes and growth.

Very much reminds me of terrafirma but more focused and accessible.

If all the design goals are met it will be a great play. They have some type of grant so very likely.

Would love to join BTW server, post here if anyone starts one.
Taleric

Re: ECO (Global Survival)

Post by Taleric »

I tossed a server up for ECO. I will keep the same map as long as possible and give notice if an update forces a change.

Later this year I will do a 7DtD and Empyrion server once ECO is played out.

Paige ECO Community
IP: 107.175.50.194
Port: 3030 or 3031
abculatter_2

Post by abculatter_2 »

I actually want to get a degree in Evironmental Engineering when I grow up (whenever that will be) so this is EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm interested in, and I'm super stoked about trying it out with a group of people!

If anyone is interested, the early access program has a 4-pack option that reduces the per-person cost of buying the game, down to $30 per game. So we could buy the pack collectively instead of individually.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I like the Classroom tier. It's clear that they are intent on making the best environmental and civil simulator possible
Better is the enemy of Good
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I have just started smelting and am having to figure what be done with the waste. Twenty eight days to stop the meteor. I dead ever login to see the count on plants and animals for the ones near extinct.

It would be interesting to run the finalized ECO and set a week or 72 hours to meteor strike or conversely obsene resource requirements to build the saving tech.
GunGuyGunner

Post by GunGuyGunner »

I'm really highly considering buying this, is the game worth the asking price and does it have enough content in it?
Really am Ummming and Aaaarrrring cus I really don't wanna buy another early access survival game thats just like everything else :(

It seems like a real interesting game but just worried it may not be ready yet.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Here's a Let's Play by Paul Soares Jr:

I have a few reservations about it myself, so I'm trying to gauge how fun it is by watching this LP.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

GunGuyGunner wrote:I'm really highly considering buying this, is the game worth the asking price and does it have enough content in it?
Really am Ummming and Aaaarrrring cus I really don't wanna buy another early access survival game thats just like everything else :(

It seems like a real interesting game but just worried it may not be ready yet.
At this time I say wait. I am having a good time but the feeling of grind is near. If you have a good group of 5+ people that like to socialize it is a great experiance.

Add to that a server of a large size and you could get lost in the noise, tech to a specific roll such as metal smith or highwayman and enjoy "RP" that role.

There is incredible potential for immersive play with the environment impact, voting, currency ect.

BUT

You have to have a good group of active people. There is no danger besides the impending meteor impact if you fail to tech to stop it or you kill the environment.

So wait till it comes out and hits a peak user count.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

My issue with what you're saying is that people said the same thing about TerraFirmacraft about user roles and it just doesn't work that way. People don't want to do the same thing over and over. They're not always online, etc.

So yeah, if it works, fine, but I'm apprehensive.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

For sure wait but over TFC ECO has set throttled skill point acquisition and resources are very challenging to collect in mass.

In TFC your repeatedly craftitems and make higher quality goods. In ECO you make the goods faster and at much reduced material cost.

If you put all your point into let's say cart making, some dude can make a cart unskilled for 26 boards in 4 min or from you for the just 5 boards in 10 seconds if your skills are maxed.

There is a "store block" where you can place your stuff and list a sale price for sale while you are away.

The tech tree is very robust and with most servers restarting a meteor impact you will be the master of that skill and listed as such on various tool tips the game tracks.

So ECO has a bunch of user friendly information pointing to you if you are best at a skill, the map shows your location and property claim. It is very very easy to stumble across the fact someone is the best at a skill compared to TFC, as well as locate their staging area.

I very much believe this is the closest system to giving players specific jobs.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Taleric wrote:I very much believe this is the closest system to giving players specific jobs.
Let's hope you're right, it does sound like they have an inkling of what they are doing