New Release! (Version 2.94)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: New Release! (Version 2.94)

Post by FlowerChild »

Hey guys, just to resurrect this thread:

Any feedback on the last BTW release? I think the usual posts about impression and such were sidetracked by my vacation :)

More specifically, I'd actually like to hear your thoughts on the last 2 releases (going back to 2.93) since 2.94 was just a quick "patch" at the end.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

I've been slowly playing through with a focus on the tech tree changes you made. I really approve of the tech tree idea and structure. It's fairly intuitive and adds really solid direction to the evolution from vMC. The only real downside is having to consult the wiki to figure out what the next goal should be. I believe you've mentioned the possibility modding in new achievements in the future which could help remedy that problem. But that's a relatively minor concern.

With respect to bugs with the current release, I haven't encountered anything significant to date, everything is ticking along great so far. Granted I'm not up to the newest features in the tree yet so I can't comment on those specifically but everything up to the saw and hopper on the tree appears to work as advertised.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

For people's reference on what 2.93 added

I thought it was a fantastic update. I started a new world because I hadn't played since a much earlier version. I don't really have any criticism because I really did like all of it. I'm excited to see where you go with things like tallow, but overall I'm able to create all of the automation systems I want to make and it's even fun to do relatively mundane things like mine with the steel tools. I also like the composite bow a lot.

I missed these last time I played:

Added ability to grind flowers in the mill stone to produce dyes.
Added ability to cook cactus in the Cauldron to produce green dye.
Added ability to cook sand and gunpowder into TnT in the Cauldron (complete with hazards).

the last one, what does "complete with hazards" mean exactly? I've already blown my base sky high by accidentally stoking hellfire dust in a cauldron >_>.

It did force me to rebuild my whole cooking/smelting operation into a much neater arrangement though, so it was probably for the best.

Only bug I can think of was the battle axe only getting back 2 steel (and the weird detector block bug I mentioned) but neither of those are big deals. I stopped using my axe to get logs a while ago.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Ok, let's do it for real then :
-Added the Anvil.
This one was expected, and is, for future features, a good way to make sure the player will go through the tech tree before being able to craft blocks from the next age. I think that most of the new features you'll add should only be craftable with the Anvil.

-Added the Armor Plate as a new item.
-Added Plate Helm, Plate Breastplate, Plate Leggings, and Plate boots as new items.
Same here, expected.
Though I hoped you would come up with something more ... FC-like, than just a good old classic 3x3 crafting.
Is that the final recipe, or do you have something else in mind ?
I believe that, since iron armors are already infinite thanks to the crucible, the Steel armor set, which is way more powerfull than the iron one, would require more things than "just" some steel (recyclable) and some straps.

-Added the Composite Bow.
-Added Broadhead arrow heads, and Broadhead Arrows.
I wasn't expecting this one though :) Waiting to see how you handle the new bow mechanisms from 1.8 to say more, but so far, so good :)

-Added Coal Dust as an item (which can be made from both coal and charcoal)
-Added ability to cook Coal Dust & Hellfire Dust in the Cauldron to create Nethercoal (and removed the old crafting recipe to create Nethercoal). 1 unit of Coal Dust & 4 units of Hellfire Dust are required to create 2 pieces of Nethercoal.
Automation FTW :) Thanks for that ;)

-Added alternate recipe for the Gear Box using wood Panels instead of wood blocks.
Several times I tried to use panels to craft GB, and I always forgot it wasn't in yet, and thought "damn, GB are expensive, let cut down some more trees" so cool one :) If you could add a couple of alternate recipe in every release, I'd love you even more ;)

-Added ability to melt down rails in the Crucible at 16 to 6 rail to iron conversion ratio.
Now I finally have something to do with the dozens of rails I crafted, and never used ^^

-Added an option to the config file to disable the mod's minecart tweeks.
Oh ? What made you change your mind on this one ?

-Added ability for Detector block to "see" fully grown wheat occupying the block to the front and below it.
Awesome ! Working like a charm :)

-Added ability for the Crucible to pick up loose objects on top of it.
And ... some more automation FTW :)

-Added ability for items to flow over the top of the Cauldron if they can not be swallowed by it (same thing applies to the Crucible).
So ... only items that have a cauldron/recipe will get in ? Awesome :)

-Added ability to dye wool in a heated Cauldron at a ratio of 8 wool to 1 dye.
I realy love this one, as silly as it may be :p

-Added ability to grind flowers in the mill stone to produce dyes.
-Added ability to cook cactus in the Cauldron to produce green dye.
Damn, I didn't even saw this ones untill now ! I was about to suggest that to you, but you already did it !

-Added ability to cook sand and gunpowder into TnT in the Cauldron (complete with hazards).
Haven't tested this one yet. I'm kinda worried about the result (you twisted bastard ^^)

-Added ability to cook string into wool. I'm not sure if this makes much sense, but neither does crafting spider silk into wool to begin with and I was sick of having to manually craft string into wool to save on storage space. Insert magical explanation for what happens to giant-spider-silk when you cook it here :)
Oh man, I love this one so much :)
Now my mobtrap filters the string straight into a cauldron ! No more useless strings :)
Any chance to "magically" turn 2 hemp fibers into 1 string the same way ?

-Added ability to render string and wool into glue, but it takes rather massive quantities.
Still waiting to see how you handle the new changes to the spawning in 1.8, and the breeding in 1.9 (or will it be in 2.0?) and how it affects the animal bi-products to commentate on this one.

-Added ability for Planters to sprout flowers if left alone without anything planted in them for a long while.
Cool one :) How longs does it takes (roughly) ? And what are the conditions ?

-Added recipe to make torches out of Nethercoal.
Already discussed in the Suggestion subforum ;)

-Added Forge version checking. A descriptive error message will now be displayed if you are using an inappropriate version of the Forge with BTW.
I'm sure I'll never see such a message ;)
Nice idea though !

-Changed name of the Refined Axe to the "Battle Axe" and increased the damage it does to mobs. The recipe also requires 2 more steel than previously (for the double head). It is now a combination tool/weapon (although not quite as effective as a Longsword as a weapon).
Now I have a real reason to use my axe on mobs. Even if I always did, without any reason ^^

-Changed axes to be effective against cactus.
Never thought that punching a cactus was too slow, but why not :p

On a slightly related note, any chance to make the steel pickaxe a bit faster with all of the BTW stone-based blocks ?

-Changed Detector Block recipe to use two pieces of lapis (NOT blocks) for the "eyes", instead of 1 block of lapis.
Sorry, but I don't like this one much. I used to be really thrilled when I found lapis, instantly counting how much I had harvested, crafting the lapis blocks to see how much Detectors I would be able to make.
Ok, 18 pieces were a bit too much at first. 9 was better, but wasn't matching the visual of the block.
But only 2 ? That's way too low, compared to how efficient and powerfull a DB is. Maybe you should introduce a secondary "concentrated lapis" to include in the recipe, and maybe even include this somehow in the tech tree ? I know you don't like too much to add items serving only one purpose, but I'm sure you'll come up with something else. I believe alchemy is on its way in 2.0 ;)

-Changed Cauldron to only produce foul food after the normal cooking time has elapsed (it's no longer instantaneous). This was part of the optimization process involved in the rewrite of the Cauldron code detailed below.
Nothing special. Make sense, and allow us to quickly remove it if we placed it in the cauldron by mistake, so it's cool :)

-Changed explosion size when overheating explosive elements in the Cauldron to be proportionate to the quantity involved.
Didn't played with this one, but from what I saw from some pics here, the maximum radius is still smaller than what I would have expected from you ;)

-Changed Steel recipe in Crucible to require Coal Dust and Concentrated Hellfire instead of Nethercoal (this recipe will likely change once again in the future).
I really like how steel is becoming harder and harder to make. Makes perfect sense.

-Changed the Hopper filters to work properly on the newer items that I've added to the mod.
-Changed Hibachi recipe to require a piece of glowstone dust in the middle instead of smooth stone.
-Fixed the bouncing on items when they are resting on a filtered Hopper.
-Removed crafting recipe to convert Concentrated Hellfire into Hellfire dust. This was just a debug recipe I accidentally left in the last version.
-Removed ability to grind stone into panels in the Mill Stone, and moved that functionality to the Anvil. This will likely not be their final resting place in the tech-tree, but it's certainly better than them being in the Mill Stone.
-Removed delay for items being picked up on top of the Cauldron.
-Rewrote a lot of the Cauldron code to better structure it and make it easier to add new recipes. I mention this so that players can keep an eye out for any problems that may arise with this functionality. Please let me know if you spot any issues.
-Integrated Version 1.06 of the Forge, and eliminated a few base-class changes as a result. Note that 1.06 or later is *required* for this release of the mod to function

And that's all small tweaks, but even if they're small tweaks, it's always impressive to see how much you pay attention to every detail
So yeah, long story short, virtual love man :)
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Battosay wrote:Still waiting to see how you handle the new changes to the spawning in 1.8, and the breeding in 1.9 (or will it be in 2.0?) and how it affects the animal bi-products to commentate on this one.

1.10, not 2.0, is after 1.9 :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mason11987 wrote: 1.10, not 2.0, is after 1.9 :)
Not that it matters (it's just a frigging arbitrary number), but with the version numbering scheme that Mojang uses, no, the next "full" version would be 2.0

1.10 is the same as 1.1, since they use the third digit to represent "sub-versions" like 1.11.
Mason11987 wrote: Added ability to cook sand and gunpowder into TnT in the Cauldron (complete with hazards).

the last one, what does "complete with hazards" mean exactly? I've already blown my base sky high by accidentally stoking hellfire dust in a cauldron >_>.
It's the same as for Hellfire. As long as your Cauldron isn't stoked, you should be all good.

I actually had an interesting experience when I was much younger when a friend of mine was cooking up some gunpowder at a cottage we were staying at. He mixed it wet, so he dried it in the oven. There must have been a spark, or it got overheated, or something, as rather scary and comical events resulted when I happened to be standing right next to the oven.

I tend to think of that experience and the resulting euphoria when I realized I hadn't been blown to bits each time I make something blow up in the mod ;)

Now, onto Battosay's point by point...
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Mason11987 wrote:
Battosay wrote:Still waiting to see how you handle the new changes to the spawning in 1.8, and the breeding in 1.9 (or will it be in 2.0?) and how it affects the animal bi-products to commentate on this one.

1.10, not 2.0, is after 1.9 :)
Wtf ?
So ...
then ... 1.10 ?
!= from 1.1 ?
Ok ... doesn' make sense to me ... are you sure ?
Anyway, it's really off-topic here ;)

Edit : Ninja'd. And I knew it ^^
Urian

Post by Urian »

Actually, it is 1.10 after 1.9 according to Notch
Notch's twitter from earlier today wrote:We'll do a 1.9 pre-release today, and a full release after feedback. More Adventure Mode content will come in 1.10, we're splitting it up!
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

I more or less agree with Batto except on one note:
-Changed Detector Block recipe to use two pieces of lapis (NOT blocks) for the "eyes", instead of 1 block of lapis.
Sorry, but I don't like this one much. I used to be really thrilled when I found lapis, instantly counting how much I had harvested, crafting the lapis blocks to see how much Detectors I would be able to make.
Ok, 18 pieces were a bit too much at first. 9 was better, but wasn't matching the visual of the block.
But only 2 ? That's way too low, compared to how efficient and powerfull a DB is. Maybe you should introduce a secondary "concentrated lapis" to include in the recipe, and maybe even include this somehow in the tech tree ? I know you don't like too much to add items serving only one purpose, but I'm sure you'll come up with something else. I believe alchemy is on its way in 2.0 ;)
While I agree that lapis was more exciting to come across before, the recipe change actually allows me to dye blue cloth now instead of hoarding it "in case I need more DBs" and I enjoy the aesthetic aspects of building as well.

That said, I deleted my old worlds because I was looking forward to 1.8 and felt like I wanted a fresh start. In hindsight it was not a good idea. I might have a backup of my 1.7.3 .minecraft folder somewhere but I'm actually enjoying my 1.8/1.9 world still so I think I'll wait for the mod to get updated instead of going back to 1.7.3.
However, do as you please, I don't mind waiting a bit and I'm sure a lot of people would be happy to see some additions for the mod even if they are for 1.7.3. :)

EDIT: Ooops, got the threads mixed up lol.
Urian

Post by Urian »

I haven't played that much BTW since the last update(s) since I'm cutting down on my MC (first I was on a vacation and then I've been playing around with 1.8) but most of the updates are very good.

I love that there are more ways to automate processing resources, I can't say I think I'll ever cook string into wool since I haven't got that much string but it's good to have the option anyhow :p I agree with Battosay that steel armor could require something more considering it's protection but that's a balance issue and something that people will have very varying opinions about depending on play style. As I've posted before I really enjoy the broad arrows and the feel of a loss when you use them compared to the "Let's shoot chickens on the other side of the island"-waste that you can use normal arrows for without blinking an eye or making a dent in your supply from a mob farm. The change to a cheaper detector block is good, it might be a bit cheap now but since it's a block that isn't exactly effective on it's own (unless you like a clicking sound) and instead relies on other functions and blocks to bring out it's full potential I think that a cheaper recipe might lead to new ways of using DBs (for an example, think back to the first automated hemp farms that were built with one BD per plant. Not efficient and hardly plausible in a large scale but it was the crack that broke the dam and let loos the automation flood).

Looking at the tech tree as a whole, it's good even if it's a bit disorienting for those of us who are used to the old recipes :p I think that having it be a tech tree with clearly defined root, trunk and branches (e.g. root being hemp production, branches being various forms for automation connecting to the main blocks in the trunk) so that we've got a clear path to follow in the construction is good - especially for people who are new to the mod since BTW is by now so large that it might be a bit daunting for someone who's never tried it before to know where to start. Some form of achievements might help further though since looking at the forums might not be exactly intuitive for new users.

The adventure update has and likely will implement new features in vMC as well as changes to the game mechanics that might influence how BTW works. From what Notch and Jeb have said, it might be that the time until release will see a more frequent update schedule similar to the olden days of yore (or alpha, if you want). How this will affect the modding community is not something I can speculate about but hopefully it won't cause too many problems.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Ok, let's do it for real then :
Agreed. Let's do this :)
-Added the Anvil.
This one was expected, and is, for future features, a good way to make sure the player will go through the tech tree before being able to craft blocks from the next age. I think that most of the new features you'll add should only be craftable with the Anvil.
Yup, that's exactly my thought on it. Not all upcoming items will be Steel based, and I wanted a built-in crafting bottle neck in the tree.

I'm kinda bummed that it's hogging a block id when it's just a "Crafting Table++", but at the very least, I find it also adds a cool look to crafting areas involving it, and as I mentioned a little while ago, I'm much more confident now that I'll come up with additional uses to justify block id usage with "iffy" blocks down the road now.
-Added Plate Helm, Plate Breastplate, Plate Leggings, and Plate boots as new items.
Same here, expected.
Though I hoped you would come up with something more ... FC-like, than just a good old classic 3x3 crafting.
I believe that, since iron armors are already infinite thanks to the crucible, the Steel armor set, which is way more powerfull than the iron one, would require more things than "just" some steel (recyclable) and some straps.
Well, I have an upcoming change to the way Steel is made that will make the whole process a bit more involved, but other than that, I have nothing specific planned for the Armor. However, I just noticed on the Minecraft Wiki, that 1.9 contains some pretty extensive changes to the way vMC armor works, so I'll need to take a look at that.

If you have any ideas as to additional components, fire away. The way things are right now is pretty much how I've been intending them for quite awhile now.
I wasn't expecting this one though :) Waiting to see how you handle the new bow mechanisms from 1.8 to say more, but so far, so good :)
Yeah, I kinda added this one on a whim after I realized that I actually enjoyed the early-game process of crafting arrows and wanted to bring some of that back into the later game. Plus, I thought it really fit in with the new tier of tools and armor that I recently made available.

The bow itself shouldn't be too hard to integrate with the 1.8+ changes since it just extends range. The arrows are a bit of another story given the 2 hit kills in vMC.
-Added Coal Dust as an item (which can be made from both coal and charcoal)
-Added ability to cook Coal Dust & Hellfire Dust in the Cauldron to create Nethercoal (and removed the old crafting recipe to create Nethercoal). 1 unit of Coal Dust & 4 units of Hellfire Dust are required to create 2 pieces of Nethercoal.
Automation FTW :) Thanks for that ;)
Hehe...told you I was still working on the automation aspect :)

Like I said though, there's still a change coming to the whole steel production thing that will further complicate this process.
-Added alternate recipe for the Gear Box using wood Panels instead of wood blocks.
Several times I tried to use panels to craft GB, and I always forgot it wasn't in yet, and thought "damn, GB are expensive, let cut down some more trees" so cool one :) If you could add a couple of alternate recipe in every release, I'd love you even more ;)
Yeah, that's a given. Basically every time I try to craft something in-game and get the above kinda reaction with "man, I really wish I could build X out of Y", I add a recipe for it.
-Added ability to melt down rails in the Crucible at 16 to 6 rail to iron conversion ratio.
Now I finally have something to do with the dozens of rails I crafted, and never used ^^
Lol! Same here, and I seem less inclined to build rail networks these days, focusing more on automated systems, so I doubt I'll be using them anytime soon.
-Added an option to the config file to disable the mod's minecart tweeks.
Oh ? What made you change your mind on this one ?
Eh. Was an easy change, and didn't think it was worth the hassle of people having to know which file to not copy over to avoid it. Just a moment of benevolence on my part :)

Frankly, I'm also not as in love with those tweaks as I once was, as time has proven that they make the Minecart collisions even more wonky because with less drag, they have a tendency to bounce around more when they come into contact.
-Added ability for Detector block to "see" fully grown wheat occupying the block to the front and below it.
Awesome ! Working like a charm :)
I thought you'd like that one :)

I was taking a look at the lengths people were going to to automate wheat production as of late and finally decided "man, that's just way more hassle than it's worth, and really, the DB should be able to 'see' when wheat reaches a certain height".
-Added ability for items to flow over the top of the Cauldron if they can not be swallowed by it (same thing applies to the Crucible).
So ... only items that have a cauldron/recipe will get in ? Awesome :)
Actually, no, it doesn't act as any kind of filter. It just allows items to pass over top if the Cauldron is already full, which allows you to create rows of Cauldrons with water-flow over top in situations where you're concerned about their inventories filling up.
-Added ability to dye wool in a heated Cauldron at a ratio of 8 wool to 1 dye.
I realy love this one, as silly as it may be :p
Yeah, me too actually. It's a very simple thing but I've recently gotten a bit more into using dyes. You may have noticed that I made several minor tweaks to the way dyes work with this release, and opened up the possibilities for their production.
-Added ability to grind flowers in the mill stone to produce dyes.
-Added ability to cook cactus in the Cauldron to produce green dye.
Damn, I didn't even saw this ones untill now ! I was about to suggest that to you, but you already did it !
Like I said, lots of little tweaks to dyes ;)
-Added ability to cook sand and gunpowder into TnT in the Cauldron (complete with hazards).
Haven't tested this one yet. I'm kinda worried about the result (you twisted bastard ^^)
Lol! Just don't stoke it :)

This is basically the same as the string to wool thing bellow. I got sick of periodically and manually making tnt out of my gunpowder and decided to put an automated way to do it into the mod. My mob trap definitely doesn't produce as much gunpowder as string, but I tend to check it way more often since gunpowder is probably the only thing I really value that comes out of my trap.
-Added ability to cook string into wool. I'm not sure if this makes much sense, but neither does crafting spider silk into wool to begin with and I was sick of having to manually craft string into wool to save on storage space. Insert magical explanation for what happens to giant-spider-silk when you cook it here :)
Oh man, I love this one so much :)
Now my mobtrap filters the string straight into a cauldron ! No more useless strings :)
Any chance to "magically" turn 2 hemp fibers into 1 string the same way ?
Yeah, I love this one too, as "weird" as it is :)

Erg. Not sure if I could really justify the hemp into string thing. I'm still kinda doubting the inclusion of that recipe to begin with as it tends to blur the line between what hemp is, and what spider silk is.

Anyways, let me think about it some more. Not sure if the Cauldron is the right place to automate this, but I can certainly understand the motivation behind wanting to do it. What I'm really hoping is to include some additional uses for surplus Hemp in the near future so that people aren't inspired to do this kind of conversion when they have mass quantities.
-Added ability to render string and wool into glue, but it takes rather massive quantities.
Still waiting to see how you handle the new changes to the spawning in 1.8, and the breeding in 1.9 (or will it be in 2.0?) and how it affects the animal bi-products to commentate on this one.
I'm interested in seeing how I handle that too, as I still have no idea ;)

As I mentioned elsewhere, I think I'm likely to wait to see how breeding functions before making any radical changes to the way the mod operates in this regard.
-Added ability for Planters to sprout flowers if left alone without anything planted in them for a long while.
Cool one :) How longs does it takes (roughly) ? And what are the conditions ?
Just the regular light levels for plant growth (I think light level 8?). As for how long it takes...quite awhile. I don't recall the specifics I went for with this one, and I think when I did it, it was more tweaked based on "feel" more than a specific time. Like Hemp, or any other plant, the time involved is also highly random.

But again, this was another aspect of me making additions to the dying aspect of the game, since it makes automatic flower farms a possibility. With this, you could theoretically setup a whole system to output red and yellow wool (or green using cactus...or brown using dung) without any intervention.

It would be nice mind you, if I had a way to separate the red from the yellow, but I don't have any ideas as to how that could possibly be filtered.
-Changed name of the Refined Axe to the "Battle Axe" and increased the damage it does to mobs. The recipe also requires 2 more steel than previously (for the double head). It is now a combination tool/weapon (although not quite as effective as a Longsword as a weapon).
Now I have a real reason to use my axe on mobs. Even if I always did, without any reason ^^
I REALLY like this one myself, to the point where I no longer carry a sword while playing. It frees up a hot-bar slot for me, which is always a huge deal as I never find I have enough of them. I find it also adds a little more personality to the Steel tools which is an added bonus.
-Changed axes to be effective against cactus.
Never thought that punching a cactus was too slow, but why not :p

Lol! Not a big deal at all, I was just chopping up some cactus at some point and noticed the axe wasn't effective on them when it felt like it should be :)

On a slightly related note, any chance to make the steel pickaxe a bit faster with all of the BTW stone-based blocks ?
Hmmm...let me think about it.
Well, this was actually part of my "dying rampage" as I realized that I had made lapis so valuable for use in making DB's, that no one in their right mind would ever use it as a dye anymore. I've considered the same thing you're talking about above (a new intermediate item), but it still leaves the dye problem.

Maybe I'll do the above AND create an alternative source for blue dye. That probably makes the most sense here.
-Changed explosion size when overheating explosive elements in the Cauldron to be proportionate to the quantity involved.
Didn't played with this one, but from what I saw from some pics here, the maximum radius is still smaller than what I would have expected from you ;)
Lol! Dude, it's already WAY larger than anything else in the game. Like, if I remember right, I think TnT has an internal blast-strength of 4, while the max strength for an exploding Cauldron is 10 :)
-Changed Steel recipe in Crucible to require Coal Dust and Concentrated Hellfire instead of Nethercoal (this recipe will likely change once again in the future).
I really like how steel is becoming harder and harder to make. Makes perfect sense.
Yup, as I said, one more change to go and then I think I'll be satisfied with it :)
And that's all small tweaks, but even if they're small tweaks, it's always impressive to see how much you pay attention to every detail
So yeah, long story short, virtual love man :)
Thanks man! Yeah, nothing major in that release at all really, but I felt like it did open up a lot of automation possibilities and such, so I was very interested in hearing what folks thought of it after playing around with it for awhile :)
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

FlowerChild wrote:
Same here, expected.
Well, I have an upcoming change to the way Steel is made that will make the whole process a bit more involved, but other than that, I have nothing specific planned for the Armor. However, I just noticed on the Minecraft Wiki, that 1.9 contains some pretty extensive changes to the way vMC armor works, so I'll need to take a look at that.

If you have any ideas as to additional components, fire away. The way things are right now is pretty much how I've been intending them for quite awhile now.
Since most damage in the game is from hard knocks (excepting fire, drowning and arrows, etc), it would make sense for higher level armour to require additional padding (perhaps hemp fabric or tanned leather).

Battosay has covered everything, so there isn't much more to say!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

gftweek wrote:Since most damage in the game is from hard knocks (excepting fire, drowning and arrows, etc), it would make sense for higher level armour to require additional padding (perhaps hemp fabric or tanned leather).

Battosay has covered everything, so there isn't much more to say!
Actually, that's not bad at all. I remember now that somebody suggested something similar before, but I had forgotten all about it.

I like the Hemp tie-in too. Will think about this some more, but good suggestion mate.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I'd just like to point out that the chainmail thread has some new extra posts after yours about padding, hemp use, etc for the armor.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1140

Something I didn't really get into in my post there and that bugged me a little in the recent releases: steel swords (by extension axes? Haven't looked up the damage value) feel OP, not in the sense that they are too powerful, but that they are too easy to create. With the steel process becoming more involved, I would love a tweak that makes the longsword slightly different to create, more involved, what have you. I'd say it would make the steel tools even more unique and play into the flavor value of BTW's ethic of having to work hard for the more awesome items :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, I'm aware of that thread and have been following it. I have my own solution in mind now however, and generally don't like to get involved in those kind of drawn-out conversations on individual features.

Not sure what to say about the sword. If there's anything in particular you'd like to see, fire away, but the current method of creation is both more involved (in terms of steel and haft creation) and follows the same basic ideas as the vMC equivalents.

I'm certainly not going to consume a block ID with a whet stone or what have you.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Yeah, I wasn't proposing you reply further, it's just that I noticed it to be an interesting thread, so I just wanted to make sure you were reading it as it extends this thread. Anyway...
FlowerChild wrote:Not sure what to say about the sword. If there's anything in particular you'd like to see, fire away, but the current method of creation is both more involved (in terms of steel and haft creation) and follows the same basic ideas as the vMC equivalents.

I'm certainly not going to consume a block ID with a whet stone or what have you.
I'll have to think about it. It's one of these things that bugged me when I created my first one and it stuck in the back of my head. The reason I suggest a change is exactly because it feels too much like vMC, I'd love it if the sword was separated from the tools, like the armor is more involved too.

And I understand it doesn't warrant a block ID, so I'll have to think if there's anything that's easy to change and makes sense to differentiate the sword a little. I'm content with the resulting sword, so it's not a big deal anyway :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

A grindstone might not require a block ID. It could be something as simple as a stone panel powered by an axle. Or placed on a turntable. How you would get that to interact with a sword would be an interesting challenge in the Chinese sense of the word, tho.
Better is the enemy of Good
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

DaveYanakov wrote:A grindstone might not require a block ID. It could be something as simple as a stone panel powered by an axle. Or placed on a turntable. How you would get that to interact with a sword would be an interesting challenge in the Chinese sense of the word, tho.
Not suggesting this as a proper suggestion (if or when I think of something, I'll create a thread for it if it's that extensive), but a stone slab on turntable, right clicked with the sword to repair it, would be interesting. Not sure if I like it, but it's an interesting mechanic at least.

That said, let's keep the suggestions out of this thread and focus the attention more on what we do/don't like about the recent updates. This might clutter fast otherwise.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

My final suggestion for the sword adjustment:

When a longsword is crafted, it comes into existence with 50% of its full durability. Placing the sword in the craftsquare with a diamond adds 50% to sword durability, diamond is lost. Basically, this allows you to sharpen the steel longsword with a diamond grind stone, with the added rebalance that a fully durable steel sword essentially costs 1 diamond to create.

Reforging the blade is cheaper, but diamond sharpening can be done while adventuring. The full cost of a resharpen is essentially 2 diamonds, cost of a diamond sword.

It certainly adds flavor to the sword, but it might not tickle your fancy.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

to avoid this turning into a suggestion thread, all im going to say is you may be on to some thing there with gaining durability through crafting
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

FlowerChild wrote:Yup, I'm aware of that thread and have been following it. I have my own solution in mind now however, and generally don't like to get involved in those kind of drawn-out conversations on individual features.

Not sure what to say about the sword. If there's anything in particular you'd like to see, fire away, but the current method of creation is both more involved (in terms of steel and haft creation) and follows the same basic ideas as the vMC equivalents.

I'd still love to hear your thoughts on the further discussion, I have this thing about bouncing ideas and poking brains. I find it interesting what people like you, who create these mods and pick at their minds and others for ideas, think of things. Wherever appropriate but absolutly no obligation, though. It would only really be slating my curiosity afterall
SCIENCE!
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

I would like to be able to upgrade my stockpile of standard arrows to broadhead.
FlowerChild wrote:
The bow itself shouldn't be too hard to integrate with the 1.8+ changes since it just extends range. The arrows are a bit of another story given the 2 hit kills in vMC.
How about giving the Broadhead the ability to pierce through multiple enemies?

FlowerChild wrote:
I REALLY like this one myself, to the point where I no longer carry a sword while playing. It frees up a hot-bar slot for me, which is always a huge deal as I never find I have enough of them. I find it also adds a little more personality to the Steel tools which is an added bonus.
I look forward to jumping off a ledge with my battle axe over my head and landing a crit on an unsuspecting zombie.
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Magmarashi wrote: I'd still love to hear your thoughts on the further discussion, I have this thing about bouncing ideas and poking brains. I find it interesting what people like you, who create these mods and pick at their minds and others for ideas, think of things. Wherever appropriate but absolutly no obligation, though. It would only really be slating my curiosity afterall
Nah man, I pick my battles. I've learned that I become increasingly frustrated when dealing with suggestions (given the massive volume I've dealt with in the past), so I try to only step into conversations where I feel I would both enjoy the conversation, and where I feel I can be constructive. Above all, I try to stay detached and not let things get to me or take them personally.

I think I've been doing much better with that the past little while, and it keeps my spirits up. Keep in mind that I worked as a professional game designer for many years, so many of these conversations are pretty low-level in comparison to what I'm used to, and tend to get under my skin as a result.

Most of the time, I just poke my head into various threads, see how they're evolving and create whatever I'm going to create while keeping what people have suggested in mind. I also chime in and state when I'm looking for opinions on something in particular.

It's a much healthier approach for me overall. When I don't say anything, or say very little, it's usually intentional.