Windows 10

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
HappyDyas

Windows 10

Post by HappyDyas »

I logged onto my computer today to find that i am now being forced to "upgrade" to windows 10. It put an automatic scheduler up that i cannot seem to disable, let alone post pone for a significant amount of time....

So my question: is windows 10 good? ive heard some good and not so great things about it. Should i have any cause to worry?

Im currently running windows 8.1 on a desktop as i was able to secure the software, as i built this computer from scratch, for free from my college. Mind you, i dont particularly like windows 8.1..
Rob

Re: Windows 10

Post by Rob »

I've been using it without complaint. Although most people are varying degrees of concerned on Microsoft spying on your computer habits.

I'm indifferent to that situation. But for some, it's a deal breaker.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I've not seen any major reason to upgrade yet. Aside from the Windows Store exclusives (which have a whole host of problems all their own), there's no games that have been announced to require DirectX 12, and from what I can see on Wikipedia there's not that many games that support it as an option right now. The interface is about on par with Windows 8.1, with the only real differences being that they went back to the start menu instead of the start screen and added Cortana. However, there's utilities out there that override the Windows key to open a start menu in 8.1, and from what I've seen Cortana is more a headache than a benefit, triggering when you don't want her to.

If you want to get rid of the pester, you need to uninstall KB3035583 from Windows Update and block it from showing up again by "hiding" it. If it's still around after that, you need to stop it from launching in the Task Scheduler as well.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Rob

Post by Rob »

I turned Cortana off during the initial start up. And have had no issues with it.

I went from win7 to win10, and haven't been jarred too much by the new start menu. But I did unpin all the widgets from the start menu. It felt too cluttered.
ThePowerofTower

Post by ThePowerofTower »

I got it a while back, and frankly, all I remember is that all the things about Windows 8 that bugged me were just gone. My friend says that he's had a bad time with some newer graphics cards (as of like 2 weeks ago) but I haven't seen it.

It stays out of my way, really. No weird popups, I turned off Cortana day one, etc. Intuitive, clean interface.

The weird thing is the 20% increase in violent, no-knock raids in my apartment building ever since.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

My experiences with Windows 10 have all been positive. In particular, upgrading from Windows 7, it has vastly better dual-monitor support (although I understand 8 does, too; I never touched 8).

Another feature I noticed that blew me away, as a subtle but obvious thing: If you make a shortcut, and then move the file that the shortcut points to, Windows 10 will automatically update the shortcut. It's a little thing, but really cool when you are not expecting it.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
AdmiralJonB

Post by AdmiralJonB »

I've had a few issues with Windows 10, mainly involving the start menu search. For me, it's just incredibly slow compared to Windows 8/8.1. I got used to just pressing the start key and searching, with instant results. Now, I have to wait for a few seconds for some reason or another (I have turned off Cortana and web search, yet this still happens). And sometimes, it doesn't even recognise I'm typing!

Other than that, and having to manually install the start menu when I upgraded, I haven't had any other problems. I'm going to have to do a reinstall sooner or later anyway, so that may solve my issues.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

HappyDyas wrote:Im currently running windows 8.1
I found Windows 10 to be much better than windows 8, Although my preference is still windows 7. So far yet I am yet to have a bad experience with Win 10.
Katalliaan wrote:there's no games that have been announced to require DirectX 12
AFAIK A lot of the DX12 optimizations work with DX11 games, so most developers have yet to make DX12 updates.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Ethinolicbob wrote:AFAIK A lot of the DX12 optimizations work with DX11 games, so most developers have yet to make DX12 updates.
Sure, but I was talking about games that explicitly support or require it. DX11 doesn't suddenly stop working because you're on Windows 10.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Katalliaan wrote:Sure, but I was talking about games that explicitly support or require it. DX11 doesn't suddenly stop working because you're on Windows 10
And I was explaining why you wont see many games for a while because a lot of optimizations in DX12 work on a game which was designed for DX11. For example the memory optimization. Playing a game designed for DX11 that would usually use 4GB on your GPU under DX11, would instead use closer to 2GB with DX12 without any need for the game to update