Buying Steam Games Outside of Steam Store

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Daisjun

Buying Steam Games Outside of Steam Store

Post by Daisjun »

Hey guys.

I was just wondering if anyone has had any experience with buying CD Keys/Gifts from sites like G2A? Seems like a good way to save some dollars but I also don't want to get ripped off.

Cheers.
MaxAstro

Re: Buying Steam Games Outside of Steam Store

Post by MaxAstro »

I just bought a bunch of games from Bundle Stars and that worked out fine. Don't really have much experience with it other then that, though.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
OlbaiD

Post by OlbaiD »

I dont trust G2A, last time i bought a game there, they added a monthly debit to my paypal account (which can be removed OFC). Maybe i did something wrong, maybe i didnt....

A friend bought a game in Kinguin, similar to G2A and everything went well.

Besides Steam, i usually buy at Bundle Stars, Humble Bundle, GOG and GMG, and so far i got no problems at all.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Meh, I'm always wary of key resellers. Doesn't help when I see threads like this pop up.
Plus, some Steam games can't be backed up, so if they pull them they are just gone.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

I've been burned with G2A more than I've had success. Always be wary of outside sellers. I'll only buy keys from outside sellers if the price is chump change compared to the steam price, otherwise I'll wait and pray for a real sale.
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
OlbaiD

Post by OlbaiD »

logorouge wrote:Meh, I'm always wary of key resellers. Doesn't help when I see threads like this pop up.
Plus, some Steam games can't be backed up, so if they pull them they are just gone.

"Usually happens when game is bought fraudulently."
(http://www.gog.com/forum/general/gog_pu ... ning/page1)

Edit: Kinguin and G2A ressells user keys so yeah... might be a risk (or not) in those sites.
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

Hmm, I might be a bit wary of G2A and resellers then, did seem a bit fishy. Looks like it mainly happens with big ticket games. I'll probably keep to Steam for the more expensive games.

Wasn't aware that Steam could pull games without your knowledge as well. Looks like I might start keeping a log of all my games to see if any go missing.

Bundlestars seems pretty legit though, picked up about 100 games for around 30US. Looks like a mix of old good games, low budget indie games and some pure garbage, but I think there's easily enough there to justify 30 bucks worth.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

I can say GreenMnGaming is a completely safe place to buy games. They are an official retail partner for steam and the keys they sell are directly provided by steam.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Niyu wrote:I can say GreenMnGaming is a completely safe place to buy games. They are an official retail partner for steam and the keys they sell are directly provided by steam.
Confirming the Green Man Gaming thing. I bought Fallout 4 there at launch for a nice discount, everything went swimmingly.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FaceFoiled

Post by FaceFoiled »

I've used various sites, various times with success. However, I also know of the unfortunate problems that do come up at times (chargebacks on the original purchases, so resales result into void Cdkeys, duplicate keys being sent out by). G2A is a big one especially, as it obtains the licenses it sells from dubious sources. Depending on the game, I do try and buy it from the right company directly though. (as I want to support them directly myself).