Cross-Server Chat Mod

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
andreinawolf

Cross-Server Chat Mod

Post by andreinawolf »

The tl;dr:
==========================

I'd like to port the cross-server chat mod from the original Better Than Solo server mods to a new distribution method that uses Javassist to inject the hooks I need and completely avoid disseminating MC/BTW class files.

Flowerchild, may I continue work on this and eventually release it on the BTW forums?

The Part With Lots of Words:
==========================

When the second Better Than Solo server opened up in 2013 I added a server-side mod to link the chat between the two servers. This way players could stay in touch regardless of which server they were on. There was also a web UI for us mischievous few who wanted to chat while at work :)

My original intent was to allow other BTW servers to join as well and create some kind of general IRC-like experience. Those servers could be personal ones as well, letting people play their own worlds but still participate in chat.

At the time though I didn't have a good way to disseminate the chat mod since my mods as a whole required a lot of base class hooks.

I challenged myself a few months ago to use Javassist to inject the hooks I'd need into the base classes and it worked out well. There is still some work to be done but the showstopper issues are out of the way.

I've been putting this request off because of the copyright notice addendum but I've been playing a huge amount of BTW with my fiancé recently and I'm dying to give something back to the BTW community.

Let me know if you need any additional detail!