Space Engineers Suit Oxygen Addition

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Taleric

Space Engineers Suit Oxygen Addition

Post by Taleric »

So it looks like oxygen has been added as a suit resource for survival. Cool!

I will give it a whirl this weekend to see how survival plays. I suspect once I find a chuck of ice it will just be a juggling act between power and refining O2 till built up.

Still might be fun if short lived I will drop a line after.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Space Engineers Suit Oxygen Addition

Post by FlowerChild »

I'm excited by this too. I'm probably going to hold off on additional survival features before giving the game another try, as I don't think oxygen alone is enough to make the game interesting for me again, but I'm hoping the atmosphere additions over the past couple of releases may indicate they're finally shifting some focus to survival gameplay.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I personally am very much looking forward to designing compartmentalized ships designed to depressurize decks for combat to avoid bleeding air. One more set of tubes to design the architecture around.

It would have been nice if the oxygen processors were bulkier machines designed for constructing stations around rather than something you can squeeze into a spare dozen cubic meters. It would lend an endurance aspect to large ship construction and travel.
Better is the enemy of Good
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

I'm going to wait a few updates for them to expand on the system a little more, but I think this will be what gets me playing SE again (after the infinite worlds update killed my enthusiasm). At one point I wanted to do a playthrough pretending that space had dangerous levels of radiaition or something, and do everything with drone ships and cameras - Using projectors to 'place' blocks outside and whatever.

Never got into it though, because I could just, you know, go outside anyway. If options exist to make suit oxygen supplies rather limited, I'll probably give it another go.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Yeah, the ice is interesting and added some play but I found the optimization crippling! However SE and ME for that matter are written beat the crap out of my PC even on low settings.

Guess I will have to come back when I see a serious optimization pass.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

blog post about serious optimization pass on multiplayer, and other things like planets and scenarios:
http://blog.marekrosa.org/2015/04/guest ... ce_17.html
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Thank you, this is good to see. Even if SE never become more than a semi survival sand box the code rework will be welcome.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Jesus line-dancing Christ we can't catch a break.

"Oxygen farm. produces oxygen from sunlight."
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...yeah, I saw that earlier today and had a chuckle.

-Need electricity to keep alive...decide it's not enough.

-Add another resource to sustain life.

-Have second thoughts due to people whining about it being too hard.

-Decide to generate it through same method as electricity.

-Repeat.

;)
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

http://blog.marekrosa.org/2015/05/space ... ss_40.html

"Today we have a very important announcement for our modders and our community. We decided to give you 100% complete access to Space Engineers’ source code. This comes as a continuation of our decision to give more freedom to modders and community."

Also news about planets.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gunnerman21 wrote: "Today we have a very important announcement for our modders and our community. We decided to give you 100% complete access to Space Engineers’ source code. This comes as a continuation of our decision to give more freedom to modders and community."
Wow. Interested to see what happens with that. Maybe will get a mod that finally turns SE into a game :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

FlowerChild wrote:Wow. Interested to see what happens with that. Maybe will get a mod that finally turns SE into a game :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZHvd0ks7Es

Harsh XD
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote: Harsh XD
Only because there's so much truth to it ;)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

was just coming here to post that announcement :3

I havn't really paid much attention to SE's modding community up till now - most mods seemed to be mo' parts in a game which really needed a mo' gameplay. Might be worth a look now.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: I havn't really paid much attention to SE's modding community up till now - most mods seemed to be mo' parts in a game which really needed a mo' gameplay. Might be worth a look now.
If you can find someone to actually do it. I find the disturbing lack of concern within SE's community over the disturbing lack of gameplay in SE rather...disturbing.

I'd be tempted to do so myself, but I currently need another modding project about as much as I need one of those old school chlamydia tests with the little wire q-tip :)

I'm also uncertain as to how "Better Than Not Having Any Gameplay" would fly as a mod title ;)
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:
Stormweaver wrote: I havn't really paid much attention to SE's modding community up till now - most mods seemed to be mo' parts in a game which really needed a mo' gameplay. Might be worth a look now.
If you can find someone to actually do it. I find the disturbing lack of concern within SE's community over the disturbing lack of gameplay in SE rather...disturbing.

I'd be tempted to do so myself, but I currently need another modding project about as much as I need one of those old school chlamydia tests with the little wire q-tip :)
I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping that the lack of gameplay modding was limited by what modders had access to, rather than limited by drive.

There's a lot of potential for a really good game in there somewhere, even if it's slightly buried behind a clunky UI and physics dying once things start moving above 120m/s.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote:There's a lot of potential for a really good game in there somewhere, even if it's slightly buried behind a clunky UI and physics dying once things start moving above 120m/s.
There is to be sure. There's a lot of cool underlying mechanics and potential there, and there's been various points in its development where I thought I saw a glimmer of brilliance in what I assumed the feature set was hinting at only to have it go nowhere. I get the sinking feeling that the devs don't even realize they have a problem there, and from the feedback (or lack thereof) that they get from the community on that particular issue, I can see why.

But finding a competent modder these days that cares more about creating a coherent gameplay experience instead of being compatible with other mods and creating some giant collaborative cluster-fuck of mixed design vision, and who has enough motivation and game design sense to bring it all together?

Well, there aren't too many of those laying about :)

I have a lot of faith in modding communities to add additional functionality into a game. To fill in the blanks of absent gameplay however? Not so much.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It can happen. The Skyrim community in particular has added a couple hundred hours worth of well fleshed out questlines. Some of them even in entirely new areas.
Better is the enemy of Good
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Still that's content addition. Not adding gameplay to a game that didn't really have any.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Still that's content addition. Not adding gameplay to a game that didn't really have any.
Yeah, exactly. Put another way: lots of modders tend to be great level designers, but you don't find too many game designers.

I think this is particularly true with modern modding. In the past, "total conversions" were more the norm, and game design naturally came along with that. With almost everyone focused on creating small modules that all work together though, there's actually not much room for game design there, beyond what's already present in the base game.

I don't have anything against people creating small compatible modules, I just don't think it tends to lend itself to actual game design, and with a few exceptions, those aren't generally the kind of mods I personally want to play or make.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Knowing that they opened up the source makes me interested in picking up the game again to see how hard it would be to chisel some gameplay out of it. It is after all in my native tongue of C#...

I remember I bought the game and very quickly lost interest because even thought the premise and game engine were cool there seemed to be very little direction and very little pressure to do anything.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Knowing that they opened up the source makes me interested in picking up the game again to see how hard it would be to chisel some gameplay out of it. It is after all in my native tongue of C#...
That would be awesome man. I know I'd certainly play the result :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Wow I forgot how utterly space engineers lacks any kind of coherent gameplay.

No meaningful goals to work towards.

No meaningful dangers or opponents

Resource collection is random and monotonous.

You start with all the highest level equipment.

Survival is wholly trivial.

There's just not really a game in there at all.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I have been amazed that the raw builders have maintained such hype. It is so misleading that they list survival or play of that nature as a feature... I am sure the majority of purchasers wanted a game... :(

While it is great the source is opening I feel like it is throwing in the hat. I bet there will be a solid space survival that will feel very similar to SE in the few years.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Sarudak wrote:Wow I forgot how utterly space engineers lacks any kind of coherent gameplay.

No meaningful goals to work towards.

No meaningful dangers or opponents

Resource collection is random and monotonous.

You start with all the highest level equipment.

Survival is wholly trivial.

There's just not really a game in there at all.
I could not get into this game not matter how hard I tried, building ships was cool until you realized there was nothing else to do. My friend bought it for me and after a few days of playing he wanted me to help build ships with him. I then said "Why, what's the point? you can't really do anything with it except admire it!"

Maybe someday they might turn it into a game, until than I'll just admire my useless ships lol.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.