Unusual/Interesting Morrowind Classes

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
ThePowerofTower

Unusual/Interesting Morrowind Classes

Post by ThePowerofTower »

So I'm going back to TESIII Morrowind, because it's been a while since an RPG made me use public transit. Just wondering if anyone had an idea for a cool class to play. I've got a few ideas myself:

Scholar
Breton
The Atronach
Intelligence, Personality
Major Skills: Alchemy, Enchantment, Mysticism, Mercantile, Conjuration
Minor Skills: Long Blade, Spear, Athletics, Speechcraft, Light Armor

So, typically, my characters are atleast good at one or two martial skills, but this one is intended to rely on things he brews/enchants himself to make up for his relatively low stats. Mysticism for soulbinding, Mercantile to get good deals on ingredients/things in general, and although I can get bound weapons and armor from Conjuration, I really just want it for summoning Daedra. So this sort of thing. Spear for when I inevitably need to raise my Endurance. A little weird, a slightly different playstyle. Any ideas?
Sandrew

Re: Unusual/Interesting Morrowind Classes

Post by Sandrew »

What the hell man, I just reinstalled Morrowind too last friday. Mainly because for some reason I felt like actually role-playing a character again for a change. I just went with a stock class that wasn't focused entirely around direct combat (Nightblade) and so far I'm having an absolute blast dicking around with alteration and illusion spells.

Anyway, the decision to go without an offensive skill for major is definitely an interesting approach. I'm a bit skeptical about the alchemy and mercantile thing, as ingredients for really useful potions (other than restore health, which you're going to need a lot of by the looks of it) are pretty hard to come by. The atronach is going to make things even harder, unless you cheese your way through by casting ghosts to restore your magicka. By the way, do you plan on using any particular mods on your playthrough?

edit; I'm just baffled that so many people still love this game, watched a video on youtube this afternoon about why people should still play Morrowind and the amount of people claiming to have discovered Morrowind after first playing Skyrim, Oblivion or both was astounding. Especially considering the fact that the game mechanics and graphics are starting to get seriously dated.
ThePowerofTower

I'm both happy and sad with my creation. Without doing the super-cheese Alchemy thing (Go to Sadrith Mora, buy ingredients for a 'Increase Alchemy' potion, make, drink, rinse, repeat) I've already made super-cash and bought several levels in various things. I have a full Master set of alchemy stuff, and I have vendors I go to to buy absurd amounts of 2-item potion ingredients (one for Damage Fatigue and the other for Water Walking) that I get for about 2 coins a pop to make potions worth 74 gold (and rising) that I sell to the Scamp merchant in Caldera. I'm level 5, my Alchemy is level 68, my intelligence is 72, and everything else is more or less mediocre.

I've actually had no trouble coming across cheap ingredients for stuff. I might update this post with a short, awesome potion recipe list, but I'm a little too lazy XD I can make cool potions, though, like restore fatigue/fortify fatigue, or restore health/fortify strength. Weak levitation potions, water walking, and if I can deal with Damage Fatigue, I can make water breathing potions with ingredients from the Alchemist in Balmora. For added challenge, I replaced 'Personality' with 'Luck', and now I'm rich, squishy, and I have 18 on my Long Blade/Spear. I haven't even started enchanting yet, I never had the patience for that. I bought about 15 levels in it so far, and eventually I'll just throw a lot of money at it and get a full set of enchanted equipment or whatever. I think I have 54 health at level 5? I might trip, hit a rock, and die. So yeah. This'll be interesting.

Oh, and I'm only using a graphics modpack I got offline like, forever ago. I don't even remember what it's called.
ryoloth

Post by ryoloth »

So, having only played Morrowind for about 3 hours when I was a LOT younger, I decided to pick it up today (its on sale on steam for 40% off by the way, for those interested) and check it out, since I have a couple days off. Any tips you would give to a new player? I have played both oblivion and skyrim, though I hear this one has a world of differences.
"we haven't had a fight since the last one" -Atold 2016
ThePowerofTower

Definitely have atleast 1 weapon and 1 armor in Major Classes XD Also, take note of what attribute a skill applies to. Raising the skill helps you level it's related attribute more quickly.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

ryoloth wrote:Any tips you would give to a new player? I have played both oblivion and skyrim, though I hear this one has a world of differences.
Here's a few things to get started:

-If you want your character to be good at something, you gotta invest in it first.
-To succeed in any task, keep your fatigue bar near full. (0 fatigue = 0 efficiency)
-For reference, a skill of 30 or below is considered terrible in most cases.
-Playing a pure mage is not recommend for starting. (No mana regen is quite brutal)
-If you're on PC, use the Code Patch.
-Have fun and enjoy the cliffracers. (Muahahah!)
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
William the tuba

Post by William the tuba »

I remember playing a lot of Morrowind when I was a kid (mostly using the soultrap-on-target spell glitch), but I've played a lot of Oblivion and Fallout 3/NV in more recent years, so I don't remember the way the RPG mechanics work very well.

However, I do remember an excellent character guide for a thief/enchantment mage, the so called "cheap-ass" class, where you learn how to mug and steal from people, until you become invincible via constant effect enchantments.
(@Will on the discord)
Parents of young, organic life forms are warned that towels can be harmful if swallowed in large quantities.
ThePowerofTower

William the tuba wrote:However, I do remember an excellent character guide for a thief/enchantment mage, the so called "cheap-ass" class, where you learn how to mug and steal from people, until you become invincible via constant effect enchantments.
The fracking Saint's Cloth! Bah!

That does give me the idea for a sort of rogue class. Perhaps one with a stealth focus, but is still good with maintaining his equipment and enchantments, like a normal rogue but with that stuff in his minor abilites. I never feel like I really got into Illusion, even when I tried, so I might make a nightblade-ish character next.

And yes, Sanctuary enchantments FTW.
DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

I just recently spent the past month looking for my hardcopy of morrowind after discovering Morroblivion and been playing around with that the past few days, havent noticed much yet but its been chill so far.