Robocraft

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Gunnerman21

Robocraft

Post by Gunnerman21 »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/301520/

A combination of Minecraft and League of Legends/World of Tanks. Free to play cause that's how new games are rolling these days. Could definitely do with a short tutorial, even a window telling you whats what would do.

Anyone play it? It's very resource light so don't worry about downloads.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
devak

Re: Robocraft

Post by devak »

I played it.

It's fun, it's cool, it's also short and very much unbalanced. It's good to boot up, play a couple of games and make a wacky design, then go do something else. It's a snack game.

They recently overhauled the Tech tree (partially for the better) so now you start with only 1 gun type. However they didn't refund the tech points for everyone, so now you'll be fighting railguns with your bolters.

the main problem is that Railguns are imbalanced. Perfect accuracy, instant hit, high damage. Only reload takes forever so that's when bolters and plasma globs are useful. It's wacky as designing an aircraft is as easy as applying helium tanks to whatever you have. Flying chairs, flying bikes, flying tanks, anything you can imagine.

Free to play, i'll add, is an absolute must here. It's not something i'd buy even at $10.
HappyDyas

Post by HappyDyas »

For a few points you make, i agree. However, on others i cannot say that i do.
Recent updates actually added value to the type of armored block that youre building your bot with. they also decreased that area of effect railguns used to do which means that they only punch holes through (and not takes swaths of) your bot. And by doing this, brought the SMGs and Plasma Cannons to a more level playing field in my opinion.
Not saying its AMAZING as theres more development to be done, but at least worth the look into as you might find it rewarding.
To me, the game is about designing your own battle-bot/object/tank/thing and putting it against the metal of other people who are similar in stature of technology and weapons. But my biggest (most likely personal) issue is that not matter what you make your vehicle look like, no matter how long you spend perfecting an amazing and beautiful design, someone on the other team will take two seconds to build a shitty brick, add guns, a few wheels, and still manage to do about as well as you.
So, in other words, it really takes no skill/engineering to play the game like anyone else. but fun to rip others to shreds (sometimes)
devak

Post by devak »

HappyDyas wrote:For a few points you make, i agree. However, on others i cannot say that i do.
Recent updates actually added value to the type of armored block that youre building your bot with. they also decreased that area of effect railguns used to do which means that they only punch holes through (and not takes swaths of) your bot. And by doing this, brought the SMGs and Plasma Cannons to a more level playing field in my opinion.
Not saying its AMAZING as theres more development to be done, but at least worth the look into as you might find it rewarding.
Oh it's a step in the right direction yes. Especially bombers (aircraft with plasma weapons) are more powerful now. still, the railgun reigns supreme.

You're right in that someone will build a brick and perform the same. Still, i love taking the first few moments of the match and watching people's wacky creations.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

devak wrote:...Especially bombers (aircraft with plasma weapons) are more powerful now...
Currently as a plasma bomber, I'd like to say I win just as many rounds as my other robots. (1 out of 20)

Having a similar style of strategy as LoL, this game is one of many I am absolutely horrible at. Does that stop me from playing? Nope, I always want to learn how to play and get better at this strategy of gaming.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Adenine

Post by Adenine »

I haven't played it in a while, but there are regular (weekly I think?) balance patches. Devak says railguns are overpowered? Last I played a lot of players were saying they were underpowered. Individual players' experiences often colours these perceptions.

I've found that the game gets more interesting once you reach the higher tiers; in the first 3 tiers there are a lot of immature/inexperienced players who just rush toward the enemy guns blazing. When you get to higher tier games, there are more players who think about tactics and defence. Unfortunately the game lacks even a basic communication system to coordinate with your team (yes there's an in game chat, which appears somewhere in the bottom left of your screen without any background; just text over the game).

The combat doesn't have anywhere near the depth that you find in World of Tanks, but it's a good alternative for people who don't like the WWII aesthetic, or who enjoy the building aspect.