Request for removing Endermen's ability to pick up blocks

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
woeuntoyou

Request for removing Endermen's ability to pick up blocks

Post by woeuntoyou »

Endermen's ability to pick up blocks used to have a purpose and was a part of the tech tree, but that was changed in the update 4.8942. Now they are just annoying tall flocks and serve no in-game purpose (as far as I know at least, sorry I haven't been very far down the tech tree) but to irritate players who are a bit perfectionist, like myself. So I am here to request for an add-on that removes the ability of Endermen to pick up blocks.

I know FlowerChild doesn't give permission for add-ons anymore, but I'm assuming since this seems like a very simple change, it doesn't require any file from FlowerChild to work (sorry I don't know how modding works).

Please do tell where I'm wrong (maybe the feature still has a purpose in-game or it wouldn't work without FC's permission). Thanks.
Yhetti

Re: Request for removing Endermen's ability to pick up block

Post by Yhetti »

I think they do have a purpose, which is to replant grass (and possibly even mycelium if you are lucky). If an endermen picks up a grass block you can kill the shit out of him and take the grass block and use it for your own purposes.

You can put said block in a planter which allows you to grow your own flowers (and especially in deco, it lets you renew all various kinds of dye without fertilizer)

Or you can plant an underground cow/sheep farm without worrying about trying to get the grass to grow all the way down there.

I'm sure if you played around with it enough, you could even get them to pick up Mycelium, which would give you a major technical advantage for either nether groth, or making a giant mushroom farm.

Edit: I am not sure if they can pick up Mycelium....

Edit again: It also makes end stone renewable, because they can spawn with it in the end.
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

i think the enderman picking blocks up does server a bit of a purpose, he only picks up specific blocks (dirt and a few others) so it forces you to make buildings/animal enclosures out of more secure materials than dirt. I've lost all my animals before because I made the roof for my animal pens out of dirt and an enderman took one block out letting in zombies T.T

plsu like he said above me it can be an early game way to get a grass block.
Rawr :D
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

I don't really care much about getting grass block early game. I don't mind having to wait for grass to spread underground, which I rarely do since I build almost exclusively above ground.

Looked it up, Endermen can pick up mycelium, which is a cool thing. Maybe the add-on can leave mycelium on the list of blocks Endermen can pick up since that actually serves a purpose (mycelium is rare and most of the time very far away from mainland). Same with Endermen spawning with end stone. With grass, it's mostly just annoying...

I don't build anything out of dirt anyways (like I said, a bit of a perfectionist) so, that wouldn't be a problem for me.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

The behavior of endermen, including what specific blocks then can pick up was a deliberate decision by FC to encourage players to build out of materials that aren't grass/dirt. FC also changed exactly how endermen pick what blocks to pick up (only ones on an edge, to not leave random holes like in vanilla). They're intended to be a slow source of erosion of the world, a sign that you can't build with grass/dirt and be a "perfectionist" because you don't have that much control over the world. It's all part of the theme really, and any add-on would modify the same files that FC modifies for BTW.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

I am a perfectionist too, that's why all my buildings are built in a square 128x128 (or maybe it's bigger, I forgot) castle, sitting on a flat, grass field. Endermen can't pick up any of the building blocks, and they can't pick up the grass inside the castle because it's all totally flat. It's really just something you have to take into consideration as Mason is saying.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it doesn't look like you can make an add-on for this without decompiling BTW, which you aren't going to get from the three or four people who are actually allowed to do that, because it's actually a pretty big part of the game, rather than a pointless behavior.

It's also part of the story, to my understanding, because endermen take the blocks they steal and use them to make end stone, where they house souls or something like that.