Big hole in the world

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
OlbaiD

Big hole in the world

Post by OlbaiD »

(brought this subject to tech support, since it was wrongly placed in bug reports)

Hi.

I opened an old world and found this big hole in the world:
Spoiler
Show

i cannot place any blocks in hole area, also if i jump, i start falling but then i stop in mid air like stuck in something that i cant destroy and i cant move...

there was nothing built in that area

I have the last version of BTW, and this old world might have been started with +- v3.60.

what can i do to see or repair the missing area ?

thanks
Rob

Re: Big hole in the world

Post by Rob »

It seems to be a single chunk. There may have been an error saving the last time you logged out of the game. I'd suggest using a program like MCEdit and deleting that chunk so it will regenerate the next time you log in.
OlbaiD

Post by OlbaiD »

used mcedit (edit: i'm assuming mcedit is mod compatible), worked perfectly :) thank you.

mind if i ask (before topic lock) how i could prevent this from happening again, besides doing backups ? because i would be kinda sad if next time it affect some machinery (this time was on "empty space").
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Unfortunately backups seem to be the only effective way of preventing this. MC has always been rather susceptible to save corruption, and I've only been spared some major losses to my worlds during BTW's development because I tend to back up my saves before I implement each feature in the mod in case I muck something up.
Rob

Post by Rob »

OlbaiD wrote:used mcedit (edit: i'm assuming mcedit is mod compatible), worked perfectly :) thank you.

mind if i ask (before topic lock) how i could prevent this from happening again, besides doing backups ? because i would be kinda sad if next time it affect some machinery (this time was on "empty space").
As far as I've seen, MCEdit is mod friendly. And as FC has said previously. There is no way to prevent a save corruption other than frequent save backups.

Glad MCEdit helped you in this situation though. :D
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

In my experience, MCEdit is almost completely friendly with mods, except that it doesn't correctly calculate light levels where non-vanilla light sources are being used, and it has also been known to make BTW windmills not move until replaced in-game. All mod blocks will appear as blank purplish blocks labeled "Future block" inside MCEdit, but they can be moved around and manipulated without causing problems -- except for the fact that if you rotate a selection of blocks, any mod blocks that have an orientation will still be facing the same way they were before they were rotated, making it pretty much impossible to rotate a mechanical system full of axles and gearboxes and such with MCEdit.

But yeah, for something simple like fixing world errors, there should be nothing to worry about.

And make backups. Backups are good. Losing some of your progress is not as bad as losing all of it.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

darahalian wrote: there should be nothing to worry about.
<queues menacing music>
OlbaiD

Post by OlbaiD »

thank you all for the replies (and for the help) :)

the problem is solved, and im fully enlightened about mcedit compatibility and save corruption/backup.

edit: one more thing that i just remembered to share - since that was an pre-strata world, i do now have a strata chunk in that area XD

Someone can lock this thread now if they wish.