Star Citizen's persistent universe has a new head

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Gormador

Star Citizen's persistent universe has a new head

Post by Gormador »

Being kind of a noob when it comes to early game industry stuff (prior to 2000 ~, which is not that early, I know^^) I had never heard of this guy before but it sounds like he knows his stuff (I realize this is the purpose of the video). I'm particularly interested in the fact that he has a background in economics, which is one of the challenges the game faces for his persistent universe.

So yeah, what are your thoughts about that and how Chris Roberts seems eager to bring trusted people to his team? I imagine that you, Flowerchild, did heard of him?

Anyway, this looks like another step toward the completion of the game within a reasonable time frame ;-)
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Star Citizen's persistent universe has a new head

Post by FlowerChild »

Gormador wrote: I imagine that you, Flowerchild, did heard of him?
Yeah man, certainly. The Crusader games were very cool back in the 90's.

As for development speed though, don't hold your breath. Chris Roberts is extremely talented but is a perfectionist to an extreme level and obviously enjoys doing games on an epic scale beyond what anyone else would consider tackling.

He's made some great games, but I don't think he's ever been known for being on time or on budget. I remember back in the 90's after Wing Commander 4, PC Gamer ran a spoof article (might have been the April issue) about how he was launching probes into space for his next game so that he could have genuine images for the star field in the background :)
abzu93

Re: Star Citizen's persistent universe has a new head

Post by abzu93 »

Tony is was very cool back in the day. I was on QA team for No Remorse and No Regret which seems like aeons ago. I also remember EA being very hard-assed about deadlines, to the point where we would bring pillows to work during crunch (final testing), and usually stayed overnight along with the programming team to finish. Sometimes several overnights in a row.

On the other hand, WC4 had tons of money they were ready to throw at it, because they knew it would sell. So I'm not surprised at all how far over budget it went. Given the amount of money this game is being funded, with no advertising overhead, I'm sure Tony has a little bit of crazy money. I'm not sure if that's necessarily a good thing.
BTW Independence Sig
Spoiler
Show