Hello, again!

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Eriottosan

Hello, again!

Post by Eriottosan »

Hey guys,

It looks as though my time of being unable to use a proper computer is about to come to an end. It's been almost 2 years since my laptop stopped working well, and a year since it's been unusable for anything besides word processing.
But, soon I should have a shiny new PC.

I've been visiting the forums now and then over the past year, keeping on top of changelogs, avoiding spoilerific threads, and occasionally posting. But I'm finally going to be able to play again!
I know we're awaiting the final update, but I have to say, I can't wait to jump into BTW again!

Any other games I should be checking out once I'm finally reunited with the gaming world?

Let the good times commence!
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Hello, again!

Post by Sarudak »

Have you played:
Don't starve?
FTL?
Kerbal Space Program?
Eriottosan

Post by Eriottosan »

Don't Starve and KSP have both been on my radar for once I'm back. Not heard of FTL, though. A quick google gets Faster Than Light game, assuming that's the one you mean?
私は日本語が大好きだ。だから、私と話すとき、日本語で書けば、日本語で書いてください。
I like Japanese, can you tell?
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Eriottosan wrote:Don't Starve and KSP have both been on my radar for once I'm back. Not heard of FTL, though. A quick google gets Faster Than Light game, assuming that's the one you mean?
That's it. And it is an absolutely superb game. If you get it, remember that: easy mode isn't shameful.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I've only ever beaten it on easy mode.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

If you want some tips n tricks for FTL, LethalFrag is streaming his "No Pause Hard Difficulty" wednesday night PST, he's a really nice guy and I'm sure you'll learn a lot if you watch him.
http://www.twitch.tv/lethalfrag

And as for recent games, Space Engineers definitely has potential. It's on steam, it's alpha, but it has a long way to go.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, other games I'm following closely in the alpha state if you don't mind taking a chance on WIP games:

-7 Days To Die. I still maintain this is the most promising of the next-gen voxel games. Initial progress on it was rather slow but they're really churning out the updates now on an almost weekly basis, and recent releases have made for some very interesting changes. I've fallen into the habit of starting a new world with almost every update to give it a try.

-Prison Architect. I personally view this as the most promising Dwarf Fortress style game out there, and I have a lot of respect for Introversion (Uplink ftw) as a developer, so I strongly suspect this is going to turn out great.

-Craft The World: Another very cool DF style game, 2D, but from a side-scroller perspective. The recent updates have been rather "meh" IMO, but the base game is rather solid despite what I view to be a few questionable design choices here and there.

-Pixel Piracy: I find this one very interesting, even if the current iteration has what I view to be rather limited play value due to some game-breaking design issues in the middle game. The core concept is very interesting though, and I'll be watching this one closely.

-Sir, You Are Being Hunted: Interesting stealth survival game that's nearing completion. I've had a lot of fun with this even if it's lacking many of the creative options I tend to prefer in games these days.

-Space Engineers: Was mentioned above, but this one is beginning to get interesting. They've been focusing almost exclusively on creative play up to this point in development, but recent updates have been introducing survival and automation elements that have made me very curious as to its future direction. It's the first of the next gen voxel games that seems to be taking automation seriously, which in itself is very intriguing.

-Kerbal Space Program, and a shameless plug for my other mod: BTSM ;)

Anyways, that about covers all the in-dev games I'm actively following at present. I'm also following Spacebase DF-9 and previously thought it rather promising, but the current slow rate of progress has me shying away from recommending it.

Oh, and in terms of completed games that I don't think are mentioned very often on these forums: I'm a big fan of State Of Decay, have completed the story mode a couple of times, and still return to it here and there for some more free form play with the Breakdown DLC. Now, I'm a bit of a zombie fanatic in general, so that may skew my perception slightly there, but at its core I find it to be a very interesting survival game with a bit of base building gameplay thrown in for good measure.

And welcome back Eriottosan. Good to see you again :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Gunpoint and mark of the ninja if you're into stealth games at all.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Gunpoint and mark of the ninja if you're into stealth games at all.
Eh, I can't say that I was overly enthused by either of them. I've played both (Gunpoint to completion) and while they both contained cool concepts, I didn't find them to have much in the way of extended play value.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Yeah. But I don't see how you could really create a compelling stealth based game without a heavily scripted component and that inherently limits game length and almost destroys replayability. Nonetheless, while they were short I enjoyed them greatly.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Yeah. But I don't see how you could really create a compelling stealth based game without a heavily scripted component and that inherently limits game length and almost destroys replayability. Nonetheless, while they were short I enjoyed them greatly.
Sir, You Are Being Hunted does a pretty good job of it. Not sure why you associate stealth with heavy scripting.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I'll have to give that game a try then. It seems like you need to control the game setting a lot in stealth games to keep the game from being too easy or impossible and you want to give the player the opportunity to use interesting tools.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Just pointing out that Prison Architect is on sale (66%) on steam currently. Snagged it myself ;]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I have been addicted to Risk of Rain, especially with the recent exploration/artifact update. It is a Roguelike with a timer that makes the game progressively more challenging as it counts upward. It is a fun little game with a surprising amount of replay value thanks to the multiple characters with differing playstyles to choose from, a random pool of items to make each game feel fresh, and a sweet soundtrack.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
DemonButter

Post by DemonButter »

Teleglitch! I was going to name most of the games that have been mentioned, only one that came to mind that wasn't among the rest was Teleglitch.
I don't want to call the game fast-paced but it is pretty intense. It has crafting that doesn't feel to be just for fluff which ties into a sort of resource management regarding ammo, explosives, etc. I suppose looking it up might be more effective than my shitty rambling.