Factorio: A game all about automation

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
MoRmEnGiL

Factorio: A game all about automation

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

https://www.factorio.com/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8w6iVfBQBc

Basically it's a top down sprite based game, that is all about harvesting, transporting and processing materials using progressively higher techs that you research. It looks mightily interesting, and currently is in alpha and not all that expensive. I think there are people in this forum that will be interested in this.

The video I linked has a very good (if lengthy) overview of what the game is at this moment.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
myrkana

Re: Factorio: A game all about automation

Post by myrkana »

oo it looks cool but I think I'll wait until its released to try it >..> im kinda burnt out on beta and alpha phase games atm @.@
Rawr :D
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

playing the demo and it's amazing :D resembles a age of empires style of game but only with one person, the player, and everything headed towards automation!
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

In light of the recent alpha/unfinished game fatigue we all seem to be experiencing, I just wanted to mention that this is not the case for this one. It is almost feature complete for release iirc, as the devs stated, and polishing and bughunting is in the immediate future before getting to work on more content.

I also must say I love the simple but effective visuals ;]
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

I got this last year and love the concept.

I am on hold now (like many of my alpha/beta purchases) waiting for the finishing touches (mostly liquids).

It is one where you can make stuff so complex that if you take a few weeks break you will come back and say what the @$!& was I making!

It am hoping the guy gets an FC level inspiration IRT progression. It is pretty linear at the moment and needs some twists and turns to really make it pop.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

If there is even a legit demo I would imagine it counts as something you can play. It's the pretty videos that promise the moon, rack up a bunch of money on Kickstarter and then disappear that I'm having trouble with. This one does look interesting and I would like to see an LP sometime.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:It's the pretty videos that promise the moon, rack up a bunch of money on Kickstarter and then disappear that I'm having trouble with.
Same here, and I'm having particular problems with such (potential) vaporware being "advertised" through these forums as I then feel at least somewhat responsible, and don't want to get into the job of dissing in-dev titles in order to illustrate why I think they're baloney. Hence why I'm thinking about a "can't play it, don't post it" rule.

If people can try something themselves then at least they can make up their own minds about how much potential a game has and how likely it is to be completed, without risking succumbing to the hype machine of overly ambitious devs, or even an intentional scam. Absolutely anyone can pop on the net and start making wild claims about what they're going to do, and that doesn't show "promise" unless you can actually play with something they've made.

This title looks pretty straight out legit though, seems playable enough to evaluate, and doesn't seem to be promising the moon, so I've got absolutely no objection to a thread like this.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

DaveYanakov wrote:This one does look interesting and I would like to see an LP sometime.
Here you go good Sir ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KukUUfLspwo&hd=1
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
devak

Post by devak »

ok just downloaded this and am playing for hours already.

It is a surprisingly simple game that quite nicely "eases" you into higher difficulties. Could play the entire thing without a tutorial (well, the campaign counts as a tutorial of sorts :P).

So yea, very recommendable, a quick download of the Demo's worth it.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

I tried it. It's interesting, but for some reason, I can't get into it. I play for maybe an hour and start to get bored with it, which is always a bad sign.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

On the contrary, I bought it last Thursday and by Saturday I had already played 10h with it. And I'd say that I'm in the middle top of the technology tree.
I really enjoy it and find it quite addictive, mainly because of the research system, which pushes you to wait for a bit until the current research is done. And once it is, the next step that will allow you to further develop your base really doesn't seem that far...

I'd say that it doesn't have a huge replay value at the moment if you only consider the tech tree, as I don't think there is a lot of different path one can take to complete it.
However each base will be different and largely dependent on your surroundings when beginning a new game.

Regarding that, consider choosing a larger density for the alien bases. In 10h, I've only been attacked once. And as I focused early on on an alien-proof defence system, it really has been a non-event.

Also, I just tackled on a logistic system, and damn those robots are cool. And seem to be balanced (the only move one item at a time early on, which is a tiny fraction of the thousand one would have in chests after 10h...), at least early on.

I will play more this weekend, and keep you informed if I find something worth the post.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
devak

Post by devak »

Gormador wrote: I really enjoy it and find it quite addictive, mainly because of the research system, which pushes you to wait for a bit until the current research is done. And once it is, the next step that will allow you to further develop your base really doesn't seem that far...
Yea, research is a huge incentive for automating supply lines.

I had the additional challenge of hauling water over ~300 blocks to my power station (the closes coal deposit) and then hauling power over another 300 to my base.

currently looking into trains because all easy-access iron is pretty much gone.
jakerman999

Post by jakerman999 »

I played through the demo, and picked up the full package almost immediately. This is quite the piece. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
murillokb

Post by murillokb »

jakerman999 wrote:I played through the demo, and picked up the full package almost immediately. This is quite the piece. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.
I came here to post the exact same thing. I was heavily addicted to this game to the point i had to delete it to keep studying. I've put 100+ hours in it, totally worth it.

I recommend it for those who don't mind it being in Alpha.
devak

Post by devak »

sales literally doubled in the past few weeks, it's going places!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Picked this up and have sunk some decent play time into it now.

Damn good game. The UI suffers from a lot of the same problems Space Engineers does (too many buttons to interact with objects in different ways), but the game itself is a ton of fun once you get past that and start really getting into it.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Do it for the science! :D
Once I start getting to ridiculous levels of complexity this song always starts playing in my head http://youtu.be/N9-7uLg-DZU
I would love for the developers to push progression to a point where cascade fail due to stressors was all but inevitable :P
Last edited by Taleric on Mon May 19, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

You guys just convinced me to buy this :P Even though I don't have much time to play... Soon.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:You guys just convinced me to buy this :P Even though I don't have much time to play... Soon.
It has a fairly extensive demo you should really try out first, especially if you have limited time at your disposal.

Playing the demo personally convinced me of an almost immediate purchase mind you, as it became obvious this was a game with a lot of long term play value that I would definitely dig, and which also relates heavily to my own work.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Oh, by the time I posted I had bought it already :) But the videos and all the praise have me sold, really...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Oh, by the time I posted I had bought it already :) But the videos and all the praise have me sold, really...
It's a fair decision considering the price is going up June 1st, and I sincerely doubt you're not going to have a good time with it.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Hum... I must not have seen what you guys saw. The demo did not convince me to buy. Although part of that might have been the hassle since it's not on steam yet.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, the hassle of purchasing almost did my in as well, as I really didn't trust their default payment option. Eventually fiddled it to make a direct payment using PayPal as an intermediary though.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh wow man. Just when I was beginning to feel like I knew what I was doing with this game, I started processing oil and my head just exploded. I feel like a total noob once again.

I had a nice base design going which I likened to a circuit board. Well organized, central "bus" piping various resources down a nice wide corridor of conveyors to distribute them to various modular processing plants which I could easily expand upon as needed. Was quite proud of it.

Now I suddenly have a tangle of pipes pumping fluids all over the place in a highly disorganized fashion as I muddle my way through processing oil into various resources. Too cool :)
devak

Post by devak »

FlowerChild wrote: Now I suddenly have a tangle of pipes pumping fluids all over the place in a highly disorganized fashion as I muddle my way through processing oil into various resources. Too cool :)
Ha ha... noob.
Spoiler
Show
sorry that's a joke.
I've rebuilt every part of my base for like, 5 times at least to untangle the mess and just have it tangle up again. Especially BlueBottles are HARD.