Help with a new computer.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Rob

Help with a new computer.

Post by Rob »

I'm currently in the market for a new computer, though the wife doesn't know it yet. For the last 7 years I've been recycling old parts just updating what I had to. The wear of 7 years has finally killed my dvd drive. Lol. And this particular computer has murdered two video cards. I normally use newegg, but a friend uses ibuypower. Any suggestions on a good parts site? Or should I stick with newegg?

I'm interested in not spending more than $1k but closer to $750 if possible. I have a 1t hdd, case and 700watt ps, so I can save there. I ultimately want to build a rig that will allow me to record YouTube letsplay content. Any ideas or experiences that might help me with this goal?

I've heard of a site that compares online sales for computer parts to find the best deals, but I've had no luck in finding it. Maybe it's only a myth? :-P
Ceunon

Re: Help with a new computer.

Post by Ceunon »

While I can't offer much advice myself (I am actually looking into building a machine from scratch), the guys at Polygon put up fairly recently a PC buying guide. You'd probably find some useful info on it.
William the tuba

Post by William the tuba »

It's been a while since I've completely rebuilt my computer--this year saw only a graphics card upgrade--but when I do, I usually follow the latest TechReport system guide and order everything through newegg. In the meantime though, I discovered PCPartPicker which is the site that I think you were talking about. I haven't used it to actually build a PC, but I've designed a couple builds in it, so I can assure you that the site is functional.

Good luck with your upgrade, hopefully it doesn't end up like this.
(@Will on the discord)
Parents of young, organic life forms are warned that towels can be harmful if swallowed in large quantities.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

I recommend popping on the irc and asking for advice. A lot of very knowledgeable people there.
whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

You're looking for PCPartPicker. You should easily be able to keep it under $750. I'd recommend the lowest priced i5 quad-core Haswell that meets your performance criteria. The reason I choose Intel over AMD currently is due to the increased number of pipeline flushes, the longer length of each flush compared to Intel uarchitectures, and the fact that most games are not written with parallel processing in mind.

Edit: Ninja'd by William the tuba.
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

For parts for a DIY gaming rig, Newegg, NCIX or PCPartPicker are your best bet. If you don't want to do it yourself, then Alienware, NCIX, iBuyPower, and possibly Newegg are good, especially for price-per-performance builds. For higher end machines, which likely you won't go for, but I'll include anyways for those interested, DigitalStorm is a personal favorite, however they are on the "Boutique" end of gaming computers, and their prices match that.

For those interested, here's a list of what would make a decent "Home/gaming" computer (in my opinion, your mileage may vary):
Spoiler
Show
Intel (agreed with whitechaos) core i5 @ 2.5GHz processor
appropriate motherboard (for Intel CPUs, look for LGA___; AMD CPUs look for AM___/FM___)
4-8GB RAM
1TB hard drive
Nvidia GTX 660 or equivalent graphics card (for smooth gaming, also takes some load off CPU) (note that this is not necessary, but assuming you play at least minecraft since you are on these forums its safe to say you'll want a GPU)
400-ish Watt power supply
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
Rob

Post by Rob »

So this is the parts list I'm currently looking at. Any thoughts?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Ykrt
Prof_Ion

Post by Prof_Ion »

Rob wrote:So this is the parts list I'm currently looking at. Any thoughts?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Ykrt
Alright well you need a power supply. Good luck turning it on without one. ;) Something corsair with 80+ bronze/gold/silver is good. The better material the more efficient. Don't cheap out on the Power Supply but you don't need super expensive. Also I suggest a second hard drive something not solid state that is bigger. You really don't need that extra CPU cooler, as a stock cooler will do just fine. You can't overclock that CPU anyway, though if you want quite you are doing it right. I think that's about it. Good Graphics card I had looked into getting one at one point. But for a few dollars more the R7-260X is a better card.
Kaitocain wrote: Snow is not fire, so it can still rain.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Probably should have restated that I was salvaging the 700550watt power supply and 1TB hard drive from my current computer. My bad. I'll look into the video card and probably remove the water cooling unit. Thanks.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I've been informed by Syruse on the IRC, that the Mysterious Case of the Exploding GPUs is more than likely PSU related. So I'll be replacing that bastard with a http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx430 less wattage, but more than enough for the build I've put together.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Rob wrote:I've been informed by Syruse on the IRC, that the Mysterious Case of the Exploding GPUs is more than likely PSU related. So I'll be replacing that bastard with a http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx430 less wattage, but more than enough for the build I've put together.
EDIT:
Good Graphics card I had looked into getting one at one point. But for a few dollars more the R7-260X is a better card.
Thanks for that tip, it's better and cheaper actually. Grabbed for the build. :D

New parts list looks like this.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2YAe1