Animals trying to desperately jump over fences

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Six

Animals trying to desperately jump over fences

Post by Six »

Hey, I've noticed this for a while now but I want to nail down the exact nature of it.

What I'm seeing is animals I have penned in walking up to the fences and bouncing for several seconds as if they are trying
to jump over. The problem only seems to occur when using fences made from molding (i.e. spruce in my case) and I don't see it happening when using vanilla fences made with shafts.

Has anyone else seen this same thing?
VegasGoat

Re: Animals trying to desperately jump over fences

Post by VegasGoat »

Has anyone else seen this same thing?
Yeah, I've been seeing this for a long time. In my case it was jungle wood fences. Exactly the same as you've described where it doesn't happen with the vanilla fence.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I dont think it's only fence made of mouldings as i have seen the same behaviour in vanilla. I think i recall Mojang "fixing" the bug, but it was never fixed (or was it the bug that makes animals walk into blocks and suffocate? cant remember ;)
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

I've seen this many times as well. It has to do with any kind of fence. What I've managed to test is the animals think that can pathfind through (or over) the fence, so they walk up to it and jump repeatedly trying to get over it but they cannot because they perceive the fence block as only 1 high when it is really 1.5. I doubt there is code to make the animals try to escape even though it often seems that way. I believe the animals randomly choose a point in a 10 or so block radius to pathfind to. If that block cannot be walked or jumped to, then it is saved for a minute while the animal attempts to get to it, like in the fence example. But if the pathfinder cannot find a suitable path for the animal, it does not move. The point of pathfinding is still there, the animals just don't move to it because they can't find a path, like animals trapped in a 2 deep hole. But when someone breaks a block creating a suitable path for the animals to jump up and out of the hole, they do so in a very short amount of time, creating the impression they want to escape the farm per se.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.