Better than Wolves videos - Group Multiplayer

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Hi Guys! I finally got my act together and organized my friends together to record us starting fresh playing Better than Wolves. We've been meaning to record this for a long time, and the release of 4.89PHILLIP seemed like a good time to start.

Click here to go to Episode 1 of Better than Wolves with Family and Friends

It's in our old world that's been with us since late beta, I just moved our original spawn to an distant unexplored region so we could all experience the "fun" of early game in Better than Wolves.

Hope you enjoy the series. I'd love to hear what you think of it.

Edit: My appologies for the thread title. Could have sworn there was a longer title when I wrote it up.
Last edited by Battlecat on Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Better than Wolves -

Post by FlowerChild »

Meaningful thread title please.
caveatEmptor

Re: Better than Wolves -

Post by caveatEmptor »

I think this is the largest group I've seen in a let's play- I'll be interested to see how they take to the mod and what kind of stuff you guys build. I was expecting the newbies to have some trouble the first day, but as it turns out, they kind of showed you up huh ;)
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

@caveatEmptor: Yeah, it really did go much better than I feared. I got careless there. :-) It's been quite the challenge so far.

@Flowerchild: Once again, sorry about the error on the thread title. Makes me embarrassed to ask this now, but would it be all right if I posted the video link in the minecraft forum thread?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Better than Wolves videos - Group Multiplayer

Post by FlowerChild »

Battlecat wrote: @Flowerchild: Once again, sorry about the error on the thread title. Makes me embarrassed to ask this now, but would it be all right if I posted the video link in the minecraft forum thread?
Sure man, go for it.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Episode 2 is up! Food is a bit of a challenge with a group this large. :-)

@Flowerchild: Thank you very much!
Last edited by Battlecat on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

I love it! :D It's so tense between you all, suffering under the amount of people trying to get food in the same place. One thing you might want to do is give tools to everyone, then spread out. Making small group bases in all directions, maybe you by yourself because you are experienced and the others in pairs. That would probably help the hunting of food because there's more area to hunt, and also the food would give time to mine iron for tools as well. Hopefully all of you know the basics of surviving by this point, plus you can still communicate and build markers like you said.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Yeah. I had briefed my friends on the basics of the new hunger system a bit before we started, but actually experiencing it is something completely different. :-) Resource management is a huge challenge early on with that many people, especially with animal re-spawning completely disabled.

I think we were starting to get a small food buffer by the end of episode 2, and a few people are going to be ranging out further soon. I'm really glad my friends are such good sports, even at the worst they seemed to be having fun.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

It's so much like yesterday when I played btw with my girlfriend for the first time. She easily panics so a lot of situations scared her, and she also like to watch things (and forget to chop down trees) so our resources were pretty low anyways when we both died.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Calo290

Post by Calo290 »

One small tip I'd like to give you (I can't comment on YouTube videos since Google took over):

Don't spam click on mobs.

Seriously, when a mob is red, you can not harm them and just waste durability on the tool with which you're hitting them. This is the same as vanilla, it's just never noticed due to high durability.

Just hit. One Mississippi. Hit.

Edit: And if ya'll end up really getting into YouTube recording, headsets with mics is best so you don't get that sound bleed-through when someone talks while playing.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying this series. Great to see a large group of people struggling and learning the mod together!
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Actually I think FC fixed that, when a mob is only damaged by the tool the durability is used. And to battlecat, turning music off helps not only hear you better, but you can hear that one creeper or skeleton sneak up behind you ;)
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Calo290

Post by Calo290 »

Gunnerman21 wrote:Actually I think FC fixed that, when a mob is only damaged by the tool the durability is used. And to battlecat, turning music off helps not only hear you better, but you can hear that one creeper or skeleton sneak up behind you ;)
A quick search for "durability" in the changelog turned up nothing for that, but it's possible I missed it, it just seemed their axes were breaking extremely fast and burning hunger while doing that spam clicking.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

I'm pretty positive spam-clicking still breaks your tools.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Gunnerman21 wrote:Actually I think FC fixed that, when a mob is only damaged by the tool the durability is used.
Be careful about spreading information like that unless you're absolutely sure. AFAIK, you're wrong, so this only helps to spread misinformation.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

You know, now that you all have mentioned it, I vaguely recall a conversation about temporary mob invulnerability. It might have even been here on this forum somewhere. I think you are all absolutely right and I just quickly confirmed it hasn't been changed in BTW. Of course it wasn't as noticeable in vanilla due to the higher tool strength. Thanks for the reminder!

Of course, you're all going to be face palming for a bit since there is a bit of a video backlog now. I'll try to break that bad habit in the meantime but it's hard to resist the spam clicking while you're panicking. ;-)

I'll get that music disabled for the next play session as well. Suffice to say it's sad, I quite like the music. Hope you're still enjoying the newbie parade!
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

My bad guys :( There was a conversation about it but I thought FC had done something..
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Episode 3 is now live. We're stable for food, so it's time to look for iron. Enjoy!

@Gunnerman21. No worries, it's an honest mistake. To be honest, I completely forget that that was even a thing. :-)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battlecat wrote: @Gunnerman21. No worries, it's an honest mistake. To be honest, I completely forget that that was even a thing. :-)
Don't make him feel better at it man. He's got a habit of speaking first and thinking later, spreading misinformation in the process.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Wow! You guys are making way more progress than me... but more people really does help :)
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Episode 4 of Better than Wolves with Family and Friends is live now. Just continuing to build up our base and food supply. Enjoy!

Yeah, building up the early tech goes much faster with a group, but there comes a point where more people doesn't help as much. I expect it'll be especially noticeable with bottleneck materials such as blaze rods and diamonds.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

A word of advice on your furnaces, try to keep the correct amount of wood to burn in there so you don't waste any. Just in case you may leave them unattended for a long while. There is a very nice burn ratio that FC set up for wood.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Calo290

Post by Calo290 »

I would just like to point out you do have some options for clothing in your already acquired materials. And I'm not just talking about the leather. ;)\

Edit: Oh, and you do have a use for that rotten flesh, but it's gonna require a bit of iron, some string, and a decent amount of water.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

I've also got a general question for anyone reading this thread. I currently have a bit of a backlog of videos. I've currently scheduled 3 a week, but would you rather see four to clear it out a bit faster? I'm tentatively thinking (Tues, Thur, Sat, Sun) but only if you don't think it'll be too many in one week.

@Gunnerman21: I know there are optimal rations for different woods and logs, but you think I could those details anywhere at all? Hah! Only thing I can remember for sure is that the birch wood has the longest burn time, which is why I reserved that for smelting ores. I'm sure I'm wasting a bit of wood, but in the absence of a chance to experiment, slight inefficiency is going to have to reign supreme.

@Calo290: Yeah, I completely forgot about the wool clothing options. I'm having trouble this week keeping all the subtle changes in BTW straight in my head, which is going to lead to "fun" in then ear future. We had an absolutely marathon recording session this past weekend. Unfortunately, you're gonna get to facepalm at those stacks of wool for a while. And not to worry, I think you'll see that rotten flesh put to use in the near future. :-)

Thanks for the feedback!
Six

Post by Six »

Battlecat wrote:I've also got a general question for anyone reading this thread. I currently have a bit of a backlog of videos. I've currently scheduled 3 a week, but would you rather see four to clear it out a bit faster? I'm tentatively thinking (Tues, Thur, Sat, Sun) but only if you don't think it'll be too many in one week.
4 episodes till you catch up could be a way to get a bit more in sync with time, that way you'll more easily be able to respond to comments.
Battlecat wrote: @Gunnerman21: I know there are optimal rations for different woods and logs, but you think I could those details anywhere at all?
Science! What you need is 4 furnaces, and for each furnace a stack of 10 things which cook the quickest (cactus might work?). Then place 1 of each log into each furnace and see how much each type has cooked.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Episode 5 is live now! Finally got enough iron for a hoe!

@Six: 4 a week it is, sounds sensible. :-) You're also quite right about actually experimenting with wood and that sounds like excellent experimental design. I'll try that out tonight.

I don't feel that spamming my thread is appropriate unless I have someone to reply to, so here is episode 6 as well:

Episode 6, also known as the episode where things happen!