Anarchial Server / No Whitelist / PvE

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
Abysmal

Anarchial Server / No Whitelist / PvE

Post by Abysmal »

Welcome to my anarchy server!

First off the meaning of anarchy:
an·ar·chy
noun: anarchy
*a state of disorder due to absence or nonrecognition of authority.*

Please feel free to join and make progress while it's "easy".

Just have fun, no restrictions is anarchy at its best.
Spoiler
Show
Figured id throw this up here, I don't encourage anarchy style gameplay though.. not in the slightest.

And so heres a general rule of thumb for this server.

If you kill for no reason, you will be labeled a bandit and outlawed. If you kill for revenge or bounty you will be labeled as a Cowboy of differing rank. And if you play as a co-op player would you will be labeled a Citizen. There are perks for each type of gameplay/style you choose & along with the pros, cons. Ill add to this post at a later time when I have it, time that is. This server will not operate under normal rules and circumstances. So if you are looking for a vanilla BTW server just leave or play ssp. This server will likely be heavy with command blocks to support the roleplay effects, and the Wild West feel that I am going for here. But like I said, will update post soon, feel free to join if you fancy, although I consider this a very much alpha run as the server is very much fresh and otherwise vanilla right now.
Snip -Flower

*If ya can't find a server to play on, make one*
Last edited by Abysmal on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Sort of Anarchy, Sort of.. #tobenamed

Post by Sarudak »

Just to be clear this is not anarchy at all. Anarchy means no moderation other than preventing cheating (breaking the rules programmed into the game). This is a heavily moderated server with some PvP allowed.
Abysmal

Post by Abysmal »

Sarudak wrote:Just to be clear this is not anarchy at all. Anarchy means no moderation other than preventing cheating (breaking the rules programmed into the game). This is a heavily moderated server with some PvP allowed.
Well actually it is anarchy. Sorry you got the wrong impression from that placeholder. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Abysmal wrote: Well actually it is anarchy. Sorry you got the wrong impression from that placeholder. :)
I agree with Sarudak. While you may be bending the formal definition of anarchy to suit yourself, the common usage of "anarchy play" in Minecraft is not what you're describing here.

This isn't an anarchy server in terms of what people expect from one.
Abysmal

Re: Anarchial Server / No Whitelist / PvE

Post by Abysmal »

I don't get it then. It is an anarchy server in terms of no rules, freedom to do what ever people want. What I have planed is simply using a scoreboard system to record kills and such. How is it not anarchy?
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Your fundamental misunderstanding is that you seem to think anarchy is synonymous violence and mayhem. Fundamentally anarchy simply means the absence of rulers or governance meaning there is no entity imposing additional laws or rules beyond those inherent in the nature of the system.

By saying something like this:
Figured id throw this up here, I don't encourage anarchy style gameplay though.. not in the slightest.

And so heres a general rule of thumb for this server.

If you kill for no reason, you will be labeled a bandit and outlawed. If you kill for revenge or bounty you will be labeled as a Cowboy of differing rank. And if you play as a co-op player would you will be labeled a Citizen. There are perks for each type of gameplay/style you choose & along with the pros, cons. Ill add to this post at a later time when I have it, time that is. This server will not operate under normal rules and circumstances. So if you are looking for a vanilla BTW server just leave or play ssp. This server will likely be heavy with command blocks to support the roleplay effects, and the Wild West feel that I am going for here. But like I said, will update post soon, feel free to join if you fancy, although I consider this a very much alpha run as the server is very much fresh and otherwise vanilla right now.
Here you are making rules. YOU decide what a valid reason for killing is. Then YOU associate consequences or rewards with certain actions and you enforce these consequences or provide these rewards by means outside the natural laws of the system. This makes you the ruler and therefore it is not anarchy.
Abysmal

Post by Abysmal »

Sarudak wrote:Your fundamental misunderstanding is that you seem to think anarchy is synonymous violence and mayhem. Fundamentally anarchy simply means the absence of rulers or governance meaning there is no entity imposing additional laws or rules beyond those inherent in the nature of the system.
Look I get your point but like I said that message was a general outline, a placeholder. I am in no way enforcing consequences on anyone just simply if they participate. Totally up to the player how they play. Think of it as role playing if it helps you understand. Ill give an example:
Say there is a general playerbase of 5 people. Three people join up to help each other progress through the game. Now say another player joins and kills, destroys things, steals, ect, that person would be labeled a bandit by nothing other than his kill count and reputation with the other players. This is still not imposed upon anyone. And everyone still can play how they wish. I hate that people chime in on something that I haven't even initiated yet, but I assure you that it will maintain the anarchy type.

As for this: "Your fundamental misunderstanding is that you seem to think anarchy is synonymous violence and mayhem."
Not at all my understanding of anarchy. Anarchy is a no rules anything goes server, which this is.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Abysmal wrote:As for this: "Your fundamental misunderstanding is that you seem to think anarchy is synonymous violence and mayhem."
Not at all my understanding of anarchy. Anarchy is a no rules anything goes server, which this is.
Your 'rank' system says otherwise though. Even if the title is purely cosmetic, you're holding an effect to the cause of their behavior. People expect nothing else from anarchy servers except the total freedom to do their thing (within the intended limitations of the game)...which you're labeling them for.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

To clarify: I don't think any of this is intended as a criticism of your server or the rules you're putting in place. All we're really saying is: this isn't anarchy. At least not in terms of the common usage within the MC community.

I think the only suggestion any of us might make with regards to that is that you don't describe it as anarchy to avoid confusion amongst players as to what this server is about.

No big deal really. What is getting a tad annoying though is the tendency to argue semantics over what is at its core a very simple (and likely helpful) observation.
Abysmal

Post by Abysmal »

Dorugami wrote:
Abysmal wrote:As for this: "Your fundamental misunderstanding is that you seem to think anarchy is synonymous violence and mayhem."
Your 'rank' system says otherwise though. Even if the title is purely cosmetic, you're holding an effect to the cause of their behavior. People expect nothing else from anarchy servers except the total freedom to do their thing (within the intended limitations of the game)...which you're labeling them for.
Know what? If players don't like what they read in the OP they can decide to not play on this server. Ill just point out that hundreds of Anarchy servers have run additional content to provide a richer experience.
Such as this one:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/192 ... o-lag-247/

Any comments about my "ranking" system that isn't active yet is not important as I am still developing the system. There is nothing wrong with adding a kill count to players that want it.

EDIT: Also "cleaned" up the OP for now since it is misleading people into thinking that this Anarchy server is not Anarchy. As it was leaving a very unpleasant taste on my thread.
Last edited by Abysmal on Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Abysmal wrote: Know what? If players don't like what they read in the OP they can decide to not play on this server. Ill just point out that hundreds of Anarchy servers have run additional content to provide a richer experience.
Such as this one:
Any comments about my "ranking" system that isn't active yet is not important as I am still developing the system. There is nothing wrong with adding a kill count to players that want it.
Look, when you say this:
Abysmal wrote: If you kill for no reason, you will be labeled a bandit and outlawed. If you kill for revenge or bounty you will be labeled as a Cowboy of differing rank. And if you play as a co-op player would you will be labeled a Citizen. There are perks for each type of gameplay/style you choose & along with the pros, cons.
That is NOT a simple scoreboard system or kill count.

And yes, comments about your ranking system ARE important if players are going to join this server only to have it shift under them later. You specifically mention in the OP this is going to be happening, so it's obviously important to you.

Again: no judgement on that system. We aren't saying it's good or bad. What we are saying is that it isn't anarchy play.
Abysmal

Post by Abysmal »

FlowerChild wrote:
Abysmal wrote: Know what? If players don't like what they read in the OP they can decide to not play on this server. Ill just point out that hundreds of Anarchy servers have run additional content to provide a richer experience.
Such as this one:
Look, when you say this:
Abysmal wrote: If you kill for no reason, you will be labeled a bandit and outlawed. If you kill for revenge or bounty you will be labeled as a Cowboy of differing rank. And if you play as a co-op player would you will be labeled a Citizen. There are perks for each type of gameplay/style you choose & along with the pros, cons.
That is NOT a simple scoreboard system or kill count.

And yes, comments about your ranking system ARE important if players are going to join this server only to have it shift under them later. You specifically mention in the OP this is going to be happening, so it's obviously important to you.

Again: no judgement on that system. We aren't saying it's good or bad. What we are saying is that it isn't anarchy play.
FlowerChild I respect you to no end man, but the perks and cons would simply be on the lines of if you are a bandit who is going to trust you say if you wanted to partner with someone or do a trade through an enderchest, ect. I stand by my words and this is something that is in development. I am sure you can relate to haters chiming in on something that is new to them and they do not understand fully as it has happened many times in BTW's growth with you. This is still Anarchy whether it has the score system or not.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Abysmal wrote:FlowerChild I respect you to no end man, but the perks and cons would simply be on the lines of if you are a bandit who is going to trust you say if you wanted to partner with someone or do a trade through an enderchest, ect. I stand by my words and this is something that is in development. I am sure you can relate to haters chiming in on something that is new to them and they do not understand fully as it has happened many times in BTW's growth with you. This is still Anarchy whether it has the score system or not.
For Pete's sake man, there's no hate whatsoever in anything anyone has said here.

Ok, goodbye. In combination with yesterday's incident in the other server thread, I can see your continued presence here is simply going to be a source of aggravation that I'd rather not have to deal with.