Theories on BTW 4.89113 downloads?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Theories on BTW 4.89113 downloads?

Post by FlowerChild »

So, I've got a bit of a mystery that I've been scratching my head about for the past little while:

People keep trying to download version 4.89113 of BTW (which is inaccessible).

Now, with some versions I can understand this, as people are trying to avoid various hardcore features or what have you and try to download the version previous to them (haha...noobs).

However, with 4.89113, this is the change log for the following version (4.8912):

-Added Hardcore Headwear. This isn't at all related to Hardcore Nothing To Worry About, but you still shouldn't worry about it regardless. Just think of it as a new clothing option with which to further accessorize your Steve! Huzzah!

-Added the ability to use Soul Sand Piles in the nether to help find nether fortresses. It is rather short range, still requiring a fair amount of exploration, but throwing a pile will give you an indication as to whether there is a fortress in the vicinity, and in what general direction.

-Added the ability for witches to spawn in swamps. They will spawn in darkness around and above sea level in swamp biomes and this replaces their witch hut spawns, making swamps slightly more dangerous overall. On generation of witch huts, witches will spawn in their general vicinity once and once only, and these hut witches will not despawn, which means that when you first find a hut, it will almost always have witches nearby, and thus be dangerous. This was done as the spawn conditions on witches were extremely gamey and resulted in rather cheezy traps. Also, many players were never even seeing witches, so this is intended to make them a more integrated and interesting part of the game overall.

-Changed animals to be more responsive to tempting items the player is holding, so that if you switch items or move out of range, there will be less of a delay before they will become interested in them again.

-Fixed vanilla problem with lava not decaying properly. This is largely an import of Mojang's fix for 1.6, but I also changed it around slightly to make the decay a little less uniform as the vanilla version looked a tad weird.

So...trying to avoid Hardcore Headwear? Witch spawns? Somehow I truly doubt those would be major points of contention for people.

Only reasonable theory I have is that that there must be some popular third party site that's linking directly to version 4.89113, although I have no idea what the site might be.

Any theories as to what might be happening here? Not really important, which is why I'm posting it to off topic, but just one of those things that nags at the back of your brain :)
obl1terat1ion

Re: Theories on BTW 4.89113 downloads?

Post by obl1terat1ion »

Some people just hate new trends in headwear i guess? or aliens, its always aliens.
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
Ceunon

Post by Ceunon »

I did a quick search on Google for "better than wolves mod", and there's actually quite a few suspicious/unauthorized "modding" sites providing direct downloads. This one is one of the top results. A shame, really.

Couldn't find anything regarding that specific version, though.

Edit: Take a look at the comment section of that thing. Gods, it is both awful and hilarious.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I also looked up 'Better than Wolves download,' and it is sad to see how many there are and how terrible they are. There was one that said to install forge on 1.7.2 followed by this mod. None that I saw linked to 4.89113, though.

EDIT: It looks like the one I was talking about was the same one linked by Ceunon.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Yeah, I'd guess it's just some third party site with an outdated link that's recently linked the page somewhere prominent without actually checking the links. That or some Spanish minecraft site which actually has that mediafire link on it's BTW page in text.

Though I read somewhere that the new BTW update for minecraft 1.7.2 includes further diversified stratification. FC, when were you going to tell us you updated :( meanie.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Wow...the comments on that download page make me happy that segment of the community is distracted by that page, meaning I don't have to deal with them directly :)
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

This one has a link directly to that file. Nearer to the bottom on the left.
http://www.comodescargarminecraft.net/c ... minecraft/

Edit: not a link but URL.
Re-edit: this one is seems linked
http://rapid-search-engine.com/?s=cache:95379464:ssp_

I hold no liability to those who visit shady sites.
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".
RandomObj3ct

Post by RandomObj3ct »

I find it amazing that people use those sites.

you walk into dodgy or suspicious part of town, you go away.
if something in real life is absolutely covered with adds, it usually warrants suspicion.
if it's full of grammar mistakes and uses old information it brings forth suspicion.

so what is it about computers?
You open one of those sites covered with adds and grammar mistakes shouldn't your alarm bells start ringing?
Why not? Because it would have made sense!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...yup, and considering the thing is publicly available as a free download from a fairly reputable site, and you'll be guaranteed to have the latest version going that route, you've just got to ask:

Why? :)

Not only are these people accessing it through a rather questionable site, they're also RUNNING CODE FROM A SUSPICIOUS SITE.

It's utter madness. There could be absolutely anything in those files, yet off they go without a second thought.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Maybe some people just don't have the finely homed instincts that we do?
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

FlowerChild wrote:Why? :)
I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Flowerchild, My signature is in your face all the time.... do you really need to ask why, the answer has already been said as to why people do what they do :P

The internet needs a gardener!
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Sinornithosaurus

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

FlowerChild wrote:Not only are these people accessing it through a rather questionable site, they're also RUNNING CODE FROM A SUSPICIOUS SITE.

It's utter madness. There could be absolutely anything in those files, yet off they go without a second thought.
Fridge Horror much? That was.. surprisingly scary.
RandomObj3ct

Post by RandomObj3ct »

Sinornithosaurus wrote: Fridge Horror much? That was.. surprisingly scary.

get flowerchild for new anti piracy adds...
Why not? Because it would have made sense!
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

My kid found out getting mods from disreputable sites is a bad idea. He lost a world he had almost 3 years into as well as taking him about 2 weeks of trying to figure out how to get rid of a virus.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

About one and a half year back me and a friend used this website, i quickly found out that the website was bad, not because i got a virus (atleast i dont hope so D:), but because the mods were really old and the instructions were really poor. I regret using it a ton as using it doesn't support the modders :/