Nether mob traps

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
OldMarriedDude

Nether mob traps

Post by OldMarriedDude »

I have gotten to the point that a nether mob trap has become a necessity but before i start it I want to ask a few questions. The design Im considering is an inverted pyramid starting at layer 15. Each level will be 2 blocks high with pistons set up to push mobs down to the next level. At some point I am going to have U shaped spawn areas feeding the sides of the pyramid.

If I construct spawn areas out of nether brick will that allow for all mob types to spawn?

Will Ghasts spawn inside the open areas of the trap?

Im considering putting in spawn pads separated by 1 air block to allow for small magma cubes will vine traps catch fire from blazes? Perhaps it would be better to use 2 air blocks and put saws on the lowest tier of the trap to reduce the size of the magma cubes?
DiamondArms

Re: Nether mob traps

Post by DiamondArms »

I don't have all the answers, but I do know:

1) FC changed nether mob spawns to only work on netherrack and netherbrick.

2) Ghasts can spawn in any 5x5x5 airspace in the nether.

3) Blazes don't recklessly set things on fire, only when they see the player and shoot at him.

I think building another inverse pyramid 2-3blocks above the mobfarm (can be another level) should stop ghast spawns.

I can't seem to find out what the spawning conditions for magma cubes are, but with a 1wide spawning area you should be safe(speculation)
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

Thanks for the input. Ive never spent much time in the nether - the place causes my steve to become a walking dung factory. I wasnt sure about the ghast spawn requirements. I will probably use spawn pads in thee open areas of the trap to keep ghasts out and give me more spawn areas for mobs.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

DiamondArms wrote: 2) Ghasts can spawn in any 5x5x5 airspace in the nether.
Ghasts spawn exactly the same as normal mobs, but need a 5x5x5 space about the block as opposed to a 1x1x2 or 3x3x1 like human-sized and normal spider mobs respectively.

Unless something changed fairly recently.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

Stormweaver wrote:
Ghasts spawn exactly the same as normal mobs, but need a 5x5x5 space about the block as opposed to a 1x1x2 or 3x3x1 like human-sized and normal spider mobs respectively.
Hm. didn't know about the block requirement. I had thought they they could spawn anywhere, hence bloodwood's ability to restrict their spawns.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

DiamondArms wrote:Hm. didn't know about the block requirement. I had thought they they could spawn anywhere, hence bloodwood's ability to restrict their spawns.
It doesn't restrict their spawns, it restricts their movement and vision. Although a well-grown tree probably stops most spawns too :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Dale

Post by Dale »

Gilberreke wrote:
DiamondArms wrote:Hm. didn't know about the block requirement. I had thought they they could spawn anywhere, hence bloodwood's ability to restrict their spawns.
It doesn't restrict their spawns, it restricts their movement and vision. Although a well-grown tree probably stops most spawns too :)
This fact is way too underrated. It bothers me when people go wild with bloodwoods instead of using growth. Oh well.
DaveYanakov "Animals spawn in tall grass because pokemans"...
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Yeah, groth is the best way to make your farms more efficient, it doesn't lag up servers and is way more effective since it works on both pigmen and ghasts.