how much does chainarmor(mail) weight?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
AddyBaha

how much does chainarmor(mail) weight?

Post by AddyBaha »

If you craft mail you get 2 mail per 8 nuggets, so my assumption was one piece of mail weights 4 nuggets.
You are able to swim with an iron helm and iron boots on (9 ingots=90 nuggets) but aren't while wearing chainhelm, -chestplate and -leggings [(5+8+7)*4n=20*4n=80 nuggets].
So mail seems to weight more then it crafting recepie suggestes. Do any of you know how much it actually weights?
Is it supossed to behave like this, to force the player to experiment with the diffrent kinds of armor? Does tanned leather or padding hae weights associated to them?

Reason I ask:
Was running around with chainhelm, -chest, -leggings and leather boots thinkin I can still swim jump in a rier to escape a wolf and get eaten by a squide, because i was supprised to not be able to swim.
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?
ExpHP

Re: how much does chainarmor(mail) weight?

Post by ExpHP »

I don't think you can count individual nuggets. The weight system is based on ingots/diamonds, and chainmail counts as about half an ingot.

Edit: Removed some of the specifics after consideration of recent metagamey topics.
Last edited by ExpHP on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

Well, firstly 9 ingots equals 81 nuggets, not 90. While I do agree that it still doesn't make sense, it's certainly not game breaking.

As for what particular items weigh, it's outside of the scope of what FC likes to see discussed on these forums. The threshold for being able to swim is around 10-11 armour units. It is a bit ambiguous as some some setups of 10 units make you sink whereas some of 11 allow you to float.

What I believe to be the most optimal day to day armour is explained below.
Spoiler
Show
Leather helm and boots, chain chest plate and leggings. This provides only one less armour point than the setup you mentioned, but allows you to swim and is much less resource intensive.

Chain boots as you probably have discovered are no better than leather boots and only provide slightly better durability. Certainly not worth the materials or weight cost.
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

@up When you think about it, many medieval military units who were still agile but had a decent amount of armor were the ones with a chain hauberk, leather boots and either a leather or metal cap (not like a helmet, caps were just over the top of the head but did not provide facial protection). Almost like the knights in Monty Python and the Holy Grail or a mix between the man-at-arms and the vanguard in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. I, for the most part, wear chain chest and legs and leather boots for my day-to-day armor, with a backup set of SF plate for a dungeon, stronghold, or nether fortress raid (and bosses).
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Also, chain helmets provides the same amount of protection as iron helmets but costs much less resources.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I dont know if this is too offtopic, but does diamonds actually weight anything? So does a diamond ingot only weight as much as an iron ingot?
heypaint

Post by heypaint »

Maybe it's not the weight of the armor alone; possibly chain is more restrictive to your movements making it difficult to swim; and plate is even more restrictive; leather and wool are less restrictive plus they weigh less. At least that's how I rationalize it in my mind.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

heypaint wrote:At least that's how I rationalize it in my mind.
This. I just rationalize whatever decisions FC makes for game-play reasons. It's garment, it's not like it's an exact science.

It's well-known that advanced armor encumbered less than lighter, but less advanced garments. In reality, advanced plate armor was really expensive, but made to be moved around in, while full chain armor, like worn by the vikings or crusaders was notoriously heavy.

Or maybe not. Whatever. It's not clear-cut and I just rationalize it that way, so FC can just tweak it for the best game-play.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Daisjun

Post by Daisjun »

Gilberreke wrote:
heypaint wrote:At least that's how I rationalize it in my mind.
This. I just rationalize whatever decisions FC makes for game-play reasons. It's garment, it's not like it's an exact science.
Exactly. Things like this don't need to be over-analysed. The reason for hardcore armour is pretty well stated in the change log.

Normally in vMC you'd slap on the best of whatever armour you had at the time and forget about it. In BTW, HC armour makes wearing armour an active consideration. Simple as that.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I think i have heard FC (or someone) say, when you are wearing over 10 ingots you're unable to swim
Six

Post by Six »

erikdk321 wrote:I think i have heard FC (or someone) say, when you are wearing over 10 ingots you're unable to swim
Changelog for Version 4.62 wrote: -Added Hardcore Armor to the mod. This extends some of the concepts previously just applied to Soulforged Steel armor to other armors in the game. Basically, the way it works is that every ingot (iron, gold, or Soulforged Steel) or diamond used in the crafting of armor, adds to its weight (leather armor has no such penalty). For every unit of weight in armor your character is wearing, you gain fatigue more quickly (thus requiring more food). If you have 10 units of weight or higher on, then you will also sink in water. This does a number of things to the game, primarily related to leather armor. First, it makes leather armor more valuable throughout the game, especially for long journeys, when running low on food, or when traveling over water. Secondly, it promotes mixing and matching of armor sets instead of just wearing uniform sets of whatever happens to be "best" for the stage of the game you're in. Lastly, it further increases the danger of combat, since it makes it less likely overall that the player will be well armored at any given time, unless they've specifically prepared for it. Note that while chain armor provides only slightly less protection than iron armor, it has half as much "weight" (rounded up), thus making it rather valuable if you get your hands on some, increasing the value of villager trades in the early game. The short version of Hardcore Armor is that if you wear a lot of heavy armor, you'll get hungry faster and sink in water ;)
I actually went through a spat of testing in-game a while back to determine all the weights and armor values of different armor, to work out the best combination for being able to swim while having the highest possible armor value. Not a full spoiler on my findings, but I'll just say that:
Spoiler
Show
There are a lot of combinations that give you 5.5 bars, but one combination that give 6.
AddyBaha

Post by AddyBaha »

Six wrote:
Changelog for Version 4.62 wrote: -Added Hardcore Armor...
Thanks that is what I was looking for - didn't show up while searching for "chainarmor" (I have to keep in mind that in english you don't just smash two words together like you do in german)
MagikEh wrote:Placent Placenta Placenta! It's like beetle juice right?