Q: Don't Starve complete?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
logorouge

Q: Don't Starve complete?

Post by logorouge »

For those of you that have played the game recently, what's the state of the game?
Is it a complete game with more incoming content?
Or is it still incomplete with many obvious loose ends?

I finally got my hands on it, but I can still wait if it's not "ready" yet.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Q: Don't Starve complete?

Post by FlowerChild »

As far as I understand it, it's "done". There may be sporadic updates here and there, but full development is at an end.

I wouldn't wait man. I tend to bitch about what I consider to be the unfinished nature of caves (and I suspect they never will be finished...they were just kinda poorly designed from the get go), and probably would have preferred if they were never put in the game, but that is unlikely to affect you as a new player.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Alright. Knowing that, I can start playing without hesitation. Thanks Flowerchild. :)
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
nmarshall23

Post by nmarshall23 »

Hmm, I am not sure that I have ever felt that Don't Starve had obvious loose ends.. Like FC said, Caves design does feel out of place, but I can't think of anything that feels incomplete. Caves are more unpolished then incomplete IMHO. They just feel like an odd branch in the game. They might have fit better if you didn't have access to them till much later?

Anyhow, Don't Starve lives up to it's pitch an unapologetic survival game. You will starve, falling that, freeze, or be hunted down and murdered.. I mean, the load saved games lists how long you character has survived.. It's a challenging game, have fun. I would recommend this game to BTW players without hesitation.

Unless you're all about building contraptions, this isn't a game about that.
Ulfengaard wrote:BTW by FC: Fixing vanilla, one version at a time. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, like I said, I wouldn't want my opinions on caves to turn new players off the game.

I guess it just bugs me on a personal level as I considered DS to be extremely well designed, and caves were the exception to that which gave me a real "wtf?" moment, especially since it's largely how they concluded dev of the game.

But the game itself is still stellar, and people should really give it a try.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

I decided to keep the caves as some sort of end-game content. It will give me one more motivation to survive longer. :)

My attempts at survival so far:

1st time -Died after 5 days. Was too busy doing "science!" and forgot to check my hunger. In a desperate attempt to avoid starvation, I ran to gather food during night and learned that Don't Starve has hardcore darkness. I laughed pretty hard.

2nd time -Died after 10 days. My arrogance got the better of me and I tried to take over a pigmen berrybush spot by force. Did not end well.

Next time -I'll try to settle near those big buffalo thingies so I can get a direct source of crap and build farms. See how that goes.

Overall, great game. I'm having a lot of fun just messing around and discovering what I can do and what I shouldn't do.

Edit: The main character, Wilson, is exactly how I imagined BTW's Steve to be like.