New Release! (BTW V4.89999999)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.89999999)

Post by FlowerChild »

TallTyrionLannister wrote:I haven't seen a lot of comments on this, so I just wanted to tell you that I'm loving the storm changes. my immersion factor has definitely heightened. The storms are more...stormy... they feel more malevolent and atmospheric. And I'm enjoying the added management that goes into windmill operations (I'm not up to BUD block technology yet but just monitoring the weather manually for stormy conditions is a satisfying experience IMO).
Thnaks man. You're right in that I just realized when you said that, that I haven't received much feedback on it yet :)
Nabetsu122

Post by Nabetsu122 »

FlowerChild wrote:Thnaks man. You're right in that I just realized when you said that, that I haven't received much feedback on it yet :)

Let's fix that:

Considering the fact that I tend to die in the nether (stupid ghasts), The changes to the weather gives me a clear indication as to whether or not I should hunt (early game) or manually halt my entire system (early-mid). Living under a mountain near spawn means that the lightning strikes aren't too bad, but for some reason, my laptop is having fun recreating the Blitzkrieg, and I usually find a decent amount of super creepers wandering about afterwards (seems to be on my Linux OS only, and affects vanilla as well; testing on Windows from my laptop and main desktop does not reproduce it).
Tophat

Post by Tophat »

FlowerChild wrote:More 9's are just inherently better!

You know though, I suspect I'm suffering from this gag more than anyone else at present. The number of times I've had to squint and count 9's to verify I'm dealing with the right files is getting a tad out of control :)
I'm already on to you. Watch out guys, he'll pull a fast one on the next update. We won't even see it coming....
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Tophat wrote:I'm already on to you. Watch out guys, he'll pull a fast one on the next update. We won't even see it coming....
How on earth did you figure out my plan to start counting down backwards for maximum confusion?
Crazylemon64

Post by Crazylemon64 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Tophat wrote:I'm already on to you. Watch out guys, he'll pull a fast one on the next update. We won't even see it coming....
How on earth did you figure out my plan to start counting down backwards for maximum confusion?
Dang, I'd anticipated he'd version the next one with 60 nines...
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

You know though, I suspect I'm suffering from this gag more than anyone else at present. The number of times I've had to squint and count 9's to verify I'm dealing with the right files is getting a tad out of control :)
I thought you decided this was going to be in hexidecimal? :)
v4.9A is FAR easier to read!
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

BinoAl wrote:

I thought you decided this was going to be in hexidecimal? :)
v4.9A is FAR easier to read!
But then you don't have enough nines for FC to take over our minds and destroy the world as we fall into chaos.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

dawnraider wrote: But then you don't have enough nines for FC to take over our minds and destroy the world as we fall into chaos.
9's are for squares: 4.8FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF is the cool new version number
CandyCane

Post by CandyCane »

This is one of the best updates ever for me personally. I have detested Minecraft rain since the time it was added even though I do enjoy it in reality.
Now that it doesn't destroy my ears I enjoy the rain once more and I don't go cursing it and go mining out of spite even if I had planned to do something else.

Also less babysitting the windmill in the earlier game is much appreciated.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Now that I'm running a windmill constantly during rain: man, that thing is LOUD during rainfall.

I'm thinking of moving my machinery room due to noise concerns (netherrack grinding, etc).

I love the impact that sounds have in BTW :)

(except for the beast. We trapped one for giggles, but man, those things growl constantly, over a radius of several biomes. We had to put it down :( )
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:Now that I'm running a windmill constantly during rain: man, that thing is LOUD during rainfall.

I'm thinking of moving my machinery room due to noise concerns (netherrack grinding, etc).
Wait...I don't quite get this. The overpower banging sound from the Wind Mill is only supposed to happen if it's connected to a Gear Box that's in danger of breakage. Otherwise, the Wind Mill shouldn't be making any sound.

Can you explain what you mean by the above?
tyr116

Post by tyr116 »

Well, first off AMAZING update again, because rain is rain, and rain is awesome, and second of all, 9's are awesome. I also want to say sorry for being a douche like 3 months ago >.>
Rob

Post by Rob »

I don't know why. But this seems semi relevant to this update, and BTW in general. Good thing about a shitstorm, is no one can see me cry. ;_;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yMyV6RCS1g

-Story to go with the crappy music. :D
I started a new world to take advantage (more like disadvantage! Zing!) of the difficulties added to BTW recently. I started in the middle of a birch/oak forest, but didn't see any wolves. So I figured I was safe to settle down. Deciding to see the fruits of my deforesting efforts, I left the bottom wood block for every tree. Beautiful I thought to myself. With the day half over I quickly went about the business of getting a stone pick to make two axes to get some food and more wood. With the sun setting I dug out more of the large hill I picked at earlier. Cooked my food and started making stairs to the top of the second strata. All stuff I learned from FC and Icy a week or so ago. Then I heard them, wolves and lots of them. I jumped back up to my door and slapped down a half slab just in time to stop the first wolf from getting in. They must have been from the other side of the hill I took residence in. I waited for him to step up to the half block hole and I smacked him with my axe, repeating until dead. Wolf meat is delicious. Every night for the next three nights, I had a wolf visitor. Dispatching him the same way as the others. Finally I had the bright idea to try and trap them until I found bones to tame. So I dug a perch inside my hill, with a trench 4 deep around it. I unblocked the door, and it lunged at me. Crap, I forgot they jump. It landed on my perch and almost killed me. I once again, managed to block the door before another wolf got in. So I widened the trench to 2 wide, and tried again. Success! Crazy wolf in a ditch. This idea might bite me in the butt later. But for now it will do. In the morning, I decided a nice compact dirt path winding through the deforested area in front of my hovel to the river would look great. So I set off on aesthetics, because if I'm going to spend all my time here, it might as well look pretty. About 100 blocks from my house and it started to rain. And man was it great. The sky turned grey, the sound DIDN'T hurt my ears, I was in awe, just looking up at the forest contrasting the sky, not paying attention to my surroundings. When I decided to get back to work on the road, I noticed mobs. Lots of them. As far as the eye could see. That sprint home was probably the most heart pumping moment I've had in BTW to date. Haha.

Thanks again for another epic adventure in Better than Wolves, Flowerchild.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Can you explain what you mean by the above?
Well, as I understood the change logs, it doesn't break during rain, only rainstorm, but it also makes the loud noise during rain, I think. So on regular rainy days, I'm constantly listening to the banging noise.

EDIT: actually, we've got a weird version mismatch on our server that is still not fixed and might cause this. If I understand you right, it's not physically possible for this to be a bug, so it's probably a problem on our end.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
-J-

Post by -J- »

Well, the changes to the frequency of lightning bolts certainly hit me seeing as I dare not leave my shelter during a storm. Definitely a lot more menacing than before. Having a hard time building my little country house with that all going on every other day.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
Chair

Post by Chair »

I started this MOD since the newest release, but after installed it, Minecraft runs so unstably(Sometimes it freezes a few moment ) even though I'm allocating an enough amount of RAM, and/or long time passed after generated.

I remember 1.5.0(This also run very slowly).

Is this bug?
AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

This isn't the place for tech support, and do you have anything else installed? BTW has always been by far the most stable mod for me. You mentioned 1.5.0, if you're using this minecraft version you're on the wrong one as current release is meant for 1.5.2.
Trying to destroy the you with a you is futile.
retep998

Post by retep998 »

Chair wrote:I started this MOD since the newest release, but after installed it, Minecraft runs so unstably(Sometimes it freezes a few moment ) even though I'm allocating an enough amount of RAM, and/or long time passed after generated.

I remember 1.5.0(This also run very slowly).

Is this bug?
As far as I can tell, there are no issues causing terrible performance in BTW. In fact, it usually performs far better than vanilla.
So, if you're somehow running into performance issues with BTW, which do not exist in vanilla, it would be nice if you could actually provide detailed information, such as your computer hardware, some objective numbers comparing BTW and vanilla, and what you're doing when BTW freezes.
Spoiler
Show
If only FC knew that bunny for my avatar was from My Little Pony :P
ewsmith

Post by ewsmith »

Every time someone replies here I count the nines to make sure that it didn't update. :/

As the next update is taking some time, you must be making some new thing that I will gleefully kill poor steve on.
I'm getting excited. That's never good. Props on the making first game to get me to react as such.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I'm actually blowing up a metric shit-ton of Kerbals at present, as detailed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8146

Almost done with that for now though, at which point I'll be refocusing on the next BTW update :)
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

Every once and a while a good spell of kerbal genocide does wonders for the creative process.

And it's wonderful.
gaga654

Post by gaga654 »

Quick question about this update - did it reduce the amount of seeds dropped by pumpkins? In the last version I seem to remember getting 4 seeds from every pumpkin, while this version I am only getting 1 or 2... my sample size is not very large though, so it might just be my bad luck.
EmptyNight

Post by EmptyNight »

gaga654 wrote:Quick question about this update - did it reduce the amount of seeds dropped by pumpkins? In the last version I seem to remember getting 4 seeds from every pumpkin, while this version I am only getting 1 or 2... my sample size is not very large though, so it might just be my bad luck.
I'm playing this version and I got 4 seeds from the 1 pumpkin I've found.
IGN: Strucon
Aesc

Post by Aesc »

gaga654 wrote:Quick question about this update - did it reduce the amount of seeds dropped by pumpkins? In the last version I seem to remember getting 4 seeds from every pumpkin, while this version I am only getting 1 or 2... my sample size is not very large though, so it might just be my bad luck.
I've grown several dozen pumpkins since this update and all of them have given me four seeds each.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Check the change log noob.