Random angry wolves

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gabecraft1234

Random angry wolves

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

I just started up a new world. I spawned in a forest with a small pack of wolves and plenty of sheep and chickens. I went through the normal day one routine and just as day 2 was starting an angry wolf jumped into my base and attacked me. I killed the animal at the expense of half my health and quickly sealed my base of expecting his comrades to swarm in after him. Strangely they did not. Once I emerged I saw another 2 passive wolves in the vicinity. I don't think the wolf attacked b/c of hunger b/c there was plenty of sheep and chickens to eat even after the zombies had their way with them. I definitely did not agro them by hitting them.

What could have caused that one wolf to go crazy but not the others and how can I avoid it in the future?
jorgebonafe

Re: Random angry wolves

Post by jorgebonafe »

It probably just means when that wolf got hungry it was closer to you then the sheep...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Gabecraft1234 wrote:What could have caused that one wolf to go crazy but not the others and how can I avoid it in the future?
By not being the closest edible thing around. (Second closest will do)

Edit: Also, my preferred strategy is to take a proactive approach. This may involve axes, swords, or gentle pushes into boiling magma.
Last edited by ExpHP on Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

you might want to look up the spoiler thread for HC wolves. but basically wolves now get hungry after a specific time so they turn evil when they are hungry and attack basically anything (cows, sheep, steves) i think you can drop a bit of meat on the ground infront of them to get them to eat and they wont go after you any more. but dont quote me on that tho. your best bet is the spoiler thread or the BTW wiki.

Edit: its called better wolves, not HC wolves. my bad.

Edit 2: link viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7547
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

When i create a world i tend to start killing the little fuckers the second i get an axe, mainly because i dont want to get backstapped and I dont want them eating all the animals :)
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

Already been said: you were probably the closest piece of food to that specific wolf.

I'm posting to add that this is why I never leave my base in the early game without having some raw meat on my toolbar (I usually keep one or two from each hunting trip). It's much better to calm and then tame the wolves, because then they are a huge help for hunting in the early game (assuming you know how to prevent them becoming a huge problem).
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

If I'm not in the position/need to tame a few, I usually kill most of them- otherwise you're competing with them as well as the zombies

The rest might be a bit spoilery
Spoiler
Show
Zombies don't seem to like wolf meat- they have standards ya'know, so you might be better killing them on days 3-5; after the friendly foods gone.
They also seem to aggro at night- I've had friendly wolves in the day, then head out the next day with some extra wolf pelts and theres still cattle/chickens wandering about.

Its well worth making pigeon holes with dirt slabs- wolves can't fit through, but you can still poke them.
Note hitting one (in my experience) angers the whole pack; get it right and there's a lot of free meat running at you.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

EtherealWrath wrote:
Spoiler
Show
They also seem to aggro at night- I've had friendly wolves in the day, then head out the next day with some extra wolf pelts and theres still cattle/chickens wandering about.
I think the time for spoilers on Better Wolves has passed, but I'll follow your example. (I mean, I suppose we still haven't figured everything out...)
Spoiler
Show
I've noticed this too. Being around wolves on the first night is absolutely horrible. In fact, I think I remember seeing some spontaneously turn back to normal in the morning.

My current theory is that, in addition to turning hostile due to hunger, they can temporarily turn hostile during a full moon. I mean... ever notice how the first night in Minecraft is always a full moon?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, don't worry about spoilers here guys.
Dreambolt

Post by Dreambolt »

I found a number of very hungry wolves around my covered sheep pit. I one by one punched them and then lured them into a pit lined with vine traps (signs work). I make these early on to act as mob traps, and to lure creepers into in the morning. And it should be mentioned all the wolves I trapped have since been tamed when I had enough chicken and bones.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

ExpHP wrote: I think the time for spoilers on Better Wolves has passed, but I'll follow your example. (I mean, I suppose we still haven't figured everything out...)
Spoiler
Show
I've noticed this too. Being around wolves on the first night is absolutely horrible. In fact, I think I remember seeing some spontaneously turn back to normal in the morning.

My current theory is that, in addition to turning hostile due to hunger, they can temporarily turn hostile during a full moon. I mean... ever notice how the first night in Minecraft is always a full moon?
I think the full moon has its own uniqueness* we haven't figured out yet, but I think just darkness or night time can do it (The attack I mentioned earlier was not on a full moon)
Is there a difference between darkness and night time?

Either way I love how something gets a hell of a lot meaner once the lights go out.

Spoiler
Show
(Regarding full moon- Its not the beast, as I first thought)
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there