Hardcore Nether?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
jstu9

Hardcore Nether?

Post by jstu9 »

Ok, I think I have now died 7-8 times entering the Nether. This was my first time going into the nether with BTW. I'm new to the mod so I'm assuming there is Hardcore Nether though I haven't specifically read anything about it. I've only experienced it now.

I reach the nether and I have now counted 7 ghasts shooting at me. I have my 7-8 extinguished portals all lined right next to each plus two on a ledge above the other 5-6. I think I have run out of cobblestone (well almost) with my attempts of protecting the portals leaving walls of cobblestone, dirt and netherrack scattered about. I just don't have the time (well I actually think its that I don't have the skill ;)

I figure I have 2 options. 1) My last time there I ran towards a wall and made a dirt hut against the wall. I probably can carry some obsidian and make a portal there. That I assume will link to the one at my base and since the one I come out will be extinguished by the ghasts, I'm good to go. 2) Travel >1000 blocks out and build a portal there and hope for the best.

Ok, off to do that (well actually find my way home first... this is the first of the 7-8 prior times I don't know where I am)
Taleric

Re: Hardcore Nether?

Post by Taleric »

That is a crap ton of HC spawns!

Sounds like you are about set now aside from all the extra portals.

On that initial portal it is paramount to quickly build a shelter and gradually expand around the portal.

Roaming the nether even briefly is near impossibly till late game.

Before I pop the first portal I make sure to have 4-5 stacks of cobble just for base camp.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

jesus is the nether that intense now? i havnt reached the nether yet since hardcore hell was implamented a few releases ago. guna really have to gear up for this one.
Epsilon

Post by Epsilon »

hey,
extinguished portals are a vanilla problem I hate, too! It makes things look ugly. Basicly the ghasts are a vanilla problem too, although FC improved them a bit.
But yea... nether spawning is a pain in the ass sometimes!
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

jstu9 wrote:I probably can carry some obsidian and make a portal there. That I assume will link to the one at my base and since the one I come out will be extinguished by the ghasts, I'm good to go.
Definitely this, it should link to the same portal in the overworld. The nether is really dangerous now, even in full enchanted diamond armor you won't survive out in the open (without skill, which I lack). I learned that the hard way, I'm in the middle of another compass run now. That secure entry point is the first thing you need. After that, don't go out in the open AT ALL. Make tunnels to get around. Soul sand piles can be used to find a fortress while tunneling so you don't actually need to go out in the open for that.

The biggest thing I learned about hardcore hell is that you have to be careful and patient. Rushing in will get you killed.
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

I have the exact same issue in my world, well nether.. I guess the plan with loads of cobble is the one to go with.

But a question I do have: is it worth the effort of making arrows to fight the ghasts or are stacks of rotten arrows a way?
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
VegasGoat

Post by VegasGoat »

I wouldn't fight the ghasts, period, but that's because my aim stinks. Rotten arrows will definitely not cut it, though, they don't have the range.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

don't worry too much, that kind of thing happens, but once you get there I HIGHLY recommend creating a bloodwood tree to stop those ghast spawns, once you get one up and relatively large you can place a shit ton of soulsand around the area and burn the original to exponentially grow your safezone. make sure to extinguish the fires around the first portals though, it is crucial that you don't burn your first couple trees though, because those are good line-of-sight barriers as well even though they may be small, in my world i have maybe 40 VERY large bloodwood trees surrounding my portal and although i get a few ghasts, they usually fail to be a serious issue
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

jstu9 wrote:That I assume will link to the one at my base and since the one I come out will be extinguished by the ghasts, I'm good to go.
VegasGoat wrote:Definitely this, it should link to the same portal in the overworld.
Mmm, depends on how far that wall is.

You can hope for the best, but I suggest you prepare for the worst. The radius for overlapping portals is far, far smaller in the Nether than it is in the overworld. You can walk it in less than 5 seconds.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

The radius for overlapping portals is surprisingly large

The server I'm on- my portal dropped into an already existing pair, overworld distance between mine and his was roughly 800 blocks or so.
(works out about a half days walk once slabbed and clear of tall grass)
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

the code for nether portals is so wonky... why not just have all portals make new ones? who cares if the portal you come out of is a dozen blocks away from another person's?...
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You're creating portals to and from hell. I think if anything deserves to be an imprecise science that's prone to error: that's it.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

I still think it's a bit illogical to not always follow the 1 to 8 rule, but yeah youve got a point..
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

EtherealWrath wrote:The radius for overlapping portals is surprisingly large

The server I'm on- my portal dropped into an already existing pair, overworld distance between mine and his was roughly 800 blocks or so.
(works out about a half days walk once slabbed and clear of tall grass)
Yep. Sounds about right for the overworld.

Basically, when the portal searches for its destination, the search radius is the same on either side. Which almost makes sense until you do the math, and realize that it makes the distance for two portals to overlap 64 times smaller when you're building one in the nether.

Though accidentally opening an unprotected portal to the wilderness at night does make things interesting!
jstu9

Post by jstu9 »

I finally found my way home after wandering around for several hours.

I'll probably brave the nether tomorrow though I might try to explore my area a bit more. When I HC Spawn, about 2/3 of the time i spawn somewhere I know.