New Release! (BTW V4.8942)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Crazylemon64

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.8942)

Post by Crazylemon64 »

I'm quite glad now that there's a difference now between being able to sustainably use iron tools and having steel tools. I'm not sure what you can do with the lens pre-anvil besides lighting, but the reduced cost is a nice change. And of course, the diamond change will almost certainly have me running around with diamond tools when I have the chance from now on. As always, a great update.
matty79321
Location: public Location getLocation() { return new Location("Neeeerrrrrrddd"); }

Post by matty79321 »

Anybody else notice that the # jumped from 4.8915 to 4.8942? or am I just crazy and missed like 30 updates?

EDIT: Anyways, who cares. Can't wait to try the new features. :)
Unfortunately, without a total rewrite, vanilla MC will still be a resource whore.
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

Crazylemon64 wrote:<snip>I'm not sure what you can do with the lens pre-anvil besides lighting, but the reduced cost is a nice change.</snip>
I'm kinda wondering about that myself (about Lens use pre-anvil). Is there another way to detect lens obstruction? Maybe I missed an update to detector blocks?

Anyways, thanks again for an awesome update FC! I've missed the entire .89 branch of updates so I'm looking forward to experiencing hats and all the other changes for the first time =) Oh, and it's been a year so here's a 12 pack too.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Mr_Hosed wrote:
Crazylemon64 wrote:<snip>I'm not sure what you can do with the lens pre-anvil besides lighting, but the reduced cost is a nice change.</snip>
I'm kinda wondering about that myself (about Lens use pre-anvil). Is there another way to detect lens obstruction? Maybe I missed an update to detector blocks?
Automated? No. On the other hand, you can use it for signal transmission from over a hundred blocks away - Stick your hardcore saplings down in a line, have a lens shining above them and point it at a pillar/wall you walk past on a regular basis, and treat it as an indicator light telling you your wood is ready.

...may only apply to people who don't use 'far' render distance, but still.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

actually there is, but it requires finding a jungle temple and exploiting the funky aspects of pistons and a monostable circuit
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
TheGatesofLogic

Post by TheGatesofLogic »

Mr_Hosed wrote:

Anyways, thanks again for an awesome update FC! I've missed the entire .89 branch of updates so I'm looking forward to experiencing hats and all the other changes for the first time =) Oh, and it's been a year so here's a 12 pack too.
just spent a few minutes testing a few things and created an obstruted lens detection system pre-anvil. All it requires is some repeaters, redstone dust, redstone torches, and the lens as well as any type of slab. It works incredibly reliably but occasionally misfires. essentially you have to create a north oriented redstone only BUD with a monostable circuit attached and some fancy hoopla to prevent pulsing problems and you can detect a state change in the projection of the lens, thereby detecting whether it is obstructed or not. not sure what you would use it for though...
Two feet standing on a principle
Two hands longing for each others warmth
Cold smoke seeping out of colder throats
Darkness falling, leaves nowhere to go
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Crazylemon64 wrote:I'm not sure what you can do with the lens pre-anvil...
Um...signal transmission? Isn't that the primary function of a lens anyway? That's what I almost always use them for.
thygrrr

Post by thygrrr »

Nice update, and I agree - it pushes some automation elements quite far back. In terms of the "lore", Pistons worked very well with SFS as an ingredient, but realizing how cheap they were in VMC, I miss them as toys and tools alike.

These days, I can't even reach Diamonds and Redstone reliably since Iron Nuggets. So piston based traps or hemp harvesters are pure SciFi for my Steve. Sadly, it feels about right.

Yes, I guess those are my noob tears. Many, many noob tears. ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I already adjusted the piston recipe to move it down in the tech tree for the next release guys (I mentioned this in IRC awhile ago). No need to go on about that one.
topguy

Post by topguy »

Oh man. This update looks difficult. I was always drawn to the end, due to the fact that white stone is my favorite block in BTW Minecraft, but now I am going to go straight for the end to get that SFS and White Stone! :D
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

TheGatesofLogic wrote:essentially you have to create a north oriented redstone only BUD with a monostable circuit attached and some fancy hoopla to prevent pulsing problems and you can detect a state change in the projection of the lens, thereby detecting whether it is obstructed or not.
Sounds waaaaaaay too exploity for me :/
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I use the lens as a portable light source while mining. I set up a torch and lens at the beginning of a branch. I then dig away from the lens. The lens gives me spot light at the location I'm working, without having to place a torch every 7 blocks. I know I've mined far enough when the light goes out. I also know if a monster has spawned behind me. It's a core component of my personal branch mining scheme, and I'm glad I don't have to wait till I have an anvil to implement it now.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

TheAnarchitect wrote:I use the lens as a portable light source while mining. I set up a torch and lens at the beginning of a branch. I then dig away from the lens. The lens gives me spot light at the location I'm working, without having to place a torch every 7 blocks. I know I've mined far enough when the light goes out. I also know if a monster has spawned behind me. It's a core component of my personal branch mining scheme, and I'm glad I don't have to wait till I have an anvil to implement it now.
THAT is clever! Consider it stolen!