Hardware for a new system

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
userzero

Hardware for a new system

Post by userzero »

I'm looking for some opinions on hardware. I was going to get a macbook air and then thought I could build a new rig for less. I use to build systems years ago but I am fairly behind on the current hardware and I really don't know much about the newer nvidia cards. I'm thinking of building a system using this:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9Q-32GXM

2* GIGABYTE GV-N670WF2-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

AMD FX-6350 Vishera 3.9GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6350FRHKBOX

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS

I still have to pick out a power supply and case (although I have two cases I'm not using right now I might salvage one for this). I also have a couple of sata TB drives lying around that I will probably use for now.

I need to be able to run Photoshop, unity, blender, visual studio and Thinkorswim all at the same time. I also use adobe premier.

I run three monitors (but hope to add 2 more) and usually have two set for thinkorswim (trading software, stock charts), one has documents or reference materials open, two will have what ever development software I'm using open and another will have VLC , hulu, netflix, bloomberg tv etc running.

Does it sound like this hardware will do the job? If anyone has a recommendation for an alternative component that represents more bang for the buck that would be awesome or a recommendation on a power-supply as that's the part I usually have the hardest time picking. Thanks for any help.
mneMoose

Re: Hardware for a new system

Post by mneMoose »

I can't attest to if the hardware will do everything you want it to because I don't have experience running all of the programs you stated as I've only ever built computers strictly for gaming. I can suggest a power supply that will work for the hardware you've listed.

For your power supply, with an SLI setup on your video cards you'll want at least the minimum power of one video card plus half. So, you'll want at the minimum 775 watts there, and another 125 watts for your CPU. So a 900 watt minimum for the power supply. I'd suggest 1000 watts to be on the safe side.

Normally I'd recommend using one higher quality video card because the new nvidia cards are quite good by themselves, but there aren't many cards that have more than 4 outputs, making your SLI cards a good fit.

With your rig being made to run so many programs at once, you might also want to consider a simple liquid cooling system. I got one of these for my computer and they're quiet, easy to install, and keep your cpu very cool.

Here's a link to all of your parts and the ones I'd suggest for a power supply and a cooler.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1wH9u

I hope this helps. Good luck.
userzero

Post by userzero »

Thanks. I think I'll just go with the one video card instead of 2. I don't need more than 4 outputs. That's a nice site you linked.
mneMoose

Post by mneMoose »

That site's pretty awesome for putting a list of what you need for a computer together, and it'll tell you if there are any conflicts at the bottom.

If you are going to use only one video card and are still going to spend $600 plus, I'd recommend going for a 780.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130916

If you'd like to save some money, the 770s are as good as the 680s.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... _-14162135

Good luck again.
mc_dunedin

Post by mc_dunedin »

Since you seem to be on a spending tree already I'd suggest you get a SSD with at least 250MB to install your OS and most commonly used software on. It gives a really nice boost to your overall system performance.
Heilkaiba

Post by Heilkaiba »

mc_dunedin wrote:... get a SSD with at least 250MB ...
At least :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just a guess, but I suspect he meant gigs there ;)
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

I am currently researching components for a new build as well. Thanks mneMoose for that link it is great to see all those options in a nice graph and easy to compare.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

To be totally honest if you need multiple programs open at once, and you looks like you're planning on programming too. Build a second system instead of a massively powerful single PC.

You can network a single HDD/SSD for a both PC's Make one that serves your gaming needs, but can also be used for programming. The other will do all your hefty visual stuff, stuff that needs more processing power than graphics crunching. That allows you to compile large things or doing large render jobs, without effecting your main system. Plus you don't want to work on a machine that's actually doing something really important!

You might have to spend more, but you'll appreciate that you can do twice the work without worrying about RAM and CPU problems.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
userzero

Post by userzero »

I really don't think in my situation two systems vs one is a great idea. It adds a bunch of unnecessary complications only to avoid tying up the system during infrequent large processing jobs. I would much rather have all my tools setup on one pc. Besides I need the breaks to make coffee : )
weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

Might I suggest a amd gpu. They can support display port daisy chaining and run 6 monitors off 1 gpu. Then you wouldn't have to get a second card when you get the 2 more monitors
MoRmEnGiL: In the grand scheme of things, if you hate pickles in your burger, you can always remove them and go on.
userzero

Post by userzero »

Just wanted to jump in here and thank everyone for the advice. I did look at the AMD gpus and they were something to think about. In the end I decided to buy a Macbook Air. We're adding Bluetooth speakers throughout the house and I will be able to take it wherever I feel like working for the day and listen to music and relax. We have a couple of 60 inch TVs on walls around the house and I'm adding hardware that will let me use those as additional monitors with out any wires (I'll use apple TV if it gets that in the next update, as there's a few rumors it will, otherwise there's a few other options to look at). So I will be able to throw charts or whatever I need up on the TV and focus on whatever I need to on the laptop screen.

In the end it was partially wanting to be free from my desk and a choice for aesthetics/experience or wanting to enjoy what I was working with. As much as I love having three big monitors I've always hated how much space they take up, I'm really a minimalist at heart. Also the software I use for writing (Scrivener) has a nicer version on MAC than windows. I also like the idea of being able to sit down in the kitchen throw spotify unto the speakers in that room and brew some coffee and then move back to the office or out to the backyard to get some work done. With the Macbook and an Ipad I can take my work with me and it makes the day a lot less hectic. I moved the desktop to another room and will still use it when I need some raw processing power or for large compiles/renders.

The biggest thing it came down to though was how I want to spend my days. I went to work for myself because I didn't want to be tied to a desk and this year, even though I've been making more money than ever before, I've been tied down for 14 to 18 hours a day and not as happy. So the lighter minimal laptop represents a breaking of those chains.

That's really a lot of info for a discussion that was about hardware but when you spend as much time as I do tied to a computer it really has a huge impact on your life so changing systems is a big deal.