X-Rebirth, You can walk where?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
kregoth

X-Rebirth, You can walk where?

Post by kregoth »

Wait I can walk where?

Ok NOW I want this game. Been following this game sense it was announced, I even have a space weed station background! Yes I was a master space weed trader in X3. For it's horrid interface, I still enjoyed the game.

I know it's been mentioned before, but once I saw these videos.... I had to brag about it :)

I am looking forward to being the biggest bad ass Space Weed trader again.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: X-Rebirth, You can walk where?

Post by FlowerChild »

Wow man. I will admit that was rather impressive :)

But yes, I really hope they focus a little more on polish this time around. I think I tried X3 for the first time a few months ago and instantly crashed to desktop the first time I went through a wormhole. In combination with the clunky interface, I was completely turned off of it and haven't booted it up again since.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

I have always had trouble with the game, but after I was actually able to delve into it, I enjoyed it. Though it was far more enjoyable after the mods I added, which most made it into the game as an update.

If you watch the controls video they have posted, it shows a bit more off of the UI, which is way better than anything they ever made before. I do still have my fingers crossed, but walking outside your space ship? They kept that secret for a while. Very impressed with what I see.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

It's fricking interstellar Dwarf Fortress!
Better is the enemy of Good
abzu93

Post by abzu93 »

I've been waiting for this game for a few years, mostly because I've always been a huge fan of this genre. Games like Elite, Starflight, Privateer I&II, Freelancer, and lately the X -universe series. This is right up my alley! The only thing that would make it better is multiplayer - but I think they've already confirmed they weren't going that route.
BTW Independence Sig
Spoiler
Show
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I loved X3.

This looks cool yes but I have concerns. My biggest concerns is that regardless of what they say it seems like they've been focusing mostly on graphical improvements. I mean sure walking around corridors and what not is cool for a bit but what value does it add to the core gameplay. A little extra immersion is good and can add a lot to the game but I would much prefer improvements to the core value offer.

To me the core value offer of X3 was a dynamic universe. I think they even mentioned that in the video. For all of that once I had played around in X3 for a while I really came to feel that that dynamic universe was really not that dynamic. I didn't feel like I could say raid freighters or destroy production centers to drive up the prices of certain goods. I couldn't raid the factories of an empire and feel like it crippled their war effort. Military ships seemed to wander around at random. Even though certain groups were theoretically at war with each other there never seemed to be any actual war effort. Some mods made valiant efforts to redress those issue but for it to be really great I feel like that kind of dynamic universe should have been in the core game.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I wanna play this with the Oculus Rift.... *Drools*
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

I will be getting this, seems like one of my major grips with x3 has been solved

I hope they have fixed the In sector and Out of Sector combat bugs

I am betting it will bring my computer down to its knees again :)
Sarudak wrote: -snip-
I didn't feel like I could say raid freighters or destroy production centers to drive up the prices of certain goods. I couldn't raid the factories of an empire and feel like it crippled their war effort. Military ships seemed to wander around at random. Even though certain groups were theoretically at war with each other there never seemed to be any actual war effort.
Which X3 game? Base, TC or AP ?, It is possible I mean for fun I crippled the entire X universe, Made sure that I was the only one capable of producing energy( a base resource for those who are unaware) and I regularly in x games effectively wipe out the Teladi and Split
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
My WIP Fan Mission for SS2(youtube)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Sarudak wrote:To me the core value offer of X3 was a dynamic universe. I think they even mentioned that in the video. For all of that once I had played around in X3 for a while I really came to feel that that dynamic universe was really not that dynamic. I didn't feel like I could say raid freighters or destroy production centers to drive up the prices of certain goods. I couldn't raid the factories of an empire and feel like it crippled their war effort. Military ships seemed to wander around at random. Even though certain groups were theoretically at war with each other there never seemed to be any actual war effort. Some mods made valiant efforts to redress those issue but for it to be really great I feel like that kind of dynamic universe should have been in the core game.
That is pretty much exactly what was addressed in that video, man. They specifically used the example of raiding freighters or factories to cripple shipments of specific goods.
Better is the enemy of Good
WeedFather

Post by WeedFather »

Damn, where was this game and KSP back when I was REALLY into space sims and shooters?! I want this game in me computer. So much depth and detail! It's more interesting than EVE online, in my opinion.
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

WeedFather wrote:Damn, where was this game and KSP back when I was REALLY into space sims and shooters?! I want this game in me computer. So much depth and detail! It's more interesting than EVE online, in my opinion.
It's easy to find a space game more interesting than EVE, because EVE actually isn't primarily a space game. I played EVE for a month, and I quickly discovered that the worst thing you can do in EVE is think that it's just a space game. It's actually an economy simulator/pvp machine. The only space aspect (exploration) was never as interesting because of the nature of the controls.

All my opinion by the way. I'm of the mind that if you want an economy simulator, which is rewarding in so many ways when you have the time/resources for it, one that happens IN SPACE is always preferable. Sometimes, though, I want to walk around in stations, something X-Rebirth seems to have down already.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

Jesar wrote:I'm of the mind that if you want an economy simulator, which is rewarding in so many ways when you have the time/resources for it, one that happens IN SPACE is always preferable.
That's only because you aren't considering the idea of controlling a world-spanning sea trade empire during the age of sail, my friend.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

TheAnarchitect wrote:
Jesar wrote:I'm of the mind that if you want an economy simulator, which is rewarding in so many ways when you have the time/resources for it, one that happens IN SPACE is always preferable.
That's only because you aren't considering the idea of controlling a world-spanning sea trade empire during the age of sail, my friend.
Sorry, but you guys are both wrong. The best economy simulator is actually this game, the Lemonade Stand Simulator.

http://www.coolmath-games.com/lemonade/
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

Update for anyone interested you can now preorder the game at the egosoft online store

http://www.egosoft.com/shop/
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
My WIP Fan Mission for SS2(youtube)