Astrolabe v-1 Sudden Death

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
jorgebonafe

Astrolabe v-1 Sudden Death

Post by jorgebonafe »

THIS ADDON HAS BEEN MERGED WITH JORGE'S MISCELANEOUS. PLEASE DIRECT ALL ASTROLABE RELATED CONVERSATIONS TO THAT THREAD

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=9361
Last edited by jorgebonafe on Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 33 times in total.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
Mason11987

Re: Astrolabe Addon 1.0 - for BTW v4.89112

Post by Mason11987 »

Well this is really interested. I've never really seen anything in minecraft like this. I'm excited to actually try it out. Very cool jorge.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Jesar

Post by Jesar »

Holy crap yes. This is exactly something I'd love to try out. I can't wait to get to anvil tech, and I'll definitely be installing this add on in the near future. I look forward to stumbling around at night cursing the very heavens themselves trying to figure out how to work this thing. :D
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

This looks kinda cool. It has a very BTW feel to it. Also, just curious, what IDs do you use?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Yhetti wrote:This looks kinda cool. It has a very BTW feel to it. Also, just curious, what IDs do you use?
I just picked some unused IDs randomly (just two block ids) 170 and 171. But if you need to you can change them with the config file.
Jesar wrote:Holy crap yes. This is exactly something I'd love to try out. I can't wait to get to anvil tech, and I'll definitely be installing this add on in the near future. I look forward to stumbling around at night cursing the very heavens themselves trying to figure out how to work this thing. :D
Cool! If you do, put it in your LP, I'd kill to see a video of that :)
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

Is this for single player only or does it work on servers?
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

the_fodder wrote:Is this for single player only or does it work on servers?
Single player for now. But it should work on lan.

I'm gonna finish the nether version before I work on servers. Honestly I never did anything like this before (working on multiplayer games I mean) so I have no idea how hard/easy its gonna be...
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Wow man this looks really cool. A better idea I think than the one I had way back when and more importantly you actually did the work to execute it. Major props. I'll have to try it out. :)
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

Sarudak wrote:Wow man this looks really cool. A better idea I think than the one I had way back when and more importantly you actually did the work to execute it. Major props. I'll have to try it out. :)
Yeah, same here, I also had an astrolabe idea that wasn't nearly as good as this one :)

Will have to try this out now, but I don't have access to the tech yet :(
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh wow. Very cool stuff man. While I never play add-ons, I definitely feel a tug of temptation here especially since you're leaving it to players to figure it out :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Wow, thanks guys... You've all made my day :)
WeedFather

Post by WeedFather »

I never expected to see an add-on like this for BTW. Color me VERY intrigued!

This combined with Biomes O' Plenty and the revival of some other older add-ons, I'm getting a bit excited! :) Then again, maybe that's just my old mod addiction trying to come back.

One question though: Why is it not installable via McPatcher? Because when I try to add it to my McPatcher list of mods, it doesn't show the zip/rar file in the folder I have it in.
Last edited by WeedFather on Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

WeedFather wrote:I never expected to see an add-on like this for BTW. Color me VERY intrigued!

This combined with Biomes O' Plenty and the revival of some other older add-ons, I'm getting a bit excited! :) Then again, maybe that's just my old mod addiction trying to come back.

One question though: Why is it not installable via McPatcher?
Its not? Hum, I didn't know that. I'll try to see what is wrong with that.

But in any case, if you just install it by dragging the files in the jar, it should work, even if you installed BTW with MCPatcher. I know I tested that. I didn't yet try to do it the automatic way though...
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

By the way, I found a bug. Nothing critical, its a missing texture. I'll fix that asap. The nether version is almost done, I'll probably release it with the bug fix.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

jorgebonafe wrote:Its not? Hum, I didn't know that. I'll try to see what is wrong with that.
Basically, the Minecraft world only knows .zip files. You've got one of those newfangled .rar files.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
WeedFather

Post by WeedFather »

Hm. I can install it directly, but McPatcher isn't gonna be happy with it. It's gonna bitch about how it detected that I installed something manually and how I have to start with a fresh new jar. I really got used to using McPatcher, too. ):

Also, I tried transferring the files to a zip folder I made, and while McPatcher picked it up, it didn't work in-game. At any rate, nonetheless, it's still a cool and interesting add-on, and I'll try some more things with this tomorrow.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

All right. The nether version is complete, and so is the addon.

I fixed the missing texture and changed the installation method a little bit. To quote the first post:
jorgebonafe wrote:I changed the installation method a bit, I put a JAR folder inside the zip, and the files inside this folder are the files you need to drag into Minecraft.jar. I did this so MCPatcher would stop being annoying. To install with MCPatcher, do it the same way as you would install BTW.
So, that problem should have gone away. I tested installing with MCPatcher and it worked fine.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Wow. This looks really cool. I'll have to install it and try it out. The only problem is that I'm nowhere near steel :(

But, it gives something to look forward to. Nice job on this!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
WeedFather

Post by WeedFather »

Hey, it does work now! Thanks!
WeedFather

Post by WeedFather »

So far, for some reason, I can't make a normal star map, just a soul map, and yes, I followed the recipes correctly and used a normal lens on a normal empty map.
Spoiler
Show
So, I went to the nether to try it out. So far, I know that the machine needs a redstone signal to power up, and that when I place a soul map onto the machine while it's powered, it shows some strange pattern of red lines...and that's all I've been able to accomplish with it so far. :/ Now I'm really curious. Maybe the nether is windy in it's design or something? I assume that I also need to try and use the lens BTW adds with it somehow, but as a block of it's own, and not as part of a recipe.
I also find it kind of strange how the lens hovers over the machine like that, but then I just too some fence posts and connected the lens to the machine like that to make it feel more correct and scientific.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

WeedFather wrote:So far, for some reason, I can't make a normal star map, just a soul map, and yes, I followed the recipes correctly and used a normal lens on a normal empty map.
You are the second person to mention this bug... And it won't happen with me, I can't reproduce it!.. Argh... wtf is going on....
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Weedfather, can you take a screenshot of the recipe that is not working for you? Like, on the crafting table with the items in there and all?
WeedFather

Post by WeedFather »

Like this?:
Spoiler
Show
Maybe it has something to do with add-on conflicts. Even though I don't know why Biomes O' Plenty add-on or the ModLoader independant version of the craft guide mod would cause a conflict. I'm sure the craft guide mod that I'm using is the one made specifically for this mod.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Can you try running it with a pure BTW installation, with no other addons, to see if the same thing happens?