7 Days to Die - and How I'm now Spoiled

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
DerAlex

Re: 7 Days to Die - and How I'm now Spoiled

Post by DerAlex »

FlowerChild wrote:
I'm still shaking my head and wondering where it is we're supposed to be going every time I see mention of that thing :)
Yeah... I hope the pimps know that, too, meaning we get some incentive later on. Maybe even *gasp* biomes with different resources and different difficulty. I'd certanly rather have a way to travel large distances before having the need to do so, than the other way around. I hope that this is just another instance of them releasing co-dependend systems in seperate updates.

If I look at the initial kickstarter pitch, some stuff is nowhere to be seen yet. And, assuming they don't pull a "Dead Linger" on us and ignore promises made in the pitch, faster means of travel might be a prerequisite for this:
Kickstarter wrote:
Dynamic Story Generation - The story unfolds through our “Dynamic Story Generation System” which guides the player to other survivors, better loot and undiscovered Points of Interests through story note quests.
I also imagine a world where POIs are progressively further apart the more you move away from the center of the map, ideally also progressively harder and with better loot. As far as I know, they didn't say anywhere that that (or something similar) *isn't* the long term plan. But I do remember them saying it's hard to implement because of MP balance.

To the block physics, I like the example they show in the video, because that's about how I would imagine wood frames would react. I *really* hope stone behaves differently. I imagine a collapsing stone house looking like a childrens ball pen before everything settles, and that would look pretty terrible...

On the topic of collapsing structures, what I would really like to see is them reworking *all* of the prefabs, so that the damn things don't collapse without warning and don't use upteen thousand different building materials with wildly different damage values and graphic styles, and, well, don't crumble to dust once you open a door when they look perfectly structurally sound...
There were horses and a guy on fire and I stabbed a guy with a trident.
Psion

Post by Psion »

are there certain skill books I can only obtain in certain biomes? i've been too scared to try the city, burnt lands, or frozen wastelands because i ALWAYS die in less than a minute of entering them.

Along that vein, how the heck does one make clay for molds? despite dozons of skillbooks i've yet to run into any that teach how to make it, and the vanilla recipe doesn't work.
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

Psion wrote:are there certain skill books I can only obtain in certain biomes? i've been too scared to try the city, burnt lands, or frozen wastelands because i ALWAYS die in less than a minute of entering them.

Along that vein, how the heck does one make clay for molds? despite dozons of skillbooks i've yet to run into any that teach how to make it, and the vanilla recipe doesn't work.
I'm assuming you are talking about BTGB. One of the books you need in order to make molds is, I believe, called "intro to pottery". I remember vaguely there being 2 different books on the path to molds, I can't remember the name of the other one. One of the books teaches clay to clay balls, and one teaches clay balls to molds. Might be wrong info, I haven't played for a while.

AFAIK there is no biome specific loot the way the XML works currently, from containers at least, so you can find every skill book in every container that can spawn skill books. There is, however, at least 2 tiers of skill books in the mod, one of them restricted to safes.

Disregard everything I've said in case you are talking about vanilla.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DerAlex wrote: One of the books you need in order to make molds is, I believe, called "intro to pottery".
"Intro To Pottery, Candle Making, Glass Working, and Unemployment Benefits" actually ;)
DerAlex wrote:I remember vaguely there being 2 different books on the path to molds, I can't remember the name of the other one. One of the books teaches clay to clay balls, and one teaches clay balls to molds.
The other one is just the forge book, since there's no need for molds without it.
Dralnalak

Post by Dralnalak »

FlowerChild wrote:"Intro To Pottery, Candle Making, Glass Working, and Unemployment Benefits" actually ;)
"Unemployment Benefits"? So, that's the book we need in order to start receiving the supply crate drops? ;)
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

FlowerChild wrote:
DerAlex wrote: One of the books you need in order to make molds is, I believe, called "intro to pottery".
"Intro To Pottery, Candle Making, Glass Working, and Unemployment Benefits" actually ;)
Somehow it took until now for me to get the joke in the tile, kudos ;)
Psion

Post by Psion »

DerAlex wrote:
Psion wrote:are there certain skill books I can only obtain in certain biomes? i've been too scared to try the city, burnt lands, or frozen wastelands because i ALWAYS die in less than a minute of entering them.

I'm assuming you are talking about BTGB. One of the books you need in order to make molds is, I believe, called "intro to pottery". I remember vaguely there being 2 different books on the path to molds, I can't remember the name of the other one. One of the books teaches clay to clay balls, and one teaches clay balls to molds. Might be wrong info, I haven't played for a while.

AFAIK there is no biome specific loot the way the XML works currently, from containers at least, so you can find every skill book in every container that can spawn skill books. There is, however, at least 2 tiers of skill books in the mod, one of them restricted to safes.

Disregard everything I've said in case you are talking about vanilla.
Vanilla? Now THAT'S something to inspire terror in one's heart. Yes, i was refering to better than giant (effing) bees mod. Come to think of it, every single game FC's modded i've barely ever touched vanilla in. lol

Guess I'm just extremely unlucky then. I've noticed that the last few worlds i've been trying, the buildings are unusually unstable. I've had two houses collapse on me while i was inside them and several others collapse as soon as i attacked a zombie in a PoI. From what i can see some buildings are spawning with half the house being unsupported by ground, because the ground is a block lower than the rest there. so as soon as I aggro the zombies, one inevitably whacks the unstable house and the whole thing comes crashing down, along with any bookcases that might be in it. ;;
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Damn this game is scary lol. I have been playing a bit recently and the way they sneak up on you in buildings ect has my heart jump a mile. Other games get close to this but the humanoid forms and setting tug on some deep innate animal reactions lol.
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

Alpha 12was just released:

https://7daystodie.com/mini-bikes-physics-bears-a12/

Way to much stuff for a quick summary, way too little stuff to get really exited about, but I have to play it before I can judge it. Some of it does sound kinda cool on paper. Once again increased modding possibilities, that can't be a bad thing.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

That is odd:
Spoiler
Show
They removed the ability to crouch through 1X1 holes and said it was on purpose. Bummer that does not sound right at all...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Taleric wrote:They removed the ability to crouch through 1X1 holes and said it was on purpose. Bummer that does not sound right at all...
I'm glad that went. Was far too easy to breach buildings in a way where (most) zombies couldn't follow. I think I even tried adjusting the size of the player bounding box while crouched in alpha 11 with BTGB to stop that happening, but didn't have any luck with it.
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

Alpha 13 preview:
(nice thumbnail, Pimps :D)

Some stuff is nice, like the need for different tools, the item drop physics. And I like the mo-capped zombies and the flood light, but there's also some stuff in there that looks terrible, block health bars and some parts of the new harvesting mechanic. All in all it's a bit of a headscratcher (again).

The new harvesting mechanic removes the ability to control what you want to pick up and what to leave behind. You'll have to clean the inventory even more frequently, because the avatar is actively working against you now by hoovering up everything.

And block health bars? Why? They have damage indicators on every building block already (those cracks, like in MC), and now if you harvest "natural" blocks, they get smaller as you do so, which I think is a nice touch. So the only thing without any damage indication is trees (and cars and some other stuff), so now everything gets a health bar... I do hope this is temporary or at least easy to disable.

And one final nitpick: the vault door, while looking great, does not have the right aesthetic. At all. All the more baffling since in the last few patches they made an effort in having a different, more patchworky, more improvised, style for everything the player crafts (see scrap armor, that looks amazing), and now this. It might be that this door is not crafted and is only found in existing structures, if it is, this point is obviously moot.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just watched the above video. <shrug>

A few thoughts I had during it:

Can't say I like the damage bars and the "HUDs everywhere!" clutter sensation it creates. Don't really find the new zombies look better (I think I may prefer the old ones, but uncertain there). I can see all those loot over time bits on the various resource blocks being quite a pain to tweak. Shame zombies react to time of day instead of light, as those spotlights could have been quite cool for base defense.

No really strong opinions either way though. Will reserve judgement until I have a chance to play around with it.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I think the idea with the steel door is that things become less patchwork as you progress up the tech tree. The metal door certainly looks less makeshift than the wood door as the steel pickaxe does compared to the iron one. Although I think they may have gone a bit overboard with the mechanism.
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

Additional stuff being teased/shown since the last video:

-Cold weather survival/temperature system
-New POI, abandoned buildings (no Zeds, no loot)
-New water
-Flooded basements/underwater loot
-New POI, power station
-Decapitation and limb removal

Decapitation and limb removal in particular should be fun :D

I can't find the source, but for example if you shoot the arms off a Zed can only bite, if you shoot off the legs they can only crawl and so forth. Good stuff.

Alpha 13 hype is slowly rising for me.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DerAlex wrote: I can't find the source, but for example if you shoot the arms off a Zed can only bite, if you shoot off the legs they can only crawl and so forth. Good stuff.
I don't think there is a source for that one, as I haven't heard anything along those lines :)
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

Source

I wasn't sure anymore myself, but there is the source. Since the initial prototype, they say they've also added a lot more weak spots/breaking ppints for decapitation and gibs, and apparently want to show this in a video "soon"

I just re-read a whooole lot of thread ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DerAlex wrote:Source

I wasn't sure anymore myself, but there is the source. Since the initial prototype, they say they've also added a lot more weak spots/breaking ppints for decapitation and gibs, and apparently want to show this in a video "soon"

I just re-read a whooole lot of thread ;)
Ah, cool. Didn't think they would go that route, but happy they are.

One thing to note though: madmole says there that he "suspects" they'll add removable legs, which I don't take as a given that they will. Arms are relatively easy to delete. Legs change how the creature moves around, and I'm not sure how well that will merge with their motion captured animations, and AI, hence why I was suspicious as to whether this was a thing or not.

Love the idea of being able to create crawlers though rather than them being an entirely separate type of zombie. Could get interesting with traps and such too where they'd end up crippling a zombie but not necessarily killing them.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Well I can't say I'm a fan of adding additional gore... Otoh I'm interested in if this will do anything to the standard log spike moat strategy
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Well I can't say I'm a fan of adding additional gore...
You've seen zombie movies before right? Over the top gore is kind of a hallmark of the genre :)
Equitis1024

Post by Equitis1024 »

Does this game have a pause button yet? I bought it a while ago but I was quickly turned off by the lack of such a standard single-player feature. I really don't understand the rationale for forcing people to quit the game every time they need to turn their attention away from the computer for twenty seconds.

I should probably give it another go though; it always seemed like the most promising of the new voxel games...
DerAlex

Post by DerAlex »

FlowerChild wrote: Legs change how the creature moves around, and I'm not sure how well that will merge with their motion captured animations, and AI, hence why I was suspicious as to whether this was a thing or not.
I'm quite curious as to how this will turn out as well. Here is a much more recent quote about limb removal, mentioning legs specifically.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: You've seen zombie movies before right? Over the top gore is kind of a hallmark of the genre :)

I understand that. And no I don't watch zombie movies for that very reason, the closest I came was I am legend that is very minimal on gore. I actually was hesitant to even play 7 days to die in the first place because of the gory zombie skins. It's also an issue for me because my wife is inclined to get gore themed nightmares and we live in a small apartment. Anyway they have a right to do whatever they want with their own game but I personally won't be happy about added gore.
Equitis1024 wrote:Does this game have a pause button yet? I bought it a while ago but I was quickly turned off by the lack of such a standard single-player feature. I really don't understand the rationale for forcing people to quit the game every time they need to turn their attention away from the computer for twenty seconds.

I should probably give it another go though; it always seemed like the most promising of the new voxel games...
Pressing esc for the quit menu pauses the game AFAIK.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Equitis1024 wrote:Does this game have a pause button yet? I bought it a while ago but I was quickly turned off by the lack of such a standard single-player feature. I really don't understand the rationale for forcing people to quit the game every time they need to turn their attention away from the computer for twenty seconds.
I think they just added one (finally) in the last release. I don't get that one either, and it seems to be rather epidemic amongst indie games to not have a pause button for unknown reasons.

My only theories on that one is that it either represents projects that are excessively focused on multiplayer (and I often get the impression that's the case with 7 Days), or there's some inherent difficulty of implementing a pause in Unity that I'm not aware of :P
Yup, it is. I often heap a lot of criticism on it, and often times disagree with individual design decisions, but it's by far the most promising in dev voxel game I've played. I was particularly impressed with the last release and decided in the end to not even update my mod for it because I had such a good time with the stock version, that I didn't feel the need to.
DerAlex wrote: I'm quite curious as to how this will turn out as well. Here is a much more recent quote about limb removal, mentioning legs specifically.
I was thinking about it a bit more, and I suspect if they go full-on crawler for a zombie with a disabled limb, and were able to apply rag-doll to the other leg, that might do the trick. Things only really get complicated IMO if you try and leave some functionality on the other leg.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

DerAlex wrote:Decapitation and limb removal in particular should be fun :D
That is pretty cool, I always felt that the zombies should die from head trauma only and any other damage would only stop the affected body part from working.