7 Days to Die - and How I'm now Spoiled

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
DocHussey

Re: 7 Days to Die - and How I'm now Spoiled

Post by DocHussey »

So... I pretty much am loving this so far. I had a scream-like-a-little-girl moment early this morning clearing out the factory on Courtland. There was one little dark spot by a pillar, I had run out of torches earlier and just found some cloth, so I made more. I popped a torch on the pillar to make the spot lit and BAM! There was a corpse leaning against the pillar looking at me. I squealed and maybe almost peed a bit, that was horrifying. I am really hoping they take this somewhere.
FlowerChild wrote:I'm drawing a line in the soul sand.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

DocHussey wrote:So... I pretty much am loving this so far. I had a scream-like-a-little-girl moment early this morning clearing out the factory on Courtland. There was one little dark spot by a pillar, I had run out of torches earlier and just found some cloth, so I made more. I popped a torch on the pillar to make the spot lit and BAM! There was a corpse leaning against the pillar looking at me. I squealed and maybe almost peed a bit, that was horrifying. I am really hoping they take this somewhere.
I did something similar. First time I went there and saw all the zombies with how dark it was. That place can be suicide when you first go in there I hope they add salvageable machines or something It would be awesome to be force to go in there to get something

I am also finding base building to be more enjoyable now, I found materials that are reasonable to get while actually being able to stand up to a zombie horde for more then 30 seconds
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
My WIP Fan Mission for SS2(youtube)
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

My go-to for base building is turning into reinforced concrete with scrap walls and barbed fence toppers. I made out like a bandit finding about 35 gas cans the other day and now I'm the king of the sand people.
finite8 wrote:Give me all your diamonds and your enchanted gear or your base is going to resemble a Chunk Error.
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

DocHussey wrote:My go-to for base building is turning into reinforced concrete with scrap walls and barbed fence toppers.
mine reinforced concrete outside metal tubing inside, Ive got to fix the barbwire fence yet
DocHussey wrote: I made out like a bandit finding about 35 gas cans the other day and now I'm the king of the sand people.
I have survive that long yet :P , I just ran like hell once I saw the number of zombies. Wont be back till I level the structure with tnt :P
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

TNT? Oh sweet holy fuck, don't do that! Unless you have a hidyhole, that's a MAGNET! Thought I'd be smart and level a house in Coranado with TNT, got totes swarmed while sifting through the rubble...

I'm on day nine, one death so far, think I'm doing okay. If they push the next patch, I won't feel like I've been robbed...
userzero

Post by userzero »

7daystodie.com wrote:In preparation for our Alpha 1.1 Release we have completed our new account registration page which is no longer part of our forum account page.

Please re-register on our NEW ACCOUNT REGISTRATION PAGE!
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

>>2013
>>Not using secure pages for activation
>>ISHYGDDT
Spoiler
Show
userzero

Post by userzero »

DocHussey wrote:>>2013
>>Not using secure pages for activation
>>ISHYGDDT
Spoiler
Show
Yeah, I didn't want to beat a dead horse. I hope they hire somebody with some dev experience soon or they might find themselves in some trouble they can't fix. Looking over the bios and work history of the two brothers who seem to be running it, it looks like they are mostly graphic designers. You'd have thought after the last two weeks they would have learned the lesson about security.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Forum idiots... I had to set a guy straight because he decided to kin a server program script kiddy to FC...

"Wigleg is the 7DtD version of the better than wolves mod maker, he makes a mod then whines about how he's abandoning it because "i dont like teh gam.""
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...was curious so just looked it up. Rather amusing that my infamy is transcending game boundaries ;)
userzero

Post by userzero »

The first patch is out.

Alpha 1.1 Official Release Notes
Spoiler
Show
Mac version support
New recipes for brick, decayed brick, pavers red wood
Fixed console pop up on errors bug
Improved Memory management
Duplicate item exploit fixed
Fixed damage delay on spike traps for the player
Fixed bug that when placing chest it was filled with loot
Fixed bug that zombies dance on stairs
Fixed bug that fat zombie broke the stairs
Server checks client on connection if this client is activated
Max player limit is now 6 in GUI mode
Password is encrypted now in registry and on web access
Fixed bug when close shots went through zombies
Fixed bug that doors had wrong orientation on placing them
Fixed problem that if during reloading clip was removed gun was full though by removing clip on start of reload
Fixed exploit that two people could pick up an item at the same time
Important – New dedicated server command line syntax change you use -OPTION=VALUE, like -port=8 (old was -port 8)

New Dedicated Server command line options

gamemode=0|1 (0 = coop, 1= pvp). In pvp you dont see the other player on the map
maxplayers=X (any number <= 64 is valid). In GUI mode max players is always 8
difficulty=X (X between 1 and 10, limits the wave spawning to day X)
world=X (name of the world to load, currently only Navezgane)
name=X (name of the game)
dedicated (must be last option to start the dedi server)
ip=X (ip the dedicated shall listen on, this is only for the extra socket connections. Unity listening cannot be limited)
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Annnnd suddenly I'm off the boat. For some reason I van't access the M7DTD portal to download it. Ticket submitted. Since the forums are bogged, I'll hope someone here can fill me in...
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Right, since things got sorted out, I'm not really too upset about whats going on with 7DtD. I've had a little inside info chats with some people, watched some interesting streams, and I'm very confidant in its future. You should be too!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, I'm still excited about it, HOWEVER, I'm getting a bit concerned with the rate of development and lack of meaningful info about what's going on.

On the other hand though, it looks like they've been going through and having to deal with hacking hell, which makes them slowing down with other development during that time understandable.
userzero

Post by userzero »

I haven't been posting because like It was pointed out in a prior post I felt like giving the guys a chance to get it sorted it out. I was never upset that they got hacked, I was upset with the way they handled it. I felt it showed more concern for protecting profits and no concern for their customers. There were still some issues with the first patch that had me concerned; some of those have been fixed but others haven't.

The thing that bugs me primarily is the way they have been going about things. I think the way they interact with their community is disingenuous and I'm afraid eventually it's going to turn most people off of the game. I got into a rather heated argument with one of their team and it left me feeling that they don't have the know how (outside of the game dev areas) to keep the project from going off a cliff at some point. Hopefully I'm wrong as I'd love to see this game get finished but I haven't updated the game since the forum was hacked and won't unless I see something that gives me confidence again.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

userzero wrote:I haven't been posting because like It was pointed out in a prior post I felt like giving the guys a chance to get it sorted it out. I was never upset that they got hacked, I was upset with the way they handled it. I felt it showed more concern for protecting profits and no concern for their customers. There were still some issues with the first patch that had me concerned; some of those have been fixed but others haven't.

The thing that bugs me primarily is the way they have been going about things. I think the way they interact with their community is disingenuous and I'm afraid eventually it's going to turn most people off of the game. I got into a rather heated argument with one of their team and it left me feeling that they don't have the know how (outside of the game dev areas) to keep the project from going off a cliff at some point. Hopefully I'm wrong as I'd love to see this game get finished but I haven't updated the game since the forum was hacked and won't unless I see something that gives me confidence again.
And sadly they just might be the kind of people who have to hire someone who can handle that. The devs strike me as the type of people who really need someone to help deal with that side of things. I just hope they figure that out.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Larmantine

Post by Larmantine »

Gods, I can't decide what to buy, this or State of Decay... What do you guys think?
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Larmantine wrote:Gods, I can't decide what to buy, this or State of Decay... What do you guys think?
I wouldn't recommend buying this at present. I like it a lot, but there's too much uncertainty going on with the devs right now for me to recommend it to anyone.

I'd say wait until the 1.2 release and see what the manage to pull off and in how long.
DocHussey

Post by DocHussey »

Figured I'd make a post and mention that it is neither confirmed nor denied that there will be wolves in 7DtD. I'm not saying I have some inside info, but no making a spin-off FC :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You bastard! I saw a post to this thread and had a "is 1.2 out?!!!!!" moment :(
TallTyrionLannister

Post by TallTyrionLannister »

Sorry about the heinous necro here, guys, but at the rate TFP have been releasing updates to this game lately, I figured a new thread for each Alpha release might get a bit tiresome. Has anyone checked out Alpha 6? I think we're starting to see some of the balance issues ironed out (still a LONG ways off, but this is still considered an early Alpha). The new forge system is interesting and the game really is starting to see a nice sheen as minor improvements get added. I'm curious to see FC and the BTW community's impressions...

http://7daystodie.com/alpha-6-is-out/
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just wanted to resurrect this thread to mention that after not playing for a couple of releases, I've been playing with the 7.x line the past few days, and man, the game has gotten a LOT better.

They've actually increased the difficulty of surviving in the early game substantially, and I think have gone a long way with their crafting refinements towards making things more interesting when you're stuck in your base overnight, as you always seem to have something to do now.

Anyways, if like me, you haven't played in awhile, I think it's a good time to revisit the game as it's a very different experience now from what it was previously.
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

The way the zombies react to sound and smell now is very good :) (Damn those dogs though!)
I gave 7DtD a long break too but am looking forward to the next year. The survival elements have enough meat that the zombies are almost extra.

The crafting system used to be a little more intuitive. Now the furnace and mold are neat but I doubt I could get far without the wiki.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, it's getting better to be sure. The very early game is much more interesting with guns being harder to come by, night time activities being more fleshed out through the crafting system, and zombies feeling more like a threat.

Mid game though, it tends to devolve quite a bit into saminess. There's still a massive surplus of guns, food, and ammunition in the environment, it's just not as massive as it was previously. Spider zombies seem to be broken at present in terms of them not really climbing walls anymore (or at least not often...I think their pathfinding may have gotten messed up), which makes base defense less interesting than the last version I played. Mining has become more interesting in terms of the way the underground geometry works (still not entirely convinced I like it though), but less interesting in terms of there only being iron ore in the environment at present.

Anyways, after playing nomadic for several hours over the past few days, I think I'm done with this version. I don't feel particularly threatened anymore even with quick roof-top bases serving to keep me almost entirely safe at night (still the *occasional* bee attack but they're hardly a real danger), and the thought of just continuing to roam or continuing to develop a base isn't really compelling yet (I built some pretty extensive bases in previous versions, so not really interested in doing that again since it hasn't change much).

Looking forward to seeing what they do with caves in the future. The underground portion would really benefit from some more variety.

Oh, in case anyone runs into this as it took me awhile to figure out: you craft small stones by dropping regular stone into the crafting grid alone. It isn't listed as a recipe, but opens up some important ones, like the camp fire. It's also the quickest way to craft a "decent" weapon (stone axe) upon spawn.
lostone1993

Post by lostone1993 »

How is the zombie-player GPS ? I have been told it been fixed/added so zombie don't know where you are and stealth is now possible
Under many names
lost-one
Spoiler
Show
My Youtube