Games suitable for kids

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
mc_dunedin

Games suitable for kids

Post by mc_dunedin »

So, my niece who is six years old is starting to show an interest in computer games lately. Being the "computer guy" in the family, my sister asked me if i could think of any games she could get that might interest the kid. I remember when i started out with computers we had several games that weren't especially tailored for children but still apropriate (Lemmings, some sports or puzzle games etc) but i haven't played anything along those lines myself in a couple of years. Since there are some parents and players with a broader horizon than me frequenting these forums i'm hoping for some recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your insights
julkwiec

Re: Games suitable for kids

Post by julkwiec »

Worms Armageddon? I think it's easy to play but difficult to master. No excessive violence, just exploding animals and fruits ;)
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Sims might be worth a shot.
LJEKadeshi

Post by LJEKadeshi »

I think one of the Portal games, any puzzle game really, might be good (puzzle games are likely to improve intelligence in kids) as well as minecraft or Terraria to help her express creativity.
I've seen young people play these and have a ton of fun and if her mom/dad help her it is actually good bonding time too.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Hmmm, tough one.

Maybe Sim City, not the newest one mind you ;)
Other than that maybe strategy or adventure.

Titles that come to my mind are:
Sid Meyer`s Alpha Centauri
StarTopia
C&C Tiberia Sun
Anno 1602 Maybe also it`s sequels.
My Youtube channel.

Sarelth

Post by Sarelth »

If you are looking for web-site based games you can try Neopets.
It has many games suited for children as well as a limited access community.
There are also puzzles and events that happen for it, as well as things to collect and buy/sell (With in game money not cash, though there are some of those also)
CycloneSP wrote:The sun! it burns!!! Oh wait, that is just the aura of awesomeness coming off of FC. <puts on shades> Ah, much better.
Harcion

Post by Harcion »

Mac wrote:Sid Meyer`s Alpha Centauri
StarTopia
C&C Tiberia Sun
Are you seriously recommending Alpha Centauri for a six-year old? It's a great game, but I think you're vastly overestimating the intelligence level of the average kid.

I'd like to suggest Botanicula - a very cute point-and-click adventure puzzle with basically no text. Some of the puzzles might need grown-up help, but the grown-ups might also need kid help with some of them.

Other ones that I see in my Steam library that might be suitable are "Plants vs. Zombies", "World of Goo" and "Cogs". The latter ones might be too tough, I'm unsure.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh! Incredipede! Very cool little game. I think it would be great for kids.
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

Harcion wrote:
StarTopia
C&C Tiberia Sun
Are you seriously recommending Alpha Centauri for a six-year old? It's a great game, but I think you're vastly overestimating the intelligence level of the average kid.

I'd like to suggest Botanicula - a very cute point-and-click adventure puzzle with basically no text. Some of the puzzles might need grown-up help, but the grown-ups might also need kid help with some of them.

Other ones that I see in my Steam library that might be suitable are "Plants vs. Zombies", "World of Goo" and "Cogs". The latter ones might be too tough, I'm unsure.
I recommend you watch some of Scott Manley's vids where he's playing Eve online with his little daughter in his lap. She can pvp in Eve because her father didn't patronize her intellect when involving her in his hobby. It's also adorable to hear her talk about eve in more detail than I can. XD
Mac

Post by Mac »

Jesar wrote:
Harcion wrote:
StarTopia
C&C Tiberia Sun

I recommend you watch some of Scott Manley's vids where he's playing Eve online with his little daughter in his lap. She can pvp in Eve because her father didn't patronize her intellect when involving her in his hobby. It's also adorable to hear her talk about eve in more detail than I can. XD
As it happens I have Scott Manley in my YT Subscriptions, did not watch that one but will do that now.

On another note, nice and simple for the beginning might be worth it, kinda admit that Alpha Centauri might be
a bit too heavy for a complete beginner but in my personal opinion it is for my part "Child Friendly".
And for topics like these I do give an opinion only on games I actually played and therefore know.
Best one I can recommend on my short list there is actually Anno.
My Youtube channel.

DreamsofFury

Post by DreamsofFury »

Even though the endgame is terribad for most kids Spore is a nice choice at least for the first two stages, as a side note, you can get Galactic Adventures for it and it should mostly solve the bad for kids endgame bit some.
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

Guess I'm just odd but anything by PopCap is pretty much with in the grasp of six year old. Peggle, Plants vs Zombies....
Nelgoth

Post by Nelgoth »

Scribblenauts is a great game for kids just learning to spell if you have a little time to help them to being with. My daughter (7 years old) improved her spelling by several grade levels playing this game over the past two years or so, and had a blast the whole time. My favorite thing that she has created so far is a Blackwidow-Zombie-Tiger. I am not sure how this kid sleeps at night.

She also plays the sims and several other games like these. Honestly though, she plays Minecraft the most out of all games and we have had the most fun playing together. I will have you know FC, you have made her cry on at least one occasion :). I wish you could have seen her reaction to the Gloom the first time she came across it. Priceless. BTW is a little difficult for her at times, but she usually outlives a lot of my other friends on my server when she adjusts to the appropriate level of fear.

For the most part, I would have to agree with the notion of, don't patronize your kids intellect. If you give them games to play like "Barny's Fun House" they are going to stay on that level for much longer. Take some time to teach them how to play more complicated games and watch them flourish. Granted, Alpha Centauri, when starting out can feel a lot like falling Dick first onto an Iron Donkey, and may not be the best if you are not prepared to spend a lot of time showing them how to play.