Leviathan (Biomes O' Plenty) Better Than Solo [CLOSED]

This is the place for SMP server threads, and for general server discussion.
lifeiwater

Leviathan (Biomes O' Plenty) Better Than Solo [CLOSED]

Post by lifeiwater »

This server is now closed. More details at my last post.

Welcome to the Leviathan - Better Than Solo server!

Better Than Solo was created the day BTW launched multiplayer. Because of this our current map (named Ivalice) is well explored beyond 10k blocks and most of the cool challenging features of early game no longer apply to our original players since they have entered the age of steel. So we came up with the idea of running a new map, with the chat linked between both servers :) And so Leviathan was born.

This is a brand new Better Than Solo map taking advantage of all the new terrain gen features of recent BTW releases and hardcore modes. This map also runs Biomes O' Plenty mod for more biomes. Please be sure to install both Better Than Wolves and Biomes O' Plenty before joining to take full advantage of what this map has to offer.

Andre is actively modding the server in order to monitor performance and take action when something is slowing the server down. You can read about at our mods on betterthansolo.com/mods.html.

FYI: My in-game name is Life.

Server Info:
==========================
Web Site: betterthansolo.com
Server Address: leviathan.betterthansolo.com
((You may get a "host not found" error on the server list. You can either ignore this error or use server.betterthansolo.com:25567 instead.))
Server Location: New York, USA
Difficulty: Normal
HC Buckets: On
HC Spawn: On
HC Buoy: On
HC Chests: On
HC Player Names: Off
View Distance: 10
Backups: Complete every 4 hours. Differentials (the changes since last complete backup) every 10 minutes.

Getting on the Whitelist:

Note: If you were previously whitelisted on Ivalice, you will be whitelisted on this server as well

I expect all players that make a whitelist request know how to play Better Than Wolves. If your not familiar with the mod please play single player and learn before applying here. I expect you to know the basic do's and dont's to this mod, and would expect you to not cause problems for other experienced players.

If you wish to invite a friend please let me know in game. You will be expected to teach them the ropes and you will be responsible for them.

Please follow the steps below when requesting to be whitelisted:
  • Read the rules: betterthansolo.com/rules.html.
  • Read the BTW forum rules.
  • Read the "Guide for New Players" at http://betterthansolo.com/
  • Post a reply to this thread that includes your IGN and an introduction about yourself. I recommend a few sentences at a minimum. If you have less than 50 posts, please be as exhaustive as you can. The better the request the faster you get whitelisted! :)
  • We're very diverse in age and location, so you may optionally include your age and country if you want others to know.
  • If you are under the age of 18 please say so. However, including your actual age is still optional.
  • Finally, make sure you indicate in your request that you've read the forum and server rules and agree to them.

I reserve the right to not whitelist you for any reason. If I dont like your whitelist request, I may ask for more information. If your post count is low please be aware that you may be subject to more questions

Rules:
See betterthansolo.com/rules.html. However, updates about rule changes will be posted to this forum thread.
Last edited by lifeiwater on Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.
andreinawolf

Re: Leviathan (Biomes O' Plenty) Better Than Solo [BTW 4.891

Post by andreinawolf »

Beware the all seeing eye of the life's water!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Just out of curiosity, do the clients really need to have BoP installed? If I'm understanding things correctly, it only uses vanilla blocks, and all terrain is generated on the server, so I'd think it only needs to be installed there.
lifeiwater

Post by lifeiwater »

If you don't have the mod installed there are some strange color scheme issues, other then that you could technically go without installing it I believe, but ive not tried it myself.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

lifeiwater wrote:If you don't have the mod installed there are some strange color scheme issues, other then that you could technically go without installing it I believe, but ive not tried it myself.
Ah! Makes sense on the colors. Hadn't thought of that.
Rich131

Post by Rich131 »

Hey there, I'd love to join the server. I've only recently gotten back into BTW and all of the hardcore changes and I think the experience would be much better shared. I played on the original server for a month or so but I intend to play the sh*t out of BTW now.

IGN: Rich131

Bio:

My name is Richard. I am 20 years old and I live in Dublin, Ireland. I am studying comp sci, heading into 3rd year in September. I have been playing BTW on and off for quite some time now and although I have taken breaks, no other Minecraft experience can compare to that which comes with BTW. The timing of this post couldn't have been any better as I have a brand new laptop on the way in a couple of days, so that lends itself to lots and lots of in-game time. I hope I have given you enough details but feel free to ask me any questions that you may have.

I have read the forum and server rules and I accept them.
Yesterday, today was tomorrow & tomorrow, today will be yesterday.
JesterxMailMan89

Post by JesterxMailMan89 »

Sounds awesome :)

IGN: JesterMailMan

Ive been playing BTW for about a year now and have gone through the whole tech tree several times. I havent played much smp since I dont like joining servers that are halfway done, but this would definetly be interesting, especially with BoP. I have read the forum and server rules and I (of course) agree to them, hope to be able to join
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Rich131 wrote:I played on the original server for a month or so but I intend to play the sh*t out of BTW.
When the server launched it had a copy of the whitelist from the main server, so you should be able to login already Rich :)
lifeiwater

Post by lifeiwater »

Rich and Jester, welcome to the server
Rich131

Post by Rich131 »

Awesome, I shall be joining you shortly.
Yesterday, today was tomorrow & tomorrow, today will be yesterday.
ryoloth

Post by ryoloth »

Hi!

This sounds like a cool server and would like to submit my whitelist request
IGN: ryoloth
Introduction: In the mornings I tend to hesitantly stick my head out of the door and unleash a blood curdling battle cry as I rush out brandishing my sword, my afternoons are spent tending to the grounds of my base and doing tasks that need doing, in the evenings I enjoy nice long walks around the area "dealing" with the undead pest problems. But in all seriousness, i enjoy building (though im no good at it xP) and designing traps to automate the torture process. I am semi-decent at redstone logic and can teach basics to those who wish to learn the art of wiring. I am an admin on PK_420's server and am looking for a server to play on when there is slow time on PK's server and this seems to fit the bill quiet nicely. Oh and before I forget, I have read the rules of both the server and the forums and agree to both. I am friendly and am willing to help anyone who needs it :)

Hope to see you soon,
~ryo
"we haven't had a fight since the last one" -Atold 2016
maxsi

Post by maxsi »

just one tink
if any find "nazo hide hole 001" you can use it to pass the night, just don't let the mobs in ok.
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

Hi there

I have been reading about this server and it seems incredibly interesting. The combination of a world-gen mod like Biomes of Plenty for BTW and the Better Than Wolves conversion will hopefully provide for a positively engaging adventure. My father once told me, that when I was born, the doctors had to terminate my umbilical cord with a PS/2 connection. Since that fateful day, I have devoted my life to the pursuit of video gaming. At the age of 2, I was voted "Most likely to succeed" by my peers at the Parish Church of St. Leonard kindergarten. By the age of 5, I was already pursuing a career in game development, drawing complex storyboards and decision flow charts.

Some may be inclined to leave the story there, and ignore my downfall into blind consumerism. I am not one of these people, my humility is something I take great pride in. In 1997, the year of the Ox, the Nintendo 64 games console was released. As an avid fan of gaming, and having only an old Windows 3.11 computer that ran "Arthur's Computer Adventure", I decided that the Nintendo 64 was the games console for me, and that I needed to have it. I toiled for months, doing paid favours for my neighbours in exchange for peasant money. Exactly two months later, I had saved enough for a Nintendo 64 in translucent purple with one extra controller. Due to an oversight attributable to my young, foolish self, I failed to save for any games, and ended up with a rather expensive purple paperweight until my dear father purchased me a second hand copy of the timeless classic, "Turok: Rage Wars", A 15-rated game that struck fear into my coddled, 7 year old heart within minutes of me picking up the controller by having me mauled by a pack of ruthless velociraptors. For clarity, this was back in the good old days, when Velociraptors looked like they did in the blockbuster 1993 family-film "Jurassic Park", and not as toothy, prehistoric drag queens as researchers have recently revealed. After I had regained my composure, I fought through this one game, a viciously detailed FPS where one fights a variety of monstrous beings with remarkable low firepower at your disposal. Hardened in the fire of battle, I was victorious in battling all of these god-forsaken abominations of science, and was rewarded with an obscene weapon that fired a projectile which inaccurately drilled into the assailants head and performed a remarkably inaccurate medieval lobotomy on them. And that, is how I found out what trepanation was.

A few years on, I had amassed a wide variety of Nintendo 64 games but still yearned for more from my gaming experience. Nintendo's decision to abandon cartridges and switch to those annoying mini-CDs that are now used to distribute promotional material gave me my first real lesson about loyalty, after which I proceeded to purchase a Sony Playstation 2, except this time, I bought a game with it. "Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow", an epic story about a rather old man who goes around in spandex injuring various ethnic minorities entertained me for many of the british bouts of poor weather I experience during my preteen years, and was soon followed up by a variety of video game titles I was far too young to own. In fact, I became known as "El niño loco" at my local branch of CeX, also known as Computer Exchange, A british second hand video games store for this very reason.

Finally, in 2005 I purchased A Sony Vaio FS-215Z, an absolute powerhouse of a media laptop. Back when "Centrino" was still a selling point, it combined the mobility of your typical, compact 15.4 inch laptop with the versatility of a desktop replacement, using a drop-in docking station with integrated TV card and a variety of other connectors. This allowed me much greater freedom to pursue my love of gaming. No longer unable to hide my obsessions, I was left able to play "Need For Speed Underground 2" and "Worms Armageddon" while sitting in detention!

Finally owning something that required maintenance, I started to learn how to look after my precious laptop. RAM upgrades quickly turned into full teardowns and reassemblies, with fresh sheets of thermal paste and meticulous removal of dust from even fan, fin and fitting under the hood. I went from just about knowing how to install a game to becoming a self proclaimed deity of the Windows Vista operating system, where I eventually went on to be formally qualified as such, which is another story, but a story worth telling.

My love for this laptop kept it alive for approximately 5 years, by which point it was fighting to stay alive. Eventually, my efforts became futile, as it could not keep up with my ever increasing demands for system performance. As a university student by this point, I needed a reliable system. With a teary eye, I bid farewell to my Vaio, and handed it down to my father, who left it in the trunk of his car for another 2 years. I decided to build a desktop computer. Under the assumption that "Bigger is better" I went for a Full tower case capable of handling Extended ATX motherboards, a decision that I regret every single time I have to move it more than 5 meters. With this first generation i7 powerhouse, I pursued a degree in Computer Science, learning various pointless things that I already had expert knowledge in, Spending a week screaming at Slackware, and undertaking any module that required Ethical Computing as a prerequisite. After a painful 3 years, I broke free of that institution and moved back to the glorious metropolis that is London, where I have spent my waking hours working on that very same machine for ridiculous amounts of time in order to ensure that I can make a respectable living without becoming somebody's pet. Fortunately for me, I have so far been successful in that endeavour.

During this liberated period of my life, I found the Better than Wolves mod, as it was back in 2012, on version 4.16, which I played from a Days Inn on a motorway service station (same thing as a "Rest stop") on the Wolfgale server, a server that managed to sustain itself without being anarchic even though there was no whitelist to keep out unknown, disruptive types. My newer laptop that I played this on, was stolen while staying at this particular hotel, and hence I took an extended break from BTW.

At some point after returning to live in London, I brought my desktop down to my humble accommodation. I started my own Better than Wolves server, a world dedicated to anarchy where everyone was nice to each other and often a tad too helpful. Tired by the constant warring of newb vs newb, I joined a ridiculously old server on the forums that provided me with what I wanted, a detailed, beautiful world where people worked together and I couldn't resolve arguments by teleporting the weaker debater into a pool of lava I had memorised the co-ordinates for. After building a glorious sand temple on a desert mountain, I devoted my time to automating everything in the most obscure order, and to this day, I still find it difficult to feed myself.

However, through running that gauntlet, I have learnt the error of my ways. I now know the importance of having such things as a cow farm set up at an early stage. I went from trying to understand Noir's compact machines to building obscene monstrosities that harvested trees, farmed mobs and grew infinite amounts of wheat. I met interesting people, who are probably all 12 year old masters of deception and gradually became attached to this lovely group of preteen borderline sociopaths.

So in summary. I am really good at minecraft, and I would like to join your server.

I have read the rules and I can confirm that I agree to them.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

ehsanmp wrote:<snip>
I think for that you should remove him from the whitelist :P
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Ethinolicbob wrote:
ehsanmp wrote:<snip>
I think for that you should remove him from the whitelist :P
oh my god you have no idea how tempted I am to do that lol
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

Did the servers just go down?
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Looks like it.
Hey Ehsan, were you just about to move before the server went down?
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

Nope! I jumped over to Ivalice because shit was getting tough. It's hard to get by with zero food
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

This crash has given me time to upload a picture of my hidey base, as suggested.
Spoiler
Show
If you stumble upon it, feel free to donate or build nearby.
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

IGN:obl1terat1ion

Hello life water i'd like to be whitelisted, i'd figure i'd apply here as i want to try BoP with BTW and i have heard good things about BTS in the past, i'm also under 18 EDIT: derp, i agree to the rules :)
Last edited by obl1terat1ion on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

EpicAaron wrote:This crash has given me time to upload a picture of my hidey base, as suggested.
Spoiler
Show
In the timeless words of the rapper coolio:

"Money is your home on the range... dollar bill y'all, dollar bill y'all, dollar dollar dollar dollar dollar bill y'all"
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

obl1terat1ion wrote:IGN:obl1terat1ion

Hello life water i'd like to be whitelisted, i'd figure i'd apply here as i want to try BoP with BTW and i have heard good things about BTS in the past, i'm also under 18
Best start with reading the OP
lifeiwater

Post by lifeiwater »

As most of you know the server is down. I cant get to the server until tomorrow at like 7pm EST time so... take a break and plot out how your not going to die when the server is back up :)

I will review all the new whitelist requests when the server is back up
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

I'd like to request to be part of this server. I haven't played on a BTW server since BWR stopped getting updated. but I've been itching to do more than just play with myself all of the time. *cough*

As far as BTW and MC experience goes I've made it to soul forged steel once since the hardcore strat was added, but I'm not one to rush the tech tree and I have yet to make any seriously complicated builds. Largely that is due to lack of materials and untimely death before returning to spawn to setup a true base.

The idea of playing on a BoP server is particularly appealing because I've already helped BoP with a previous issue and would like to see how BoP is working with multiple players so that I can help identify and hopefully assist in making BoP stable for all. That said I am no way officially affiliated with BoP so I can not guaranty any changes I might submit will be accepted.

I'm curious if spawn is settled in this map as implied by the new player guide? And if not how does that effect the Rules for building at spawn? Are people getting started out in the wilds with the plan to return later to establish the city?

IGN: Pfilson
and I have read and agree to the rules
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

Hey Pfilson,

The rules were designed around the other Better than Solo server, which has HCS off. Things are a little bit crazier here.

Ehsan