New Release! (BTW V4.891)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Gormador

Re: New Release! (BTW V4.891)

Post by Gormador »

I feel the mana !!

Man, I can't wait until I get back home to play ! This update is so awesome, everything just feels like it should have been this way from the beginning. Kuddos man, you're rocking !
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Ethinolicbob

Post by Ethinolicbob »

Well darn.
Gotta feel like a lot of pressure points were hit there!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks for all the love guys. I'm pretty zonked at the moment, and thus not very verbose, but it's much appreciated :)
Jesar wrote:This... This is what I've trained for.
Hehe...ok, this made me chuckle for some reason :)
Pfilson

Post by Pfilson »

Wow, very nice! And due to some stupidity on my end I get to enjoy this release from a whole new world; as well as the full effect of HoD... Starting tomorrow.. It's too late for me to be starting from scratch right now.
johnt

Post by johnt »

-Added a slight delay in recovering your air supply upon surfacing to prevent exploits involving placing temporary blocks like torches to create air pockets.
This is removing something that's one of the few skill mechanics that has to do with swimming. I never used it myself and it's obviously exploit-y, so I'm not complaining about it being removed, just an observation.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

johnt wrote: This is removing something that's one of the few skill mechanics that has to do with swimming. I never used it myself and it's obviously exploit-y, so I'm not complaining about it being removed, just an observation.
Dude, that's not skill. That's just being aware of how to exploit MC's physics.
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

johnt wrote:
-Added a slight delay in recovering your air supply upon surfacing to prevent exploits involving placing temporary blocks like torches to create air pockets.
This is removing something that's one of the few skill mechanics that has to do with swimming. I never used it myself and it's obviously exploit-y, so I'm not complaining about it being removed, just an observation.
Unless I miss understand the changelog, you still can breath underwater, just not with torches. This makes the "only skill" require more skill. Our at least three more seconds of thinking.

Edit: Ninja'd
johnt

Post by johnt »

FlowerChild wrote:
johnt wrote: This is removing something that's one of the few skill mechanics that has to do with swimming. I never used it myself and it's obviously exploit-y, so I'm not complaining about it being removed, just an observation.
Dude, that's not skill. That's just being aware of how to exploit MC's physics.
Well yeah, but when you're drowning thinking quick enough to switch to torch etc and use them the right way takes a little bit of quick thinking and hand-eye coordination. I thought it was entertaining watching Vioki trying to save charlie with torches, anyway, while also recognizing that it's kind of dumb exploit.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

johnt wrote: Well yeah, but when you're drowning thinking quick enough to switch to torch etc and use them the right way takes a little bit of quick thinking and hand-eye coordination. I thought it was entertaining watching Vioki trying to save charlie with torches, anyway, while also recognizing that it's kind of dumb exploit.
You can still save yourself by digging air pockets, and that takes quite a bit more forethought, is more accident prone, and thus more panic inducing (which I think is appropriate when you're drowning). I do not consider "right click, place torch" to be skill based, nor is it something that would naturally occur to someone unless they are aware of the exploit involved, so I also don't consider it creative problem solving either except at a meta-game level.
Fret

Post by Fret »

Wow so many changes in this one. Did you just try to fix everything in one update? Guesz you really want to go home. I can't waitto try it all out. Really intrested in how the new need for gold is going to play out. And the enchanting and pistons and this and that... It's so much awesome content. Great job dude.
Anavros

Post by Anavros »

FlowerChild wrote:-Added Hardcore Enchanting. This rebalances the vanilla enchanting table in various ways to make it a better integrated part of the BTW tech tree, and to make it feel more like a feature and less like an exploit. This feature is comprised of various changes that are listed individually below.
I have never made an enchanting table in BTW specifically waiting for this change. I am so glad that these can be a reasonable part of the game now. Plus everything else--oh, man--this looks like a great update. I was expecting a bug fix or something with that version number.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

What an update!
FlowerChild wrote:Added sound effect for when the player is underwater and wearing a Soulforged Steel Helm with a respiration enchantment.
Considering I Just yesterday enchanted my helm with the respiration arcane scroll I randomly picked up out of the remains of a squid which apparently died in the diamond strata (weird), I'm excited to be able to test this in game! :)

Even with all the incentives already in place I had never built a nether mob trap. It appears that will change now!
heypaint

Post by heypaint »

Jesar wrote:This is what I've trained for. This epic release will fill my insides with glorious hardness.
Lol, you're like the Bear Grylls of BTW now, Jesar!

I'm feeling the temptation to start again from scratch, not sure I can resist. Thanks Flowerchild!
CreeperCannibal

Post by CreeperCannibal »

Well this just steamrolled my plans. Time to play some Better Than Wolves!
"Kneel says the demon light
With its eye of coal
Sauron knows your license plate
And stares into your soul"
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

I'm liking this further balancing of the tech tree beyond early game, still having to "grind" in order to progress further is great and is starting to really make the tech tree itself more into an actual tree rather than a really wide bush. Also I'm shitting bricks that RTH is rushing ever closer, and we appreciate all you do to entertain and teach us o mighty FlowerChild.
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

for a .001 release..one word. "Awesome!"

Flowerchild, thanks for another update and all your time you put into the mod.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

This is the update I was hoping would make it out before my friends I and start recording this weekend. I knew the enchanting system had to be changed and I really like what you've done. The archery changes are neat as well, good stuff.

It's going to be interesting. I get to teach 3 -5 people how to play Better than Wolves. I think it's quite likely their attempts to play minecraft are going to get them killed.
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Wow. This release looks amazing. So many small changes but with such a big impact. I can't wait to experience them in-game, though I fear it will be a while for some of them... :P
You've done such an amazing job making Minecraft into a fun and well thought out game, and you'll always have my gratitude for all the days months of gameplay you've freely provided us.
Cheers FC, and I wish you luck as you wrap up BTW and move on to RTH.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Anavros wrote: I have never made an enchanting table in BTW specifically waiting for this change. I am so glad that these can be a reasonable part of the game now. Plus everything else--oh, man--this looks like a great update. I was expecting a bug fix or something with that version number.
Me too. Actually I made one just the other day for the first time. Now it'll get burned until I come across a manuscript. Thanks, FC, for making this part of the GAME and not just another feature.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

As I'm still unable to play the game all I can say is that the changes to the enchanting system look absolutely fantastic!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
ScubaPlays

Post by ScubaPlays »

johnt wrote:Well yeah, but when you're drowning thinking quick enough to switch to torch etc and use them the right way takes a little bit of quick thinking and hand-eye coordination. I thought it was entertaining watching Vioki trying to save charlie with torches, anyway, while also recognizing that it's kind of dumb exploit.
I always thought paying attention to how much air you have left and judging how much time it'll take you to reach the surface to be the real "skill".
Sockthing

Post by Sockthing »

wow what an update!
That will change my gameplay so drastically.. as it moves away from vanilla more and more! Awesome :)
Rob wrote:Sock-ilocks then tried the momma bear's pixel size and thought that it was just right.
BTW Community SMP Server: Discord | Sock's Crops: Thread
aJaroOllie

Post by aJaroOllie »

An awesome update FC! I know with every change log I read, even if it's something that makes me wince, the game is going to be so much better to play, I can't wait to get it downloaded and play it. Seriously, thanks for all the hard work, time and effort you put into this mod, truly I cannot play Minecraft without BTW any more. Cheers man :)
IGN: Matthew_OJ
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

I've been gone way too long...

This is amazing! Everything I thought was wrong with the Vanilla enchantment table fixed in one swoop! And that weird trick with the air pockets as bonus. But no more time for talk, I want to play BTW.

As a side note, the strange version number made me think this was a small little update... I was pleasantly surprised to see I was entirely wrong. At any rate, I think I see where these version numbers are headed :).
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Vexalor wrote:At any rate, I think I see where these version numbers are headed :).
;)