Finally Learning (Early Game Spoilers?)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Jesar

Finally Learning (Early Game Spoilers?)

Post by Jesar »

So after starting a whole new world to have BoP generate all of the terrain, I finally learned the hard way (or is it the easy way?) that you use your first stone pick to make three stone axes. This allows you to use one for gathering all the wood you'll need for the first night, and two axes for killing animals.

I always was averse to using this method because using three wooden picks to get the stone to make another stone pick always held the stigma of punching all that damn wood. However, if you have an axe to gather the wood, it's no big deal. The time you save by having more than enough axes for wood/food gathering makes up for it big time. I finally get to dig in my hole without running out of wood, and I have meat and stone to spare. :D

Also, if you put a hole in your roof, and if your roof is tall enough, mobs won't fall in because they don't like walking off edges. I don't know if wolfs follow this convention, though.
Fret

Re: Finally Learning (Early Game Spoilers?)

Post by Fret »

Normally I always go 14 planks into stone axe, but this sounds intresting. Gonna try this next time I die.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, I personally favor punching enough trees for two wood picks, and making a stone axe myself.

IMO, the stone pick isn't really useful until night time is setting in, and with the axe you can gather enough wood to make three more wood picks very quickly.
Rob

Post by Rob »

FlowerChild wrote:Yeah, I personally favor punching enough trees for two wood picks, and making a stone axe myself.

IMO, the stone pick isn't really useful until night time is setting in, and with the axe you can gather enough wood to make three more wood picks very quickly.
When I read of this strategy in a previous thread, I decided to adopt it. My only word of warning/advice to anyone as noob as me. Make sure you craft the logs into planks BEFORE you go hunting.. lmao. I don't know how many times I've made this mistake and had to place logs and punch them for planks.. >.>
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rob wrote: When I read of this strategy in a previous thread, I decided to adopt it. My only word of warning/advice to anyone as noob as me. Make sure you craft the logs into planks BEFORE you go hunting.. lmao. I don't know how many times I've made this mistake and had to place logs and punch them for planks.. >.>
Hehe...if it makes you feel any better, I did that once too. Once and only once mind you :)
Noshery

Post by Noshery »

Today was the first time in a half-year that I have played the mod, and watching icy's game with FlowerChild helped amazingly.
utakataJ6

Post by utakataJ6 »

..........I cannot even believe I never considered that. *facepalm*
Here I keep thinking I'm an expert on the early game, and yet this method has got to produce sooooo much more sawdust and bark for the first night, too... aaargh
morvelaira:
Not all Minecraft players have stamped down the knee-jerk, lawful-good Superman reaction yet. We do hold a rather high proportion of the enlightened on these forums ;)
flowerchild:
Not to mention a mod that trains the player to be rather morally ambivalent ;)