BTW Succession Game

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Anavros

BTW Succession Game

Post by Anavros »

Inspired by Taleric's post in another thread, I am starting a succession game of Better Than Wolves. One save will be played in turns by different people. Your turn lasts until you die. It is highly encouraged to write your experiences down using a book & quill. Try to keep it safe for posterity.

Rules:
Spoiler
Show
When you die--hold back the tears--respawn, quit, and post a download of your save.
There are no restrictions on gameplay. Build whatever and wherever you please. I expect phalluses.
Hardcore Buckets should be on.
Play on normal difficulty.
Player List:
Spoiler
Show
icynewyear
Taleric
mneMoose
UtakataJ6
Thalartica
ElectroBot
JakeZKAM
Detritus
Ulfengaard
Mason11987
Chomamonka
Anavros
If you are interested in signing up, send me a PM and I will add you to the rotation. When the end of the list is reached, it will roll over and start again from the top. Currently, we are only allowing twelve players. No spots are open, and we are not accepting new players. Sorry.
Last edited by Anavros on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:10 am, edited 16 times in total.
ElectroBot

Re: BTW Succession Game

Post by ElectroBot »

This would be quite cool as a server-side mod which bans the player upon death, removes them from the whitelist, adds the next player to the whitelist and somehow informs the next player that its their turn.

As a bonus (would take a lot of effort), server-side live stream of the player would be quite nice as well.
Anavros

Post by Anavros »

That would be cool. Actually, it would be a lot smoother to use a server. If this goes on, I may look into setting one up. It would be nice to have everything automated, but right now there's no reason to complicate things. I don't know if too many people will be interested.
ElectroBot wrote:As a bonus (would take a lot of effort), server-side live stream of the player would be quite nice as well.
Like a player following them around and recording? I don't know about that. That's what the books are for. You get that after-the-fact personal writing. I think that's more compelling than being able to watch someone's every action.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

I'd be down and will record it.
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

Anavros wrote:That would be cool. Actually, it would be a lot smoother to use a server. If this goes on, I may look into setting one up. It would be nice to have everything automated, but right now there's no reason to complicate things. I don't know if too many people will be interested.
Yeah, makes sense.
Anavros wrote:Like a player following them around and recording? I don't know about that. That's what the books are for. You get that after-the-fact personal writing. I think that's more compelling than being able to watch someone's every action.
I was thinking more of a server-side twitch.tv connected player view (send the same data to the client as the server-side "camera") that is only activated when a player plays, although it would get boring (to some/most ppl) watching others do the same tasks over and over without editing.

Might also be a good idea to have players tally the amount of hours/minutes they survived, how they died and have them post that here (just a brief synopsis).
Anavros

Post by Anavros »

icynewyear wrote:I'd be down and will record it.
That's super-awesome because I like your videos. I'll add you in.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Put me on the list please :)
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

I'm in, too. Nice idea.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
0player

Post by 0player »

Nice idea, but hard difficulty?.. BTW is balanced for normal.
Anavros

Post by Anavros »

0player wrote:Nice idea, but hard difficulty?.. BTW is balanced for normal.
Yes, it is. This was intentional. I want people to die. When people die, other people get turns. Especially at the beginning, what I want is for everybody to get a chance to play without a ridiculus wait. I still want the game to be fun, and people to be able to accomplish things, but hard difficulty adds a bit of an edge and makes the rotation move faster. I do intend to slow the game down once the world progresses and there are outposts and other help. Things like lengthening the time limit and possibly scaling back the difficulty to let people get more done. We'll see how things go.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Anavros wrote: Yes, it is. This was intentional. I want people to die. When people die, other people get turns. Especially at the beginning, what I want is for everybody to get a chance to play without a ridiculus wait. I still want the game to be fun, and people to be able to accomplish things, but hard difficulty adds a bit of an edge and makes the rotation move faster. I do intend to slow the game down once the world progresses and there are outposts and other help. Things like lengthening the time limit and possibly scaling back the difficulty to let people get more done. We'll see how things go.
Isn't that a rather punishing approach to take to the early players? I assume people only ever get one turn, so making it easier for those that come later (who already have it easier) seems rather backwards.

I suspect you may run out of players before that ever becomes an issue. Just me, but I probably wouldn't be concerned with rushing people at start.
johnt

Post by johnt »

If you want the rotation to be faster, why not just make the rotation faster?
Anavros

Post by Anavros »

FlowerChild wrote:Isn't that a rather punishing approach to take to the early players? I assume people only ever get one turn, so making it easier for those that come later (who already have it easier) seems rather backwards.

I suspect you may run out of players before that ever becomes an issue. Just me, but I probably wouldn't be concerned with rushing people at start.
Ah, no. People will stay in the rotation and have unlimited turns. Once we reach the end of the list, the first player will go again and turns will progress normally from there. Which, of course, presents a problem if too many people sign up. But anyway, I really should have made that more clear. I'll add it into the post.

Actually, I did want to talk about the balance. I think I overdid the rules. It would be much cleaner and easier to understand if I removed the time limit and nonsense suicide clause. Theoretically, people could play forever. Although, after sleeping on it, I think that's alright. BTW is plenty hard ;). If you're really good just promise not to hog the game for a year. Also, is hard too hard? I like the extra challenge, but if I'm not mistaken, raising the difficulty in-game doesn't do much besides making mobs stronger. That could be frustrating.

Thanks for all the feedback and interest. To the people who are signed up: Would you prefer to do away with the time limit as I mentioned?
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

I'm in. I think normal difficulty is appropriate for this, and I think a time-limit is just fine, some people in this are really good at BTW, and might not die. I'd say a week is more than sufficient for someone to see what others have done (if they didn't die), make it back to the main base (if they so choose) and build awesome things before handing off the reins to someone else.

This is a cool idea. Thanks for starting it up!
Anavros

Post by Anavros »

Mason11987 wrote:I'm in. I think normal difficulty is appropriate for this, and I think a time-limit is just fine, some people in this are really good at BTW, and might not die. I'd say a week is more than sufficient for someone to see what others have done (if they didn't die), make it back to the main base (if they so choose) and build awesome things before handing off the reins to someone else.

Yeah. I don't think I'll mess with it anymore. I've made up my mind. Normal should be fine. Time limits are going to have to be fussed with, and adjusted, and monitored, and that would be a pain. Plus the suicide rule; I really couldn't come up with a good way to do that. We'll just play normally and pass it on after death. Nice and simple. I'll put you on the list.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

Anavros wrote:
Mason11987 wrote:I'm in. I think normal difficulty is appropriate for this, and I think a time-limit is just fine, some people in this are really good at BTW, and might not die. I'd say a week is more than sufficient for someone to see what others have done (if they didn't die), make it back to the main base (if they so choose) and build awesome things before handing off the reins to someone else.

Yeah. I don't think I'll mess with it anymore. I've made up my mind. Normal should be fine. Time limits are going to have to be fussed with, and adjusted, and monitored, and that would be a pain. Plus the suicide rule; I really couldn't come up with a good way to do that. We'll just play normally and pass it on after death. Nice and simple. I'll put you on the list.
Is Chomamonka playing now?
Chomamonka

Post by Chomamonka »

All right guys! Sorry about the wait I just finished. Didn't catch the rule change so I was playing on hard. You will probably wanna change that. Unfortunately I only made it to my second night.
Started out in a jungle biom, a huge one. First day was pretty routine. I set out eastward the second day and never managed to get out of the jungle :(. I sheltered in a cave an thought I had blocked off the entrance but a zombie climbed in literally AS I was crafting a journal to immortalize my run for posterity.
The next player will be starting off in wonderful looking forest biom.

Here's the link. Let me know if it works. First time hosting a file on mediafire.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/d2mx5 ... sion_2.zip
Also I'm thinking you should add one to the number at the end of the file after each player.
Anavros

Post by Anavros »

Ok, so hard is too much. That's good to know, we'll keep it on normal. I was hoping I could catch you before you started playing. I'll start my turn tonight. The link works fine, btw, and that's a good idea about the filename.
Chomamonka

Post by Chomamonka »

Also I think we will need to move the player who has just gone to the end of the list other ways is is possible that the list will grow fast enough for it to never get back to the beginning, if that makes sense.
Anavros

Post by Anavros »

Chomamonka wrote:Also I think we will need to move the player who has just gone to the end of the list other ways is is possible that the list will grow fast enough for it to never get back to the beginning, if that makes sense.
Yeah, I feel bad that your turn got cut short because of me. If you want another go, I'll let you take my turn. You do bring up a good point. If people keep signing up, no one already on the list will get another turn. A player cap might be in order. Possibly 10 or 12?
ElectroBot

Post by ElectroBot »

Anavros wrote:
Chomamonka wrote:Also I think we will need to move the player who has just gone to the end of the list other ways is is possible that the list will grow fast enough for it to never get back to the beginning, if that makes sense.
Yeah, I feel bad that your turn got cut short because of me. If you want another go, I'll let you take my turn. You do bring up a good point. If people keep signing up, no one already on the list will get another turn. A player cap might be in order. Possibly 10 or 12?
That's probably good and create another map for the 2nd set of ppl.

If/when this is a server, then it could have 1-2 players on at once if there's enough demand, but rules would "demand" they not play co-op.
Chomamonka

Post by Chomamonka »

Well no my point was that if you move me to the end of the list then new players would be added after me and therefore everyone will be guaranteed multiple turns. So basically the person at the top of the list will be the one going. Also I think a second player list is a good idea.
Anavros

Post by Anavros »

Chomamonka wrote:Well no my point was that if you move me to the end of the list then new players would be added after me and therefore everyone will be guaranteed multiple turns. So basically the person at the top of the list will be the one going. Also I think a second player list is a good idea.
Ah, I see. I can do that. We are going to be restricting players as well, so everybody should get plenty of turns.

Well, my turn is over. I ran out of food after a few weeks in-game. That was a very interesting run for me. I left a base or two and a few holes in the ground. I did write a book. Hopefully it's a good read if anyone finds it. I was in a lovely area. It was desert, but it was near a forest and a jungle. There was a river. I made a bunch of waterfalls. There were stone hills. So that's something to look for. Next player is Icy, you're in the jungle. Here is your download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/sq4ns ... sion_3.zip
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

Shit...I'll do mine tomorrow :)
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »