The Discovery of Features (Potential HoD Spoilers)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
EmptyNight

The Discovery of Features (Potential HoD Spoilers)

Post by EmptyNight »

When Hardcore of Darkness was added, I already had a base up and running and had a decent supply of nethercoal in my singleplayer world so when I first explored a new cave, I had enough torches to dispel the admittedly very oppressive darkness further inside. I didn't discover other aspects of this change until today.

I set up a BTW server for my younger brother and his friends to play on; they do not play Better Than Wolves. It was night and one of them had little to no food, and no wood, and no one else in sight. "Dig a dirt cocoon!" my brother says so that he can hide from the mobs. This does hide him, but it also leaves him in gloom. Shortly after he asks what this Dread thing is. Dread turns to Terror and all of a sudden he starts losing health. He panics and I tell him to dig out a small hole to let in some light only for him to cry out "I don't know which way is up!" He got out alive but died later.

It never even occurred to me that there were status effects darker than Gloom, it seemed like something that would trigger a reaction of "too dark; turn back now" if the pitch dark wasn't enough of a clue to plop down a torch. I suspect I wouldn't have discovered this on my own. So thank you, FlowerChild, for that awesome moment of discovery within an incredible mod that has yet to make me permanently rage quit. The hilarious reactions of my brother's friends as they reacted to various hardcore modes were another excellent experience from this adventure; I may have enjoyed their pain a bit too much.
IGN: Strucon
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: The Discovery of Features (Potential HoD Spoilers)

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...awesome man. Thanks for sharing the story, as I love hearing that kind of stuff :)
DiamondArms

Post by DiamondArms »

I suddenly have this urge to construct flood traps which kill by preventing placement of torches. is there an estimate time on the effects of this?
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Since this thread is already here, I'll just mention quickly that me and my 10 year old sister have been playing for the last week on BTW from the beggining. She thought at first everything was way too hard, because she was used to vanilla, but after a bit of convincing to try it for a while she quickly started to love playing with BTW, even with all the hardcore features. So that's another win :) Also the first time she heard the wolf howls her terror reaction was priceless...
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Since this thread is already here, I'll just mention quickly that me and my 10 year old sister have been playing for the last week on BTW from the beggining. She thought at first everything was way too hard, because she was used to vanilla, but after a bit of convincing to try it for a while she quickly started to love playing with BTW, even with all the hardcore features. So that's another win :) Also the first time she heard the wolf howls her terror reaction was priceless...
Bah...you just managed to touch a small still living part of the dark cold stone where my heart used to be. Don't do that :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

Oh no... I can see the next release will be the flowers and colors btw update.... What have I done?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jorgebonafe wrote:Oh no... I can see the next release will be the flowers and colors btw update.... What have I done?
Guess it's time for me to go watch this My Little Pony thing everyone has been going on about :)
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

I just hope you don't look to yourself one day and decide its too late to go back and just end it all...
Lars

Post by Lars »

If FC kills himself, I'll dig him up and rekill him. I'm already pissed off enough as it is by discovering all these interesting people/artists, and finding out that they are either already dead, or terminally ill. This has happened to me way too many times this year, and it makes me angry. FC had better not come on this list as well!
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I second the motion that FC is not allowed to die or become terminally ill. All in favor?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I second the motion that FC is not allowed to die or become terminally ill. All in favor?
See, now this is nice and morbid. Way better than Ponies. I feel much better :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: See, now this is nice and morbid. Way better than Ponies. I feel much better :)
I'm going to count that as an aye. Any opposed?
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

Sarudak wrote: I'm going to count that as an aye. Any opposed?
I oppose unless FC will teach me his secret to deliberately not dying or becoming ill.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Sarudak wrote:I second the motion that FC is not allowed to die or become terminally ill. All in favor?
Hear, hear. On penalty of death.
MAZD1X1E

Post by MAZD1X1E »

Azdoine wrote:
Sarudak wrote: I'm going to count that as an aye. Any opposed?
I oppose unless FC will teach me his secret to deliberately not dying or becoming ill.

FC is clearly immortal. Whether this is due to him being a God, undead or an undead God I'm not entirely certain...
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Azdoine wrote:I oppose unless FC will teach me his secret to deliberately not dying or becoming ill.
I just wanted to mention that opposing this motion is (obviously) a bannable offense under rule #8.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MAZD1X1E wrote: FC is clearly immortal. Whether this is due to him being a God, undead or an undead God I'm not entirely certain...
Hehe...no. When I make statements like "here's my idea for a space game because I don't see myself having time to work on it myself" that's an acknowledgement of my own mortality.

I've definitely hit the age where I look ahead to my remaining productive years and they seem oh so finite. I've become keenly aware that I have a limited number of games left I can make before I'm out of time, and there's no way I'm going to have enough time to make all my ideas a reality. When you're younger, it feels like you have all the time in the world, and it's rather sobering when you wake up one day and realize that's not actually the case :)
MAZD1X1E

Post by MAZD1X1E »

FlowerChild wrote:
MAZD1X1E wrote: FC is clearly immortal. Whether this is due to him being a God, undead or an undead God I'm not entirely certain...
...that's an acknowledgement of my own mortality.
So you've still to come back as an undead...

My bad :P

Anyway, time to try and steer this back somewhere near on topic:

I had my first encounter with dread earlier today due to my usual lack of planning my spelunking trip properly, and now I find myself actually taking the time to ensure I always have some spare coal and wood in my inventory, just in case.
Gears

Post by Gears »

FlowerChild wrote:Guess it's time for me to go watch this My Little Pony thing everyone has been going on about :)
Don't. I don't even know how they managed, but they managed to make me like the show.

I mean they had the fucking pony version of Q from Star Trek psychologically torture the main characters and break apart their friendship so he could rain hell on all the ponies.

Back on topic, Hardcore of Darkness is just one more reminder for me to never leave my fucking house to go spelunking without a couple stacks of shafts and coal. It's invigorating my severe fear of the dark in a way I hardly experience in video games due to a lack of total darkness as well as hazards to being in said darkness. This merging of my fears in the game and my fears in real life has increased the immersion of BTW more so than I would have thought possible.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gears wrote:Back on topic, Hardcore of Darkness is just one more reminder for me to never leave my fucking house to go spelunking without a couple stacks of shafts and coal. It's invigorating my severe fear of the dark in a way I hardly experience in video games due to a lack of total darkness as well as hazards to being in said darkness. This merging of my fears in the game and my fears in real life has increased the immersion of BTW more so than I would have thought possible.
Hehe...word up man. I'm glad to hear it :)
Lars

Post by Lars »

I have this pretty old, but still very nice little Creative Cambridge Soundworks quadrophonic surround set. Surround sound is actually pretty well done in Minecraft, and those snarling wolves sounds you hear at "dread" freaked me out even in a relative safe environment. First I heard one in front of me, but the one that was right behind me gave me fucking goosebumps. I don't think I've been this nervous in a game since Amnesia.
FC man, I envy your gamedesign talents. I only wish I was that skilled, maybe I could actually find a job in gamedesign around where I live.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Lars wrote:I have this pretty old, but still very nice little Creative Cambridge Soundworks quadrophonic surround set. Surround sound is actually pretty well done in Minecraft, and those snarling wolves sounds you hear at "dread" freaked me out even in a relative safe environment. First I heard one in front of me, but the one that was right behind me gave me fucking goosebumps. I don't think I've been this nervous in a game since Amnesia.
FC man, I envy your gamedesign talents. I only wish I was that skilled, maybe I could actually find a job in gamedesign around where I live.

Thanks dude :)

Yeah, I made sure to take the time to position the sounds in 3D space. The effect is pretty freaky even in stereo, so I can imagine it must be very much so with surround sound.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Recently had my own scare down in the caves while hunting for diamonds. I've gotten very lucky indeed on this run. Medium sized pumkin farm going, cows, chicken, and sheep all penned up. Enough Iron to have gotten myself 2 picks, a hoe, and shears. Yet most importantly I haven't died once, and I'm fairly proud of it. Yet while caving during the night I was getting quite creeped out by the ambient noises and the darkness pushing down on me. Suddenly an arrow hits me in the face, I stay calm, make a barrier and wait for the sack of bones to walk around the corner. I slayed it easily yet immediately another arrow came for me. I panicked and prepared to die when... another arrow hit the newest skeleton and they started dueling. I ran like hell getting to the surface as fast as I could and blocking the entrance, and I haven't gone down the since -.-