Possible Spoiler - Hardcore Darkness

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Jesar

Possible Spoiler - Hardcore Darkness

Post by Jesar »

Spoiler
Show
Jesus man, I had no idea that the entrance to my hidey-hole was so poorly lit. You can say that this prospect fills me with some sort of negative feeling. Like a kind of bad feeling looms over me when I'm standing there.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Possible Spoiler - Hardcore Darkness

Post by FlowerChild »

Jesar wrote: You can say that this prospect fills me with some sort of negative feeling. Like a kind of bad feeling looms over me when I'm standing there.
Gloom? :)
Jesar

Post by Jesar »

FlowerChild wrote:
Gloom? :)
Yes, that describes it quite nicely. What's also nice is that I've started collecting coal more often, and noting where I find it. It is my only defense against the gloom!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Jesar wrote: Yes, that describes it quite nicely. What's also nice is that I've started collecting coal more often, and noting where I find it. It is my only defense against the gloom!
Excellent, as that was the intent :)

I'm working on changes right now to make The Gloom a little more palpable. I'll probably put out a release in the next few hours, as there's a couple of small issues I want to patch up as well.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

FlowerChild wrote:Excellent, as that was the intent :)
I only just realized that and you were even talking about it earlier this week -.-

I must be slipping
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

FlowerChild wrote:Excellent, as that was the intent :)
Ah, so that's what you meant about "doing something about" the guy who had all the lovely coal sitting in his base :) Honestly, I'm very liberal with torches. I put them everywhere, even when I'm not sure a space needs any more light -- because coal is easy to find, and darkness makes me want to curl up into a ball and cry. No, seriously, sometimes I have to just take a deep breath and force my shaking bones down into dark caves and ravines. There are bad, evil, nasty things down there.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

By the way, this was a really nice update. The darkness makes it much easier for me to know when a space ought to have more light. Thanks :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jkievlan wrote: Ah, so that's what you meant about "doing something about" the guy who had all the lovely coal sitting in his base :)
Well, originally I was just going to go for the status effect for stumbling around in the darkness (what's referred to as "Gloom" in game), so that's what I was talking about there. It was Panda's thread in off topic and a post to the MCF thread awhile ago about people adjusting their gamma in the config file to get a similar effect that pushed me to make it a visual thing as well.

I wasn't really happy with the status effect alone, as there was something odd about still being able to see what was on screen, but having your character stumble around as if blind.
warmist

Post by warmist »

It's dark here. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
RandomObj3ct

Post by RandomObj3ct »

warmist wrote:It's dark here. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
coming soon!!!
lanterns and hardcore hardcore darkness:
walking around in the gloom for an extended period of time has the player randomly killed by a grue
Why not? Because it would have made sense!
johnt

Post by johnt »

I'm not sure if this behavior is related to hardcore darkness or just general squeamishness about night, but I've noticed that my players often just disconnect at night time so they don't starve to death. I wonder if there is some way to discourage that kind of behavior.
RandomObj3ct

Post by RandomObj3ct »

johnt wrote:I'm not sure if this behavior is related to hardcore darkness or just general squeamishness about night, but I've noticed that my players often just disconnect at night time so they don't starve to death. I wonder if there is some way to discourage that kind of behavior.
that's always been an issue in vanilla minecraft and with any mod. it's only ever new players that often do it though, most that know what they are doing go into night time activities like mining. although with BTW night time is the best mining time some things are never going to change unfortunately.

it's a very difficult issue, there's nothing to gain from exploring at night before you have the equipment, leaving you locked away from the outside world. there is nothing to gain, if the player has no night time activities they are either going to AFK till morning or log off.

i think the true answer is time, beds have ruined night time play and the difference between a pre-bed and post-bed player shows here, new players just need to learn the now lost art of night time work.

teach them to be creatures of the night...
Why not? Because it would have made sense!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

johnt wrote:I'm not sure if this behavior is related to hardcore darkness or just general squeamishness about night, but I've noticed that my players often just disconnect at night time so they don't starve to death. I wonder if there is some way to discourage that kind of behavior.
Sure there is. Kick a few off the white list for cheating :)

Seriously, that's just sad. Sure, I could put additional work into smacking down those kinds of exploits, and I may do so at some point, but I think you'd be well within your rights as a server op to disallow such behavior.

Also, I sincerely doubt it has anything to do with Hardcore Of Darkness, since that only affects underground, and does so both night and day.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Encased my friend in a cobble coffin while we went afk for a couple minutes and well... Let's just say the Darkness thought he was quite an appetizer XD
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Oh my god i just had am amazing idea for a player trap... somehow get the player to a dark room, and layer the walls with obsidian so they cant get out, then after they perish somehow (i havent experienced the darkness yet) turn on a light and collect the items ;)
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gunnerman21 wrote:Oh my god i just had am amazing idea for a player trap... somehow get the player to a dark room, and layer the walls with obsidian so they cant get out, then after they perish somehow (i havent experienced the darkness yet) turn on a light and collect the items ;)
Instantly defeated by a player carrying a torch...which players tend to do :)
TiLT

Post by TiLT »

So me and my little brother thought we would play the mod for some fun times.

After spending about 10 minutes of collecting wood and such it got a little dark (And wolves wanted to eat our souls).

So we made a little hidey hole in the side of a hill and laid out the crafting table as a wall, however when a skely showed up I thought I should close it up.

So my little bro broke the table and replace it with 2 planks.

Then we found out what gloom was.

Freaking out I tried to create a furnace in time, but to no avail.

One of the funniest experiences I've ever had in minecraft but my little bro was terrified, confused, and thought endermen were surrounding him. :P
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Ok I finally got a chance to experience this and I must say that the soundtrack in the darkness is truly masterfully done. I'm certain if I hadn't put myself in a tiny 2x1 enclosure to see what the effect was it would have been very terrifying. :D
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Ok I finally got a chance to experience this and I must say that the soundtrack in the darkness is truly masterfully done. I'm certain if I hadn't put myself in a tiny 2x1 enclosure to see what the effect was it would have been very terrifying. :D
Thanks man! I spent a fair amount of time on that, so I guess you'll see why I decided to hold off on trying to jam it into the initial release :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Yeah I haven't had a lot of time to play around with the feature yet but the sounds are properly terrifying and having an arrow fly out at you from the darkness suddenly gives a whole new fear to cave exploration!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Yeah I haven't had a lot of time to play around with the feature yet but the sounds are properly terrifying and having an arrow fly out at you from the darkness suddenly gives a whole new fear to cave exploration!
I find the nice part about those sounds, is once you've experienced them, it unnerves you a bit when you hear the vanilla ambient cave noises (at least it does for me), as they don't feel quite so innocent anymore :)
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I do not need a status effect label to tell me that I am freaking out right now thank you! Oh god oh god oh god I'm gonna diiieee.....
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:I do not need a status effect label to tell me that I am freaking out right now thank you! Oh god oh god oh god I'm gonna diiieee.....
Lol...point taken :)