Why I love HC Bucket

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Lars

Why I love HC Bucket

Post by Lars »

Aside from the awesome waterways you get to build, HC bucket also helps you to avoid becoming a cheating scumbag. Or that's how I view stuff like this now anyway,..

I really used to like Sethbling a lot, but that has kind of lessened. Maybe it's because he seems to post lots of exploits lately, or my minecraft ethics have been influenced a lot by playing BTW.
Stormweaver

Re: Why I love HC Bucket

Post by Stormweaver »

It just goes to show the sheer effort people are willing to put in to have fun in minecraft.

I'm lazy; I just install BTW.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
turtlemuncher

Post by turtlemuncher »

wow that is just intreasting. i mean why build ladders when you can do this? and actully its still therotical possible in BTW too even with HC buckets but its just a shit-ton harder

edit: yep still possible. just harder
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

This is pretty exploity but dirt scaffolding i think is the ultimate offender that facilitates movement.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

There's actually a section of Vech's tutorial map that specifically teaches you how to do that. It's really not all the hard though once you have the timing down.

As far as the topic goes, HCB also prevents the semi-cheaty (ok, really cheaty) method of dumping a bucket of water down a ravine and jumping into it to avoid the fall damage.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Glad to hear you love it so much guys, as it's likely becoming non-optional very shortly ;)

I think my rant in Icy's LP about optional modes and how I hated having 2 left in BTW really got to me as I've been obsessed with nuking both ever since.
Gabecraft1234

Post by Gabecraft1234 »

No you can still use a water bucket to descend a high place taking no damage. It just takes some timing.
Lars

Post by Lars »

FlowerChild wrote:it's likely becoming non-optional very shortly ;)
Good, glad to hear it! When I was introduced to it I was skeptical, but that quickly changed to preffering HC bucket, but not minding it being turned off. Now I don't want to play with it turned off anymore!
I have always liked making villages and cool infrastructure. These things would be foley structures in vMC, but in BTW they serve a real purpose. I love it :D
jwideman

Post by jwideman »

I found it annoying at first and always had it off, but I learned to plan my farms around waterways. I just wish there were ways to get the water to higher levels, for settling near a river.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

jwideman wrote:I found it annoying at first and always had it off, but I learned to plan my farms around waterways. I just wish there were ways to get the water to higher levels, for settling near a river.
It's called a Screw Pump, and you get access to it somewhat late game.
jwideman

Post by jwideman »

Thalarctia wrote:
jwideman wrote:I found it annoying at first and always had it off, but I learned to plan my farms around waterways. I just wish there were ways to get the water to higher levels, for settling near a river.
It's called a Screw Pump, and you get access to it somewhat late game.
I know, but it's that "late game" bit I have a problem with. I'd like to be able to settle near a river - or ocean - and build a hemp farm as soon as I can make an iron hoe. A hydraulic ram pump would be ideal. It doesn't need mechanical power (it's two valves and pipes). But it takes up a HUGE amount of space and much less water comes out than goes in (which could be implemented as the water flowing only a few blocks horizontally), so a screw pump would still be preferable later on.
Of course, I realize it changes the early game quite a bit so won't likely be added by FC. That's why it's just a wish.
woeuntoyou

Post by woeuntoyou »

Speaking of HC buckets, do you think you would want buckets to only get water from source blocks to encourage carrying multiple water buckets when deep caving? As of right now, you only really need one water bucket to put out an unlimited amount of lava as long as you place the water on the wall or the ceiling, or is this intentional?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jwideman wrote: I know, but it's that "late game" bit I have a problem with. I'd like to be able to settle near a river - or ocean - and build a hemp farm as soon as I can make an iron hoe.
...and this is why I'm considering making it non-optional.

Seriously dude, you really should try playing with it on, think before speaking, or perhaps just refrain from responding in this thread, as you're posting a continual steam of rule#1 violations at present.
woeuntoyou wrote:Speaking of HC buckets, do you think you would want buckets to only get water from source blocks
No, as that would mean you also wouldn't be able to get buckets of water from channels and such that you dug for yourself, water that you had pumped up to the top of your buildings, or anything like that.

No suggestions outside the suggestion sub-forum please.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

You can just dig a channel from the side of the river and put a farm there. You know, an...irrigation, channel, thing.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
eternal8phoenix

Post by eternal8phoenix »

Or just build a dirt platform out on the ocean. Quick word of warning though, it can lead to some weird mob behavior. I frequently hear the dying cries of mobs who for unknown reasons chose to swim under my house. Not just zombies (which would make sense as I have animals near there but spiders and creepers too... No idea why...
jwideman

Post by jwideman »

eternal8phoenix wrote:Or just build a dirt platform out on the ocean. Quick word of warning though, it can lead to some weird mob behavior. I frequently hear the dying cries of mobs who for unknown reasons chose to swim under my house. Not just zombies (which would make sense as I have animals near there but spiders and creepers too... No idea why...
Ah, of course. And it should double as a mob farm too if built on a river. I feel dumb for not thinking of this myself. Thanks for the tip.
Lars

Post by Lars »

The fun thing about minecraft is that I get to forsake personal principles, like never valueing appearance above function in design.
It is for this reason that I don't personally really like the floating dirtplatforms. I do use them when I have no other choice however, because they're very user friendly; but they look like sh*t. I get rid of them as soon as I can. I prefer to find a high water source and dig and build a channel to wherever I want to settle. That way I can build very primitive aquaducts in the late early game.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Lars wrote:It is for this reason that I don't personally really like the floating dirtplatforms. I do use them when I have no other choice however, because they're very user friendly; but they look like sh*t. I get rid of them as soon as I can. I prefer to find a high water source and dig and build a channel to wherever I want to settle. That way I can build very primitive aquaducts in the late early game.
I'm a bit confused here. Why is it necessary to do either one? I just hoe a 4-block-wide strip next to whatever nearby body of water I can easily reach, and plant hemp there. Unless you just don't have enough coastline for a farm, why go to all the trouble of building platforms or aqueducts? The only time I've ever had to engineer water flows is when I want water flowing into the top of a tallish building for automation purposes.
Lars

Post by Lars »

jkievlan wrote:
Lars wrote:It is for this reason that I don't personally really like the floating dirtplatforms. I do use them when I have no other choice however, because they're very user friendly; but they look like sh*t. I get rid of them as soon as I can. I prefer to find a high water source and dig and build a channel to wherever I want to settle. That way I can build very primitive aquaducts in the late early game.
I'm a bit confused here. Why is it necessary to do either one? I just hoe a 4-block-wide strip next to whatever nearby body of water I can easily reach, and plant hemp there. Unless you just don't have enough coastline for a farm, why go to all the trouble of building platforms or aqueducts? The only time I've ever had to engineer water flows is when I want water flowing into the top of a tallish building for automation purposes.
Because I don't want to spend precious wood on fencing off such a thing in the early game. If you make a dirt platform more than 10 blocks or so away from the coastline, you will not have spiders and such trampling on your crops.
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

If your floating gardens are ugly, that's on you.
Spoiler
Show

The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
Lars

Post by Lars »

TheAnarchitect wrote:If your floating gardens are ugly, that's on you.
Spoiler
Show

If I could I'd make them prettier, but I can't really do that while I'm still struggling with food production :P
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Lars wrote:If I could I'd make them prettier, but I can't really do that while I'm still struggling with food production :P
Sounds like a good reason to advance up the tech tree!

But seriously, early game builds are supposed to be a little ugly. If you could build giant palaces, underground cathedrals, or a replica of the floating gardens right after punching wood, FC'd have failed in his task to make Minecraft into a game, wouldn't he? :p
Lars

Post by Lars »

Stormweaver wrote:
Lars wrote:If I could I'd make them prettier, but I can't really do that while I'm still struggling with food production :P
Sounds like a good reason to advance up the tech tree!

But seriously, early game builds are supposed to be a little ugly. If you could build giant palaces, underground cathedrals, or a replica of the floating gardens right after punching wood, FC'd have failed in his task to make Minecraft into a game, wouldn't he? :p
I agree. I accept the fact that early game builds don't look like much. You will eventually get yourself in the luxury position of being able to break down early game builds, and rebuilding them in an esthetically more pleasing way. It's one of the fun things of progressing through the tech trees.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Lars wrote:I agree. I accept the fact that early game builds don't look like much. You will eventually get yourself in the luxury position of being able to break down early game builds, and rebuilding them in an esthetically more pleasing way. It's one of the fun things of progressing through the tech trees.
Yup, I think that BTW is starting to develop an aesthetic progression alongside its technical one, and it's something I am quite pleased with.

As I mentioned awhile ago, I've ditched the concept of "it's just an aesthetic block" and embraced the fact that aesthetics are a big part of the MC *gameplay* experience, including the satisfaction of having to work towards making something pretty in your world, and considering the availability of particular materials when doing so.
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

the only bad thing about taking out the optional ability to use buckets would be moving lava :/ currently there is no way to move lava up something >...> that's my biggest gripe with HC buckets. With them turned on I can't make a small lava pool in my smithing building (where I store ore, anvil etc...) or anything else aesthetic or functional with lava because most lava is deep underground with that occasional pool forming somewhere above ground.
Rawr :D