Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Sinornithosaurus

Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

Last edited by Sinornithosaurus on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: Vale Undecim

Post by Sarudak »

Descriptive thread title please
Katalliaan

Re: Matt Smith leaving Doctor Who

Post by Katalliaan »

Well, it was bound to happen eventually. I personally hope the next doctor is more like Eccleston's, rather than another Tennant or Smith. If "The Name of the Doctor" was any indication, we just might get that.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

How many lives does he have left anyway?
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

He's had a really good run. Hopefully his departure is handled..better than Ten's was. (Which got the point I was GLAD he was gone. Blargh.)

Fingers crossed for someone other than a white dude for the next Doctor, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up.

Edit:
Sarudak wrote:How many lives does he have left anyway?
Technically I think he's only supposed to have had 12 regenerations - can't remember where/when that was stated - but there's a bunch of ways around that. Pretty sure there's old Who that has a villain that is post-12th regen doctor gone evil.

There's also River's sacrifice in Let's KIll Hitler that probably gave him a bunch more.
Last edited by Miss_Kat on Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aJaroOllie

Post by aJaroOllie »

Matt Smith is supposed to have 2 more re-incarnations, according to Tom Baker's quote when he regenerated, but apparently in an episode of Sarah Jane Adventures he said he had unlimited regenerations, so the whole back story of 12 regenerations has gone out of the window :P
IGN: Matthew_OJ
Sinornithosaurus

Post by Sinornithosaurus »

Sarudak wrote:How many lives does he have left anyway?
Infinite as far as I know, I think it's because all the other Time Lords are gone
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

His next incarnation is the last one. I think they might even end the series next season or the one after.

At least that's what I understood.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

From what I've seen the Time Lords restrict themselves to only 12 regenerations (it was a kind of a rule) but since he is the only remaining Time Lord since the Time Wars (of which he refuses to return to) it has been hinted he could have more but it has never been verified (I believe). River Song's sacrifice suggested that it only saved his life not extended his regenerations (but I could be wrong) it did however use all her regenerations up to save him.

There's been a fair bit of criticism in the news about doctor who saying the show is partly racist (I don't see how) and pro-slavery (erm?) and that the lead role should be open to not just white males. To be honest the role has always been given to a male since the companions have been primarily female with both characters working synergy suggesting neither is dominant e.g. the doctor makes his mistakes so does the companion, they both have virtues that work well in certain situations etc. As for the race of the doctor, people are really complaining about this? I personally just want a good actor who brings a fresh unique personality to the role that reflects the current state of the doctor e.g. Eccleston played a more reserved, serious and less flamboyant doctor, who was just recovering from the Time Wars, it fit well. Surely that's more important than whether he's blue, green, black or white, no?

But so far according to the lore from the original series, the next doctor is the twelfth doctor who'll have one more regeneration remaining.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Katalliaan wrote:Well, it was bound to happen eventually. I personally hope the next doctor is more like Eccleston's, rather than another Tennant or Smith. If "The Name of the Doctor" was any indication, we just might get that.
I'm not sure why exactly, but I was never a big fan of Eccleston. Tennant was definitely my favorite. Him basically going powermad toward the end of Water on Mars was one of my favorite moments in the series, actually. I think they're going to actually go back to the time war with John Hurt though. That ought to be interesting :)
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Yeah, that sounds about right, going by what was said at the end of "The Name of the Doctor". But that's why I hope for another Eccleston - the Time War was supposedly a hellish time/place, and a serious Doctor would fit better than one like Tennant's or Smith's.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Chiwetel Ejiofor is likely to be tapped as the 12th Doctor.

That is all.
Better is the enemy of Good
Aesc

Post by Aesc »

DaveYanakov wrote:Chiwetel Ejiofor is likely to be tapped as the 12th Doctor.

That is all.
Yes please.
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

A black doctor would shush the whole "Doctor Who is racist" debate of course.

I don't care either way really and I don't think the doctor should be either gender or skin color. The doctor is however, as a character, typified by being a very British male. I would personally continue that trend, which probably means he should be white as well, but an excellent actor like Chiwetel Ejiofor certainly has enough British flair to carry the role.

Besides that, I found Eccleston to be somewhat "American" in appearance and he carried the role perfectly.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Chiwetel has more british in him than Matt Smith and David Tennant combined. I don;t give a toss about the colour of his skin, I just think he's a great actor with more than enough range. Casting him as the Doctor would be overkill.
Better is the enemy of Good
Gilberreke

Post by Gilberreke »

DaveYanakov wrote:Chiwetel has more british in him than Matt Smith and David Tennant combined. I don;t give a toss about the colour of his skin, I just think he's a great actor with more than enough range. Casting him as the Doctor would be overkill.
Yeah, that was my point. I don't care about the skin color, I care about how British they appear. I wouldn't really like a Jamaican style Doctor or an African style doctor, but that has nothing to do with skin color. You are correct that Chiwetel is very British indeed.

There's something so charming about the whole galaxy revolving around a British eccentric.