No fear of heights

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
jakerman999

No fear of heights

Post by jakerman999 »

I'm up fifty meters in the air, building a tower. Hanging on to walls with just my toes. I can't see the ground, and a fall from this height would surely kill me twice over. But it's all good, I'm safe. I'm holding shift.

I will refrain from solution details, but the problem as I see it is thus: all the danger and fear of heights is negated by one key. Similar to nights being negated by one block.
johnt

Re: No fear of heights

Post by johnt »

Eh, you can always be killed by random creepers. Do you really want to get knocked off by a random bird or something while you're trying to build? Would that make things more fun?
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Trying to recall the times I actually shift when up high. Maybe just building tall things once well established. I go with guard rails in other places cause mobs will still get you.
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

A lot of minecraft building is based on the fact that you can lean over an edge to place a block on the side of it. This would make that absolutely impossible, especially with the at-times clunky movement of minecraft, especially if any sort of latency is involved between server and client. Deaths caused by the Windows Sticky Keys prompt are common enough as is, the game really doesn't need more latency related deaths that the player have no way to prevent, other than never building anything more than 15 blocks above ground.
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

Thalarctia wrote:A lot of minecraft building is based on the fact that you can lean over an edge to place a block on the side of it. This would make that absolutely impossible, especially with the at-times clunky movement of minecraft, especially if any sort of latency is involved between server and client. Deaths caused by the Windows Sticky Keys prompt are common enough as is, the game really doesn't need more latency related deaths that the player have no way to prevent, other than never building anything more than 15 blocks above ground.
You know you can turn off the sticky keys prompt, right?
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
KittenToaster

Post by KittenToaster »

I think Mr Kitty sums this idea up with a massive facepalm.

There are things the MC engine can do and things it cannot do. I tried to build an 8x8 platform without shift and it was painfully frustrating, mostly because when you tap forward you either don't move at all or on occasions move 1 block. FC has paid heed to this and has not implemented anything in BTW that relies on the performance of the MC engine.

Please don't make suggestions that you haven't tried yourself.
Last edited by KittenToaster on Fri May 31, 2013 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Vimes

Post by Sam Vimes »

Benanov wrote:
Thalarctia wrote:A lot of minecraft building is based on the fact that you can lean over an edge to place a block on the side of it. This would make that absolutely impossible, especially with the at-times clunky movement of minecraft, especially if any sort of latency is involved between server and client. Deaths caused by the Windows Sticky Keys prompt are common enough as is, the game really doesn't need more latency related deaths that the player have no way to prevent, other than never building anything more than 15 blocks above ground.
You know you can turn off the sticky keys prompt, right?
Sweet Lord can it be true?
Tsugumi Henduluin

Post by Tsugumi Henduluin »

Personally, I don't really think this is a good idea. I still clearly remember the pre-shift days. They weren't fun, at all.
I can think of one or two ways to improve/nerf the shift functionality, but to remove it entirely? I think that falls into the realm of artificial difficulty, which is generally horrendous for one's enjoyment of a game.

Not to mention that, as people above me already said, there are still plenty of dangers even with shift. A single stray arrow from a skeleton across the lava pool you're bridging over, can really ruin your day. As can a misplaced half-block/stair or an old, worn-out keyboard, like mine :p
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

People work on tall scaffolds without problems all the time, man. While I agree that it would be interesting, as an actual mechanic it just means you would have to put three times the effort into building scaffolding. Then as an added bonus you get to spent three times the time, effort and tool durability tearing it all back down.

I just don't see this adding much of anything. The fear that my pinky will slip or that my keyboard will momentarily stop transmitting that particular command is terror enough.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Bad idea. Enjoy your vacation.