'Experience'

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Kryppers

'Experience'

Post by Kryppers »

To quote Flowerchild:

The 2nd thing I'm trying to address is world restart syndrome, because I personally know that the more time you invest in a world, the more fun the game becomes, and the more difficult it is to work your way up the tech tree, the more attached you will ultimately be to your world, the more proud of it you will be, and the less likely you'll be to want to just ditch it in favor of a new one.

Mayhaps an introduction of a increased effeciency of an action based entirely on the amount of times that action has been performed would help to alleviate this. The simplest example would be along the lines of 'I have cut down x amount of logs, and now I am marginally faster or break tools less quickly', but I feel that something more elegant could be achieved.

It might well be tied into the idea of 'ages of progression' that you've already established within the game but with an essence of cultural and technological development of the individual (or individuals) playing in the world.
For example; Kryppers has harvested x amount of resources, built an array of simple tools, and has remained alive for a number of days. *ping* Kryppers now has a better understanding of the world around him and receives a % increase to various factors relating to these actions.

If the requirements are tailored correctly then the achievements could be acquired quite naturally within the normal course of the gameplay to avoid that feeling of grinding and encourage (as achievements should) a tuitional progression through the earlier stages. Certain blocks and recipes further down the tech tree might only become available once your character has reached a certain stage of advancement and hopefully this would encourage players to stick with a world they've already invested time in and speed up the recovery from the point of death to a state of reasonable comfort (if only marginally).

Of course there's all manner of things that could be tied into this, such as blocks and recipes unlocked by your character's progression, optional divergent pathways (I'm imagining the whole system somewhat visually based on the existing achievement layout at the moment) that represent the mastery of a discipline and potential setbacks and negative progression via repetitive deaths to stop the system becoming too much of a safety net, but these of course are simply the sprinkles applied on-top a suggestion and I'm sure I can spare the details.
Azdoine

Re: 'Experience'

Post by Azdoine »

I don't think this really solves the problem you're talking about, or fits this mod.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Indeed.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah...the OP may have also noticed my recent small rant about RPG mechanics having no place in MC.

Or he's just trolling. Either way: terrible idea.